PDA

View Full Version : I like onstar

88Nightmare
10-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Got my monthly email update on my truck, contains a diagnosis of my engine/trans system, emissions system, air bag system, ABS, and a self diagnosis of the onstar system itself telling me if anything is wrong and whether or not it needs periodic maintenance, and then it tells me my current mileage and oil life percentage. it also tells me how many minutes are left on the hands free onstar phone, when the minutes expire, and how long my XM radio subscription is good for. its kinda cool :headbang

hrsp
10-25-2006, 07:31 PM
show off...:)

0TransAm0
10-25-2006, 07:44 PM
if my car had onstar id like it too. but whatever.. :)

Big Boost
10-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Ha...my cousin is a dumb ass considering he works for GM. People tend to forget that first and foremost Onstar is a GPS based navigation system. Well, put it this way...he was late coming home from work and made a "detour". His wife put in a call to Onstar to locate where the vehicle was. She was given the location and he ended up gettin' busted. Onstar is very cool indeed, but just another long technological innovation that has hurt the player.

BadAzzGTA89
10-25-2006, 08:09 PM
I have it and love it!

88Nightmare
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I think its nifty to have. I never thought about it this much before I had it, but now that I got it, I don't know if i would want to go without it. they can remotely unlock your doors if you lock your keys in the car, they can call emergency services if your air bags are deployed, it works as a hands free phone as well. If your vehicle is stolen, they can track it via GPS. I'd say for 14 per month its worth it.

USMARINE1108
10-25-2006, 08:21 PM
In the news about a year ago down here in SC there was a story about a drug dealer who was showing off his onstar. He called them and hung up right away, so onstar called the police. The fuzz showed up and busted him for all the drugs sitting on the back seat.

88Nightmare
10-25-2006, 08:48 PM
nice. stupid people.....

DirtyMax
10-25-2006, 10:04 PM
It's cool and pretty scary at the same time. Both cases outlined well in previous posts.

88Nightmare
10-26-2006, 07:56 PM
well considering onstar could pretty much tell me everything about my truck when I call them and they can track it via gps, Im sure they could tell when im speeding.....

Flight_740
10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Got my monthly email update on my truck, contains a diagnosis of my engine/trans system, emissions system, air bag system, ABS, and a self diagnosis of the onstar system itself telling me if anything is wrong

Isnt that what a check engine light is for?:rolf

88Nightmare
10-27-2006, 07:46 PM
the check engine light just tells you there is a problem, onstar tells me exactly what it is. slight difference :D

Arigmaster
10-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Onstar is cool but Big Brother is watching too...

Here is some worthwhile reading. You can also be monitored even if your Onstar account isn't active....

http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/onstar.htm

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/car-guide-2005/big-brother2.asp

:stare :stare :eek:

88Nightmare
10-28-2006, 07:23 AM
i have nothing to hide. let em listen in on me, im sure id give em somethin to laugh about :D

hemdog
10-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Ha...my cousin is a dumb ass considering he works for GM. People tend to forget that first and foremost Onstar is a GPS based navigation system. Well, put it this way...he was late coming home from work and made a "detour". His wife put in a call to Onstar to locate where the vehicle was. She was given the location and he ended up gettin' busted. Onstar is very cool indeed, but just another long technological innovation that has hurt the player.

:rolf

Fun when your drunk. Always pisses my buddy off when I push the button. "OnStar, may I help you? Sorry, my friend was just pushing buttons."

mike90lxII
10-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Nothing to hide but still wouldn't want to be tracked or listened to with out me knowing.

Just like gps cell phones?

88Nightmare
10-28-2006, 04:46 PM
it still doesnt bother me, let em listen.