PDA

View Full Version : collector plates.....(rant)

JC70SS
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Who here is sick of seeing collector plates on POS cars that are just old shiat. I think the state should require a picture of the car or have it brought to the DMV to see it. I have seen so many rusted out mid 80's caprices and pick-up trucks with collector plates that should not even be on the road.

Korndogg
10-16-2006, 06:32 PM
yeah its getting pretty annoying.

MurphysLaw88GT
10-16-2006, 08:30 PM
hate how the plates look.......i vote to change the colors

DynoTom
10-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I seen collector plates on a Chevette last week !

The car was in pretty bad shape overall and I would bet the lady driving it just wanted the collector plates because it works out to be cheaper..

I used to see many more people using collector plates on many "non collector" type cars in the past though.....

Brandon W.
10-16-2006, 09:41 PM
ive also noticed this.i actually think it is funny...................speaking of license plates i think i found for for the Talon...OSOSLOW....its probably taken(lets hope not)

theavenger333
10-17-2006, 01:06 AM
only thing that qualifies a vehicle for collector status is it's age. if it still is driven, it works. now HOBBYIST plates are another story

Prescott
10-17-2006, 02:24 AM
I put collector plates on all my beaters. It's way cheaper and they're yours forever. It's a one time purchase rather than paying more to register the car than the car is worth. But I'll agree, they sure are ugly!

Car Guy
10-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Who here is sick of seeing collector plates on POS cars that are just old shiat. I think the state should require a picture of the car or have it brought to the DMV to see it. I have seen so many rusted out mid 80's caprices and pick-up trucks with collector plates that should not even be on the road.

I do agree with you, but it wouldn't work, who would have the final say in someone getting the plates. How clean does it have to be, what is considered a collector, and so on, your definition of clean/collector might be vastly diferent than someone else's definition......

However, with collector plates you cannot drive a collector plated vehicle in the months of December, January, or February. At least technically you can't.....:shades

ffvetteman
10-17-2006, 09:56 AM
I just put collector plates on my 86 Trans Am, does that count as a POS?

The TA is clean no rust and newer paint. Overall clean, not like most 80's f-bodys you see.

Running is a diferent issue...

GRNDNL
10-17-2006, 10:25 AM
If you read the law Collector Plates are for stock vehicles only, NOT modified vehicles........Its good to see all of us on here are following the rules....:shades

I know a couple of people that got busted with collector plates on beaters, they had to pay some crazy fine like $300......

JC70SS
10-17-2006, 11:52 AM
My car is stock:confused

Prescott
10-17-2006, 12:11 PM
You can put collector plates on anything 20 years old or older.
You just can't drive it in the month of jan. and if a cop lights you up for having collector plates on a non stock vehicle that probably is the least of your problems. The rest of your sh!t better be in order. He's just looking for drunks and felons and the occasional asshole.

Prince Valiant
10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Who here is sick of seeing collector plates on POS cars that are just old shiat. I think the state should require a picture of the car or have it brought to the DMV to see it. I have seen so many rusted out mid 80's caprices and pick-up trucks with collector plates that should not even be on the road.Yeah, no kidding. We need to do something to keep the riff-raff's from thinking that their car is something "special". If it's not something special to me, who the hell are they to think it should be special to them?

Yes Joe, we all know you've got a great chevelle :rolleyes: And...

My car is stockNot with:
Merlin III 540, Comp hydraulic roller, callies dragonslayer crank, oliver rods, Mahle domes, Holley 950HP, TH400.I'm pretty sure it came with none of that stock. The DMV would require a hobbyist plate on that if they bothered to check.

GRNDNL
10-17-2006, 03:47 PM
You can put collector plates on anything 20 years old or older.
You just can't drive it in the month of jan. and if a cop lights you up for having collector plates on a non stock vehicle that probably is the least of your problems. The rest of your sh!t better be in order. He's just looking for drunks and felons and the occasional asshole.

Thats not exactly correct, per WI DOT Reg 341.266

(c) “Special interest vehicle” means a motor vehicle of any age
which has not been altered or modified from original manufacturers
specifications and, because of its historic interest, is being preserved
by hobbyists.

There was rumors a few years ago of cops cracking down on this and ticketing cars with aftermarket wheels and custom paint......:rolleyes:

03CVLX
10-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I know what your saying, A neighbor has a mid 80's Chrysler Lebaron Convertible... THE K-Car version of the Lebaron, and he threw the collector plates on it, I'll admit the car is virtually spotless but I still laugh when I see the plates

MurphysLaw88GT
10-18-2006, 07:01 PM
there should be 2 kinds of plates. one for teh good chit & the "i dont have the smog test or pay for tags anymore" plates

blackhorse
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
For some reason I thought you could not use this plate from Nov.-feb.???? But what do I know I have never had a car older than 88

CruxGNZ
10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I was told you can't drive in January with collector plates. Hell, my insurance won't cover my Z on the road in January either.

A few years ago, I was able to drive it December 31st. It was a warm day, so I figured, no salt, why not.

Waver
10-19-2006, 08:26 AM
here is my question....I know the collector plates (blue) are for cars 20 years and older, and the car cant be modded, and hobbiest is kind of the same but can be modded...but what about the vehicle collector plates....I saw one on a stock honda civic. Why would you collect stock honda civics?

ffvetteman
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
here is my question....I know the collector plates (blue) are for cars 20 years and older, and the car cant be modded, and hobbiest is kind of the same but can be modded...but what about the vehicle collector plates....I saw one on a stock honda civic. Why would you collect stock honda civics?

If you are talking about the normal looking white plates that say vehicle collector on the bottom, them are just normal yearly plates. you can get one if you have at least 1 collector vehicle. The plate number is the same as you collector car.

For example, I have 2 collector plates. The first collector plate is a series of numbers. Every other collector plate you get is the same numbers with a letter after it. So my Bel air has plate number 111111(not my real plate) and my Trans Am has plate number 111111A. If I get another collector plate it will be 111111B. And so on.

So I can get a white vehicle collector plate for my daily driver and it will be yearly(all emmision rules apply and yearly fee) but it will be my plate number (111111).

Hope that makes sence

ffvetteman
10-19-2006, 11:21 AM
The vehicle collector plate just shows that you have at least 1 collector vehicle, not the vehicle that it is on is the collector vehicle.

I may get one for my truck.