PDA

View Full Version : Work Van Poll

d0nut
10-26-2006, 08:56 PM
I have a new gig as a fork lift tech and they are letting me pick the van I get. Will be brandy new so let's hear some opinions/ideas.

I am liking the Sprinter Diesel. Anyone know anythin bout em?

I have been training with a guy that runs a Chevy 1 ton with a Duramax. Nice van but I feel cramped in it. They seem to have a mix of all kinds so they are open minded.....

hemdog
10-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I voted for the Ford 1 ton. They have very few problems and will take a serious beating. Major problem with them is the ball joints wearing out, but replace them with joints that have grease zerks and they will last a lot longer.

nismodave
10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Ive been using work Vans for 12 years at different companys.

The Chevys were by far the best.

Lash
10-26-2006, 09:11 PM
^ x2

Chevy 1 ton. :)

scaleracer
10-26-2006, 09:13 PM
go for the chevy 1 ton

88Nightmare
10-27-2006, 06:19 AM
dodge sprinters are the same thing as those freightliner 250 and 350 vans. not a big fan of them. I've seen some of those have problems. Go with either a durmax chevy or a powerstroke ford van.

awsomeears
10-27-2006, 07:03 AM
There all junk and fall apart, there called work VAN'S so you figured they'd make them like a tank but nooooooooooooo they dont. I would say the Ford.

:-)

UnderPSI
10-27-2006, 07:03 AM
We use chevy at work. I prefer them over the couple fords that we had.

beer guy
10-27-2006, 09:03 AM
We use ford vans at my work you would be suprised at the amount of weight they haul and the beating they take

HRSEPLA
10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
I have been using work vans for 16 years and I think between performance and the mechanicals the chevs and the fords have been pretty equal in my experience. Although I lost more races in our Chevys...:)

hemdog
10-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Do the newer Chevys still have the huge doghouse and tight footwells? I always got annoyed by that with the older ones.

Slow Joe
10-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Buying new or used? The diesel will retain it's value better for resale in the long run, and they're extremely reliable... Of course, I'm a Ford guy so I say FORD!!! And if it's a used one... the 300 I6 is a good motor, but I'm sure you already knew that... :thumbsup

d0nut
10-27-2006, 05:08 PM
But I can score a 170 Falcon Six in the 63!

I am considering the GMC/Chevy with a diesel. I need to sit in the drivers side of the Chevy and see how I fit. The pass side is tight and I have big feet....

Buying new or used? The diesel will retain it's value better for resale in the long run, and they're extremely reliable... Of course, I'm a Ford guy so I say FORD!!! And if it's a used one... the 300 I6 is a good motor, but I'm sure you already knew that... :thumbsup

88Nightmare
10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
most vans are that way. I know my previous employer had a 2000 E350 econoline with the 5.4, and it had about 250k miles and still ran strong. ball joints were in need of replacing but otherwise she was good. and I know everyone beats the hell out of it. AC still blew ice cold.

84hurst
10-28-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd say a Ford w/ a diesel. There are four w/ over 300k on ebay right now and I remember seeing one w/ over 700k. I'm not really a Ford guy, but those things seem to go forever! :thumbsup

d0nut
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I have pretty much set my mind on a GMC with a Diesel. I ran a Ford that last few days and it just didn't feel right. I have big feet and when I hit the gas pedal I was on the brakes half the time. The back doors just don't open as far as the GMC's do.

The one I ran had a Triton in it and it seemed to be kind of noisy for having 50k on the clock. Is that a common thing???

Of course I could get a GMC with an LS1........

0TransAm0
10-31-2006, 08:05 PM
so are you NOT working at the bike shop in racine anymore or is this just a second job? for the winter?

d0nut
10-31-2006, 08:16 PM
I quit working down there a couple weeks ago and got a regular adult job. There were days that I lost money by driving to Racine. My new gig pays hourly, is M-F and I have family insurance for $75 a month! :wooo

Thry supply uniforms, tools, the van, gas and a company credit card. I will still work on bikes from home so feel free to ask me for help anytime.

so are you NOT working at the bike shop in racine anymore or is this just a second job? for the winter?

0TransAm0
10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
ah i C, i figured you got payed hourly at the bike shop. that sucks that you didn't. but hell 75 a month for the family is cheep i pay 80 a month for my self and the insurance sucks balls.

d0nut
10-31-2006, 08:28 PM
It;s a cool gig for the most part and they even paid me for the week before I started. We sure as hell needed it......

ah i C, i figured you got payed hourly at the bike shop. that sucks that you didn't. but hell 75 a month for the family is cheep i pay 80 a month for my self and the insurance sucks balls.

88Nightmare
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
speaking of forklifts, I use a brand new Yale forklift at work. I popped the "hood" today and saw on the engine saying "Vortec". Looked like the same vortec logo chevy's have on their engines. this engine, although I didnt get a good look at it, appeared to be a 4 cylinder, I thought I saw 4 seperate horns coming off the intake. does this really have a vortec 4 cylinder in my forklift? this lift moves pretty good considering it weighs over 11,000 lbs according to the vehicle tag on the dashboard.

d0nut
11-01-2006, 05:34 AM
I am mainly working on Komatsu stuff and they are powered by Nissan 4cyls. It seems that Nissan is the standard for gas trucks. The Vortec might be a rebadged Nissan?

The place I am working at has been a Raymond electric dealer since forever and the gas trucks are new to them. I was told Toyota owns Raymond so I guess I am a Toyota/Nissan tech now......

speaking of forklifts, I use a brand new Yale forklift at work. I popped the "hood" today and saw on the engine saying "Vortec". Looked like the same vortec logo chevy's have on their engines. this engine, although I didnt get a good look at it, appeared to be a 4 cylinder, I thought I saw 4 seperate horns coming off the intake. does this really have a vortec 4 cylinder in my forklift? this lift moves pretty good considering it weighs over 11,000 lbs according to the vehicle tag on the dashboard.

88Nightmare
11-01-2006, 05:39 PM
we got a couple of cat forklifts too, they are pretty nifty

d0nut
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I think someone told me the Cat ones are made by Nissan and rebadged?

The electric ones trip me out the most. They do some crazy shit and are so quiet. THey are almost like running a robot. A lot of computerized stuff and hydrualics. They have guidance systems that read off wires in the floor and do all kinds of scary things.....

we got a couple of cat forklifts too, they are pretty nifty

BadAzzGTA89
11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I think someone told me the Cat ones are made by Nissan and rebadged?

The electric ones trip me out the most. They do some crazy shit and are so quiet. THey are almost like running a robot. A lot of computerized stuff and hydrualics. They have guidance systems that read off wires in the floor and do all kinds of scary things.....
Well this is muffed up Cat with a rice engine what next peterbuilts with rebadged nissan engines:mad: