PDA

View Full Version : Hot rodding a compact diesel, first attempt.

BAD LS1
10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Well i was tasked at work to assemble a turbo charged version of this little in line 3 cylinder diesel.

Basically got a 3 boxes full of engine parts back from warranty dept that were all blown up engines:rolf I mean BAD blown up too!

So now i assembled a model 58A (H.O. in other words) 34 HP version with the "9U5" pump ( moves a few more cc's of fuel vs smaller pumps)

Peiced them all together to make one good engine, and essembled the engine from scratch one afternoon last week. Went ahead and removed our N/A diesel off the test stand and dumped this turbo version on.

Well for some time prior to this project ive been reading up alot on this exact engine and the special parts that go on it. Namely the injection pump, injectors and turbo.

I was able to obtain a Bosch VE service manual on the injection pump which i read from cover to cover, which in a nutshell, its as complicated as a human heart! We dont even reccomend servicing them, take it to a pro.

But on to the good stuff! During assembly i had to time the injection pump, well there is a procedure to follow, and factory specs. So all i did was go 3mm beyond reccomended base timing. and then took the injectors and put them in a special tester that read pop off pressure. changed out shim washers in all 3 to make the injectors pop at a higher PSI.

So i reassembled it, fired it up and tested it out... first thing i noticed was how insanley responsive it is!:wow It free revs like a gas engine:wooo This pump is governed to 3800 rpms as well. Then i was like a kid ina candy store and giddy because the tiny little IHI turbo on it is noisy as ****! when u are in the room and its running, you hear that more than the engine. The turbo's waste gate moves at about 8 PSi of boost, under decent load its pouring almost 14 lbs of boost in:headbang The engine is loaded by a generator thats attached to the stand and driven by belts.

Here is a short 13 second video of it running and making a few free revs. Have the sound up because you can hear just how noisy the turbo is!

Karp's t/a works in the dept that deals with these engines too BTW. This is just a side project at work. ill have a part 2 shortly when i play with some other things.

http://media.putfile.com/Daihatsu-turbo-diesel-hot-rodded

Hopefully the link works

TURTLE
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
so i've gotta ask the question... what kinda egt was it pulling and get any a/f ratios? :goof

seriously though... that's pretty f'in sweet... just gotta strap it on a go-kart or sumptin... 4x4 style...:thumbsup

Karps TA
10-24-2006, 07:22 PM
LOL, don't let this info get out!! Bad enough every trade show I go to, people see the turbo and ask me if they can buy just it for their go-kart. :lmao:

...blown up engines..... Nope, don't know anything about that...... :)

If you're really going to hot rod it make sure it has the updated valve cover and oil pan. If you need them let me know I can send them up to you.

Karps TA
10-24-2006, 07:25 PM
If you're interested in some of the stuff that engine is on, here's one of the more "Fun" applications.

www.tomcar.com

BAD LS1
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Its got the updated valve cover, its from an 04' engine. The pan does not have baffle's though!

I have not disconnected that breather tube from the intake elbow yet either, So hopefully it doesnt spit oil and or turn into a run away diesel either. But right now its a show and tell engine. i just got a whole 950DT runner in a box from Tim C. recently as well he he.

I have an EGT and other thermo couple's i have not hooked up yet. Just got it running.

Brandon have you seen them this snotty before?

Karps TA
10-24-2006, 07:55 PM
What do you mean by snotty? I don't speak technical. lol

UnderPSI
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
That would be nice for the golf cart project we are doing this winter. :devil

Lash
10-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Thats effin sweet!!!!

BAD LS1
10-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Snotty as in "a mean little bastard engine" that free revs as willingly as this one.

all the other ones i played with where kinda turds for responce, but they were bone stock.

SmokinRAM114
10-24-2006, 10:28 PM
does the wastegate have a vaccum or like an actuater arm? you should lock it shut for some more top end. if its anything like a cummins it isnt hard to do.

BadAzzGTA89
10-25-2006, 07:13 AM
does the wastegate have a vaccum or like an actuater arm? you should lock it shut for some more top end. if its anything like a cummins it isnt hard to do.
Or a CAT:thumbsup

Karps TA
10-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Snotty as in "a mean little bastard engine" that free revs as willingly as this one.

all the other ones i played with where kinda turds for responce, but they were bone stock.

I guess I always thought they were pretty responsive.

If you're really going to play with it, might want to open the breather to atmosphere. You know just in case. lol

PonyKiller87
10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
So whats this project for? Are they trying to develop something new, or just playing around with parts and keeping you busy??? Just curious.

Put that thing in one of those little mini crotch rockets, now that would be fun.

Al
10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
That would make a nice small boat engine.

If I had a few extra $$$ right now, I'd build one of these and power it with one of those.
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/inboard-images/dsn-cbxe3.jpg

Better range and cruise with a diesel.

SmokinRAM114
10-25-2006, 05:38 PM
i like the underpsi's post bout the golfcart. narrow a dana 44 infront and a 9in in rear, lift it, on 245's man ud have a golfcart!

SmokinRAM114
10-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Or a CAT:thumbsup

turn buckle, adjustable elbow or a vise grips lol?

Flight_740
10-25-2006, 06:07 PM
vid won't play for me.

BadAzzGTA89
10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
turn buckle, adjustable elbow or a vise grips lol?
You lost me?

0TransAm0
10-25-2006, 06:38 PM
vid won't play for me.

me either.. dont know why but it locked up mozilla firefox....

CruxGNZ
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
me either.. dont know why but it locked up mozilla firefox....
Had the same problem with Mozilla freezing.

Goat Roper
10-25-2006, 10:24 PM
It requires a MS plug-in (uses WMP)

SmokinRAM114
10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
You lost me?

how does the waste gate get locked on the cat? or leeme think does it even have a waste gate?

hemdog
10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
That is really cool. Looks like a fun job. What do you do?