PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfield Resigns

nismodave
11-08-2006, 04:18 PM
He was given a bad rep IMO. Hope the next guy does as good a job.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_resigns

MurphysLaw88GT
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
i seen that

Nix
11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
^^^^word^^^

fireguyrick
11-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I personally think that the governemnt is mishandling the combat operations in Iraq. Much of that blame does fall flat on Rumsfeld's face. Do not get me wrong, I am a republican supporter, but from much of what I hear from Marines I have served with there is some major issues. Speaking with those I formerly served with (many are staff NCO's or officers now) they feel that they are doing the correct thing, but the government needs to let the military run the show over in Iraq. Lets face it, many high ranking officers in the military wanted more troops from the get go. Rumsfeld and the higher ups in government denied those requests. I guess I am going to have to believe that field commanders have a slightly clearer view of current battlefield conditions, and there expert opinoins should be held fairly high.

Rick

SSDude
11-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Our fine representatives need to stay focused on defeating the islamo nazi's before we get attacked here again. It has been five years since 9\11. Guys like Rumsfield have been doing a great job. What the media regularly ignores are the anti american protests were the islamonuts are marching throughout the middle east and other parts of the world calling for our death. The are breeding armies of children that hate us for being an open, sucessful society. The democRATS will spend the next two years trying to dig dirt on any republican and they will accomplish nothing of value for the people.
Just my 2cents

subliminal1284
11-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Now if bush would just resign...... :banana

Goat Roper
11-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Our fine representatives need to stay focused on defeating the islamo nazi's before we get attacked here again. It has been five years since 9\11. Guys like Rumsfield have been doing a great job. What the media regularly ignores are the anti american protests were the islamonuts are marching throughout the middle east and other parts of the world calling for our death. The are breeding armies of children that hate us for being an open, sucessful society. The democRATS will spend the next two years trying to dig dirt on any republican and they will accomplish nothing of value for the people.
Just my 2cents

First, don't lump all Muslims in the "islamo nazi" group. Just as Christians don't want to be lumped together with people who bomb abortion clincs and protest at soldier's funerals in God's name most Muslims don't wish to be affiliated with people who fly planes into buildings.

Secondly you must take into account the vast cultural differences between the Middle East and America. All religions tend to go way overboard in their responses (by our standards) in that area of the world. Jews, Christians, Muslims, it makes no difference. There are thousands of years of history you must understand.

Thirdly, the greatest breeding of terrorists today is our occupation of Iraq. Our own government reported a few weeks ago that the single greatest threat to our country's safety is on our own hands.

It is a big, complicated world and you cannot look at from strictly one side, even if that one side is the only one that matters to an individual.

Prince Valiant
11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
First, don't lump all Muslims in the "islamo nazi" group.
I don't think he is...he calling all the islamist that are currently fighting against US and iraqi troops islamo-nazi's. He shouldn't have to make a distinction b/w a regular muslim with those who choose to fight against the gov't of iraq (that's what they are in fact fighting)

It'll be nice to get a fresher perspective...maybe give the generals a little more leeway, or a little less. We'll see the new direction, or new goals if any established.

Rumsfeld strength was in *re-inventing* the military to make it more mobile, and two increase the number of bases, while decreasing base sizes worldwide so that they could more quickly and mobilize to smaller regional conflicts as will likely be needed in the future, especially considering the nature of the war on terror...he's in large part done this, so now we can move on without him.

SSDude
11-08-2006, 08:49 PM
I would say Valiant has got it right about the muslims. While many of them choose to be peaceful others are not. Just look at how they like to kill each other for being shiite or sunni. A religion of peace i think not. Take a little time and read what the Kuran has to say about nonbelievers or anyone who would leave their religion.

What Bush is saying about our the single greatest threat to our country's safety is on our own hands is that if we abandon the people of Iraq by leaving them unprotected they will be overrun by Iran and the people of Iraq will be back to a misirable life as with Saddam.
After WWII it took more than 10 years to get things straightened out with Japan so they could run their own lives. It may take that long in Iraq as well but it is an investment that can change the middle east for the better into the future.

Bush and Rumsfield have the greatest idea in taking the fight to the people who want to attack us and disrupting their training . It's much better to fight them and preoccupy them with a fight in their part of the world instead of trying to fend them off from attacking us here.

Robert Gates isn't even in the job for one day and he is already being attacked.

73Dustr
11-10-2006, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=SSDude]I would say Valiant has got it right about the muslims. While many of them choose to be peaceful others are not. Just look at how they like to kill each other for being shiite or sunni. A religion of peace i think not. Take a little time and read what the Kuran has to say about nonbelievers or anyone who would leave their religion.[QUOTE]

Muslims are just like any other religous groups. You have your extremists that go way overboard and tend to create false stereotypes. As far as the Koran goes, I am somewhat confused with what some of the messages are trying to say. Obviously I have not read the whole book, but I have seen some passages that do not exactly seem peaceful in regards to those who do not follow the Muslim way of life. Given the wording, perhaps this is why extremists use the Koran as a way to mislead younger people and breed more extremists.

HITMAN
11-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Now if bush would just resign...... :banana

Now if you would just stop breathing my air...:punch:

HITMAN
11-10-2006, 12:38 AM
My biggest problem with Bush is his cronyism. Why did he pick this guy? Because he's another Good Ol' Boy buddy from Texas? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that Gates isn't a qualified individual, but why not pick someone with a military background? The first person I thought of when I heard Rumsfeld was stepping down was General (ret.) "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf. The Secretary Of Defense is supposed to not only advise the President on military matters but be a liaison between the President and the Joint Chiefs of staff/Pentagon. Who better than a former respected military leader (especially one with a victorious battlefield track record) to fill this role? Maybe he wouldn't have taken the job, but IMO, he or someone of similar military stature should have been tapped for the job before some former spook that was one of Bush's Hold 'Em partners. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies2/1poke.gif

fireguyrick
11-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Stormin Norman does not hold a fond place in my heart. He would be a poor choice. He was a commander that pretty much hated special operations units. That was a big reason they were not used very much in the first gulf war. In the combat of today spec ops is becoming even more important. Aside from that, sure he would be ok.

Rick

SSDude
11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Gates being a long time CIA guy ought to love spec ops.