PDA

View Full Version : stupid question but i figured id ask

rally_scort
10-19-2006, 01:36 PM
i was goin to go look at a 87 lx 5.0 today but i dont really know what to look for in a fox body.Could anybody let me know of common problems or trouble spots to look for on the car that might make or break the sale? The car has 160k on it but the body is in pretty decent shape.Its all stock which is what i wanted so any help would be appreciated.

UnderPSI
10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Could anybody let me know of common problems or trouble spots to look for on the car .

There is a huge sign you are going to have problems, If you walk around to the front of the car, squat down by the grill. If you see a blue oval, run like hell in the opposit direction..................Sorry, I had to.:goof

juicedimpss
10-19-2006, 02:17 PM
There is a huge sign you are going to have problems, If you walk around to the front of the car, squat down by the grill. If you see a blue oval, run like hell in the opposit direction..................Sorry, I had to.:goof
:rolf somehow i knew that was going to be the response.

DirtyMax
10-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Typical crap you'd look for in any car first off. Leaks, sloppy trans, steering/brake pull, milky oil, burnt trans fluid (if AOD), slipping clutch, etc..

On the Fox Bodys, look at the torque boxes. Cars that have had the piss beat out of them the boxes will be all ripped up. If it's all stock, the boxes probably aren't too bad though. Also, make sure it starts up and idles at a decent RPM.

rally_scort
10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Typical crap you'd look for in any car first off. Leaks, sloppy trans, steering/brake pull, milky oil, burnt trans fluid (if AOD), slipping clutch, etc..

On the Fox Bodys, look at the torque boxes. Cars that have had the piss beat out of them the boxes will be all ripped up. If it's all stock, the boxes probably aren't too bad though. Also, make sure it starts up and idles at a decent RPM.

torque boxes are located where?

DirtyMax
10-19-2006, 03:08 PM
They are what the rear control arms are bolted to then they are spot welded to the chassis.

rally_scort
10-19-2006, 03:20 PM
im guessin wheel hop,donuts,etc will cause this to happen? I just want to be able to tell the guy i know the car was beaten on and hopefully lower the price a bit.

DirtyMax
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Excessive torque, sliding sideways, etc. will cause the welds to crack and the boxes to... well, "torque". Unlikely with a stock car but wierder things have happened. If it's a stock AOD car, it's even more unlikely...

P.S. I know which car you're talking about. Wonder what it means when it says "needs exhaust work". Let me know if you pass on it. Maybe I'll buy it. Did you manage to fins out if it's an AOD or 5 speed car yet?

rally_scort
10-19-2006, 03:37 PM
ha...no i called.I really want a notch and it looks in decent shape but not saying if its an aod or t5 car doesnt help much in the sale.If its aod im passing it up.Im also wondering what they mean by exhaust work that would cause the speedo cable to be damaged.I guess ill see if i get a call back but ill let you know what i find out if i do find anything out.By the way do you think thats a fair price if say the body is decent and it needs minor work? Im not familiar with fox bodies and what money they bring with what problems so im basically looking in my pricerange at the moment and that car fits my budget.

DirtyMax
10-19-2006, 03:51 PM
If I had time, I'd go check it out with you but I'm screwed for time til next week. It's a decent price. But it's hard to tell the condition with the crappy little pics. If the trunk lid is rotted, don't let that stop you. You can get a glass repro for less than $200 I think. That's a decent price if it's all there. Go check it out and post up what you think is wrong with it and I'm sure people will tell you how much you should pay.

rally_scort
10-19-2006, 04:12 PM
alright sounds good.Ill keep you informed on what i think of it.

DirtyMax
10-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Did you buy it? Someone must have....

rally_scort
10-20-2006, 01:41 PM
nope...never got a call back.

b18cef
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
This might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdKIHxTMNDs

rally_scort
10-29-2006, 10:33 AM
yup im a noob...should i have just went and looked at the car without any knowledge of them and thought i was getting a good deal? Maybe when your stupid ass looks at a honda you dont need help but i use this board for help when i need it.Nice to see you posted a vid of your gfs kid from another brother...gtfo dork:gay

b18cef
11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
it was a joke dude.