PDA

View Full Version : more mustang help

jawint
11-02-2006, 03:45 AM
i am trying to adjust my timing, does anyone know where it is supposed to be set, and how the distributor is supposed to set, what faces where, my number one point points towards the steering wheel, but i always thought it was supposed to be paralell with the car?? the car is still dying when i step on the gas, and i can't figure out what it is.

jawint
11-02-2006, 03:47 AM
it is an 88 gt, i don't know if that really matters

Waver
11-02-2006, 07:41 AM
a lot of guys have theirs set at around 14 degrees....I took a pic of mine to give you some idea what it should look like....I have an 88 gt as well.

http://spooner.feserv.com/5/26_105_7440_sub.jpg

DirtyMax
11-02-2006, 08:09 AM
I highly recommend timing it with a light and not by what points where. And don't forget to pull the spout connector out when you base time it. 14 degrees should be a good place to start. If it pings, back it off a degree at a time.

Waver
11-02-2006, 08:12 AM
I highly recommend timing it with a light and not by what points where. And don't forget to pull the spout connector out when you base time it. 14 degrees should be a good place to start. If it pings, back it off a degree at a time.

Agreed, use my pic as more of a starting point....or a reference....

Poncho
11-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Agreed, use my pic as more of a starting point....or a reference....

do you guys have magical setups completely different than a SBC where the dist can only go in one way??

marks mean nothing.

get cyl 1 @ TDC and make sure your rotor is even pointing @ your supposeded #1. make sure all plugs and wires are good. then go from there. don't just guess, thats the worst thing you can do.

Waver
11-02-2006, 08:45 AM
do you guys have magical setups completely different than a SBC where the dist can only go in one way??

marks mean nothing.

get cyl 1 @ TDC and make sure your rotor is even pointing @ your supposeded #1. make sure all plugs and wires are good. then go from there. don't just guess, thats the worst thing you can do.

We are not saying that he shouldnt do that, all I am saying is that if the car is timed correct, and the cap is set up right it should look like what I have in the pic. Kind of like what they have in say a chiltons....We are just assuming that he checked the plugs, wires, and cap and rotor first before he started messing with the timing.

Poncho
11-02-2006, 08:56 AM
just a fair warning because a few weeks ago a kid PMed me on thirgen.org about retiming his '89 2.8 v6 firebird, and I thought he had a clue, and instead took my directions 100% literal, basically broke 6 plugs, broke 6 wires, then put it on all ****ed up, and couldn't get it to run, dumbass forgot to put a new rotor back on. a local shop fixed it after it got towed (lol)

then if that wasn't warning enough he decided to tackle the task of replacing a fuel filter, and broke a line. last I talked to him he was gonna fix it himself.

He decided he was gonna fix it on his own! what was he thinking! I haven't heard from him in like two weeks.

I assume he's dead by now.

Waver
11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Well that is just an example of people working on their car that has no business even checking the oil....At least do the basics.....

hemdog
11-02-2006, 01:25 PM
i am trying to adjust my timing, does anyone know where it is supposed to be set, and how the distributor is supposed to set, what faces where, my number one point points towards the steering wheel, but i always thought it was supposed to be paralell with the car?? the car is still dying when i step on the gas, and i can't figure out what it is.

Sounds like a sensor issue to me. I've had dizzys a few teeth off before, they ran like shit, but never died when I stepped on the gas.

Like JudgeThis said before though, make sure your base timing is set correctly instead of guessing where #1 should be.

jawint
11-04-2006, 11:31 PM
i adjusted the distributor and ignition timing and it's running better, but it still lags a little, it doesn't overheat anymore, and i also gave it a complete tune up.

Waver
11-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Could be now that you need to get the car tuned.....