PDA

View Full Version : Extreme fighting is very bad according to MSNBC...

Yooformula
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
They have a segment on now about how it erodes society and is terrible for kids..I dont recall them blasting WWE as much when they were/are raunchy and have more blood. Oh well, more people trying to tell me what I can and cant watch.:flipoff2:

twirkin50
10-23-2006, 09:11 PM
No worse than watching the animals at a college football game bodyslam other players and go after them swinging their helmets.

twirkin50
10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
The news channels can get bent!!!

Yooformula
10-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh for crying out loud! Some experts claiming that never in history has a society ever relished in violence..HELLO EVER HEAR OF THE ROMANS? Over millions died as gladiators. John McCain needs to shut up and stop breathing. I cant believe they dont blast boxing, but I guess they make too much money by rigging it nowadays.

Car Guy
10-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Oh for crying out loud! Some experts claiming that never in history has a society ever relished in violence..HELLO EVER HEAR OF THE ROMANS? Over millions died as gladiators. John McCain needs to shut up and stop breathing. I cant believe they dont blast boxing, but I guess they make too much money by rigging it nowadays.

I agree 100%.....

nismodave
10-23-2006, 09:46 PM
As much as I hate to agree with MSNBC........I agree, it is too violent for kids to watch.

Society is getting worse and worse, with the numbness to violence.

At least with WWE there is a Cartoonish element to it.

Those guys are truely trying to beat one another half to death, UFC and such.

At least dont put it on Prime time TV.

I await the flaming.

moels
10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Everyone has their opinions and that is cool with me. My opinion is that the MMA fighting today seems cleaner than a WWE show. Also, I let my kids watch a little UFC once in awhile because I want them to know what fighting has evolved into. I teach them to defend themselves and I use the UFC to show them that you can't expect to stay on your feet and throw punches. In the world today, they need to know what they can expect in a fight and MMA lets me explain the possible situations they may come across.

nismodave
10-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Is that how bad it is now that people use UFC to show kids fight moves??

Wow........Im too old.

Reverend Cooper
10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
i like watching it. i try to remember some of the moves just in case dave gets out of line

Yooformula
10-23-2006, 09:56 PM
As much as I hate to agree with MSNBC........I agree, it is too violent for kids to watch.

Society is getting worse and worse, with the numbness to violence.

At least with WWE there is a Cartoonish element to it.

Those guys are truely trying to beat one another half to death, UFC and such.

At least dont put it on Prime time TV.

I await the flaming.

no flaming here.......BUT cartoonish or not, getting hit with a chair is real, getting thrown off a cage is real, body slammed on a bed of nails is real. At least with the fights, its done with a knockout or tap. The blood is a side effect and usually not as graphic as the cartoonish "real appearing" blood. In general, we are a violent society but until lawmakers focus on REAL crimes and punishment, they are just kidding themselves and putting bandaids on artery gushers by controlling what we watch. How about control what we have to endure day to day in REAL life in our backyard or on the way to work.

Remember, you can CHOOSE not to watch anything on tv but at least I have the choice!

nismodave
10-23-2006, 09:56 PM
i like watching it. i try to remember some of the moves just in case dave gets out of line

Im sure you would want to wrestle me down.:sgay

Yooformula
10-23-2006, 09:57 PM
I would rather watch fights on tv that are settled like men that gangland beatings and shootings or wars waged by others.

Korndogg
10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
It's the parents fault no matter what. They need to control what their kids watch. End of story.

I know theres always the whole. Well they can probably go to their buddies house and watch it or whatever. But if all the deadbeat parents in the world stopped being fvckin idiots and watch their kids for once. This world would be a slightly better place.

Reverend Cooper
10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
shootings and gang beatings are kinda neat to tho. but thats just me i like that stuff

moels
10-23-2006, 09:59 PM
I am not showing them moves, just showing them what they can expect. Use it as an illustration so to speak. And yes, the way the youth is these days, I'd rather have my kids knowing what's up. I teach my kids self defense, which i have spent the better part of my life learning and teaching Dave. I was just saying that fighting is no longer trading blows on the feet. That's all. I am sorry you have to be negative about everything and can only see one view.

Reverend Cooper
10-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Im sure you would want to wrestle me down.:sgay

your the one that wanted me to do the triangle on ya and i said no way homer

nismodave
10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
The problem Yoo, is that alot of parents now, NOT ALL, do not take the time to teach their kids that fighting is not the solution to everything.

And that WWE, UFC, Pride, are all professionals at what they do.

Kids sit in front of a TV while parents are at work (trying to make ends meet) or who knows where.

Thats their teacher now, the TV.

Im sure the Parents here, I hope, take the time to talk to thier kids about violence, no matter how busy they are.

fireguyrick
10-23-2006, 10:05 PM
What is funny is that MMA fights are generally "safer" then boxing. There is less of a chance of long term brain damage issues. Pretty much the reason is that a knockout will happen faster without gloves then with. So fewer punches to the head is a good thing.

That being said, there is no reason kids should not be allowed to watch MMA and be ok with WWE. If a kid is dumb enough to think that fighting some kids at school MMA style is ok, they are dumb enough to think hitting someone with a chair is safe.

I have to say looking at MMA to learn moves is stupid. There is no way you could just watch it, and then practice what you saw effectively. There are a fair amount of small details in many of the moves and locks. Hey though, MMA is the best type of fighting to learn for real world scenerios. Hence, that is why I take JKD and Chung Do Mu Sool Won together.

Rick

NEWS IS THE SUCK TOO

nismodave
10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
I am sorry you have to be negative about everything and can only see one view.

You dont know me well enough to make that statement.

I see many views. And If thats part of the way you teach your kids about fighting, that your choice.

Al
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
IMO- boxing is a more formal event with more rules.

Wresteling is fake and that is what makes it different.

Lash
10-23-2006, 10:15 PM
It's the parents fault no matter what. They need to control what their kids watch. End of story.

I know theres always the whole. Well they can probably go to their buddies house and watch it or whatever. But if all the deadbeat parents in the world stopped being fvckin idiots and watch their kids for once. This world would be a slightly better place.

X2!!!
Kids should NOT be watching this stuff alone. If they are watching it...parents need to be present to explain things to them.

Isn't this the 2nd time MSNBC has played this???? They must really be trying to get a point across :rolleyes:

I would rather watch fights on tv that are settled like men that gangland beatings and shootings or wars waged by others.

Not to mention seeing the two guys stand up after a fight and shake each others hands...or congratulate the other guy on his win instead of being douche bags like the do on WWE or TNT.

And as a side note...I knew this sh!t was gonna happen. As soon as MMA gets popular...they try to shut it down. Backyard fights have been going on LONG before the UFC and other MMA organizations.
:guns1 LIBERALS

moels
10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
You dont know me well enough to make that statement.

I see many views. And If thats part of the way you teach your kids about fighting, that your choice.

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to ruffle the feathers. If your a friend of Coops, your..........well stupid.....lol j/k Coop.

Yooformula
10-23-2006, 10:17 PM
I allow my kids to watch UFC as we are big into self defense and having a strong mind as well physical strength. My kids watch with us so that we do monitor what they see and we maintain an open upbringing for them. I will say there are times when I make them turn away and I do reinforce that there are times and places for things. You would be suprised how violent video games are for youngsters and dont know how to act out or WHEN or WHERE its acceptible. I bet my 7yr old DAUGHTER could whip most boys her age asses but she doesnt go around doing body slams like WWE or like video games. And here is a kid that watches and practices with her parents. Different ways to look at it.

nismodave
10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Sorry Dave, didn't mean to ruffle the feathers. If your a friend of Coops, your..........well stupid.....

Right back at ya.;):loser

moels
10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
What is funny is that MMA fights are generally "safer" then boxing. There is less of a chance of long term brain damage issues. Pretty much the reason is that a knockout will happen faster without gloves then with. So fewer punches to the head is a good thing.

That being said, there is no reason kids should not be allowed to watch MMA and be ok with WWE. If a kid is dumb enough to think that fighting some kids at school MMA style is ok, they are dumb enough to think hitting someone with a chair is safe.

I have to say looking at MMA to learn moves is stupid. There is no way you could just watch it, and then practice what you saw effectively. There are a fair amount of small details in many of the moves and locks. Hey though, MMA is the best type of fighting to learn for real world scenerios. Hence, that is why I take JKD and Chung Do Mu Sool Won together.

Rick

NEWS IS THE SUCK TOO

I will say it again, I do not let the kids watch it to learn moves because you really can't as you have stated. I just show them that they can be taken down and other situations they may find themselves in. Real world scenerios is exactly my point. Thank you.

fireguyrick
10-23-2006, 11:45 PM
I will say it again, I do not let the kids watch it to learn moves because you really can't as you have stated. I just show them that they can be taken down and other situations they may find themselves in. Real world scenerios is exactly my point. Thank you.

Unfortunatly this thread was moving so fast you had clarified the first time while I was typing my response. Glad to see that I did not understand clearly what your intentions were originally.

Rick

VroomPshhTsi
10-24-2006, 12:02 AM
I agree with most things said on this topic. MMA is pretty safe in most of the environments it is taught. Same with boxing (which has less short term injuries but more long term from repeated blows to the head). If you train for boxing with headgear and don't have hundreds of fights you greatly reduce any possible brain injuries. Boxing today isn't successful enough because of the corruption but it's slowly improving. People like Teddy Atlas make it the great sport it should be. Dana White has been doing a pretty good job of keeping a positive light on the UFC. I just hope no one overreacts from a one sided story like the one on tv.

- Brian