PDA

View Full Version : What are you guys using for a Garage Heater?

TopStreetDsm
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey Guys!

I am only going to be heating a bigger 1 car garage and I am wondering what people have had good luck with. Cheap and available is more what I am looking for, but I dont want to cheap out to the point were the thing dies on me and I am stuck in the cold with no heat.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Jake

HRSEPLA
10-11-2006, 04:15 PM
http://www.growersupply.com/modhotdawhea.html

I use the Hot Dawg 75,000 BTU for my 1000 Sq.Ft. Attached, and it is awesome.
Andy has one in his garage too.

Me and Andy also put one in for Scaffidi too, he likes to heat his neighborhood with his. lol

DocDave
10-11-2006, 04:24 PM
If your looking for something you don't have to install and run gas to I have good luck with a propane like these http://www.mastersalesonline.com/allpro/forcedair/index.html for my insulated two and half garage.

TopStreetDsm
10-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks! Yeah... I should have mentioned this. I am renting and am limited on what I can do. Thanks though Sam, I will keep those bookmarked for when I am in my own place.

Check out this one (http://www.masterdist.net/allproheaters/forcedair/propane/spc-35.html)

Is this kindof like what you have? If so, how long will a normal sized propane tank last, and do I have to worry about getting dombed off the fumes?

Thanks

DirtyMax
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
From Doc Dave's link, I found the one I use:

http://www.masterdist.net/images/allpro/spc-85.JPG

Kicks some heat but it is kind of loud being forced air all the time. It can suck through a tank in probabl;y about 2 hours at 80K BTU (high). I've never really used that setting. You can make it last double that if you run it at 50K BTU. If you warm the space up and shut it down for a while, you can make it last real long.

I have 2 electric ceramic heaters that I put on opposite corners that do a good job of maintaining the heat once the beast does its job. A fan helps coo when running the electric jobbers to circulate the heat.

That 35K one you posted is just a smaller version of the one I have. It would probably do the job just fine. Fumes aren't really a concern with my propane really but then again I tun it for 30 mins and shut it off for a while. At least not that I've noticed. Kerosene heaters on the other hand....

A B4C Z
10-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I have a dual burnner that goes on top of a propane tank. 2 car garage thats insulated. gets to about 50 in 15-20 mins....works great love it and last quite long. Doesnt really smell or make you weazey

GRAMPS SS
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
my buddy has a wall unit that runs on propane, and his garage has no insulation at all and when the wind is blowing it keeps the garage nice and toasty....i'll find out where he got it if you want...pm me and i'll give ya his number the heater burns clean...you don't smell a thing....

SLOWC5
10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
those forced propane ones always made me sick after trying to warm the garage up.

JEFF

Yooformula
10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
This is a perfect topic right now as I look for heaters again.

Cryptic
10-11-2006, 06:45 PM
http://www.mrheater.com/Upload/Image/MH125LPwhite.jpg

Mr. Heater MH125LP
and a 100lb Propane tank kicks fricken ass!

TopStreetDsm
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM

Mr. Heater MH125LP

Where did you get this one?

I was looking at the little orange tunnel ones, at home depot a few hours ago. They are only $100. I am a little worried about how safe they are though... I keep 5 gallon cans of C-16 in the garage. They are sealed but still a concern.

Cryptic
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Where did you get this one?

I was looking at the little orange tunnel ones, at home depot a few hours ago. They are only $100. I am a little worried about how safe they are though... I keep 5 gallon cans of C-16 in the garage. They are sealed but still a concern.

that place near Hobo on HWY 100 with all the tools... The name just skipped my mind right now.

Al
10-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Nothern Tool Company

Cryptic
10-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Nothern Tool Company

thats it :thumbsup

stowsea
10-11-2006, 11:06 PM
i use an old 1800 something woodstove smells good

Cryptic
10-11-2006, 11:17 PM
i use an old 1800 something woodstove smells good

yeah true... but my garage is 80 degrees in 5 minutes or less...
your still playing with kindeling :goof

My dad uses a cast iron wood stove.... it does kick ass :thumbsup

88Nightmare
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
my buddy runs a small auto shop in racine. he collects all his drain oil from cars he works on and cars of his own and uses it in his oil burning heater. I dont know how expensive those are, but damn, you could work on a car in your boxers in that place :D

stowsea
10-12-2006, 11:18 AM
my buddy runs a small auto shop in racine. he collects all his drain oil from cars he works on and cars of his own and uses it in his oil burning heater. I dont know how expensive those are, but damn, you could work on a car in your boxers in that place :D
i used to work at a service staion with one of them and they push out a lot of hot ass air. i think they are pretty expensive but i bet they pay for themselves real quick

DirtyMax
10-12-2006, 12:18 PM

That brings up an interesting question. I have an oil burning furnace at home. Is there any reason why I can't dump my drain oil into the tank and dispose of it that way? Just curious... :confused

88Nightmare
10-12-2006, 03:07 PM
That brings up an interesting question. I have an oil burning furnace at home. Is there any reason why I can't dump my drain oil into the tank and dispose of it that way? Just curious... :confused

my friend uses exactly that. drain oil. he collects it all year then burns it all through the winter. his drain oil sometimes isnt "pure" oil. occasionally it even has coolant or tranny fluid mixed in :stare

Reverend Cooper
10-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Go To Home Depot Or Menards Buy A 35000 Btu Or Less Forced Air And A Thermostat And Install It Yourself . I Did A 35000 In My 2 Car And Its Awesome

TopStreetDsm
10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Your talking about the one that looks like a tube right?

DirtyMax
10-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Your talking about the one that looks like a tube right?

He actually might be talking about the bigger square ones you hang up on the corner. Only reason I think that is cuz he's mentioning a t-stat. Then you have to run a gas line out to the garage or get a propane tank set up outside or ???.

Reverend Cooper
10-12-2006, 09:53 PM
yeah but running the line is not that bad. and its no a health issue it vents outside i turn it on when it starts getting cold and it stays at 45 deg all winter. if i work out there i just turn it up

88Nightmare
10-12-2006, 10:13 PM
coop, if you dont mind, what did that all cost ya?

Corvette Jabo
10-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I have a 75,000 BTU furnace in my garage. But I use this type of heater to warm up the garage and then the furnace takes over:
http://www.masterdist.net/allproheaters/convection/propane/index.html

0TransAm0
10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a 75,000 BTU furnace in my garage. But I use this type of heater to warm up the garage and then the furnace takes over:
http://www.masterdist.net/allproheaters/convection/propane/index.html

thats the same type i use to heat my dads garage but an older one. works great and kicks off some major heat.

HITMAN
10-13-2006, 07:07 PM
What are you guys using for a Garage Heater?

http://www.bergmans.com/Instrumentation%20and%20Control/Falcon/Propulsion/Falcon%20Firing%20-%20large.jpg

:D

nitroxtreme
10-14-2006, 04:55 AM
I went to menards and got a colman 75000-200000BTU propane heater. It was just over 100.00.. Works awesome. on my second one ( the first one lasted 15 years) The only thing is that with a propane is the tank..The bigger the tank the better. The 100lbs are the way to go.. If you use a smaller tank you may start getting a propane smell..

EVIL AWD
10-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm kind of in the market for a new garage heater too. I've been using a Kerosene torpedo heater the last couple years and it gets the garage up to a workable temp, although I would like it a little warmer, but the fumes are killer. They give me a headache and make me feel sick. I'm very interested in the natural gas forced air heater that Sam posted a link to, but also seen this electric unit for half the price http://www.air-n-water.com/product/G73.html. I'm just wondering if it will be able to warm my garage enough. I have a 2.5 car garage, you could actually almost fit 3 cars in there if you packed them tight. I like the idea of half the price as I would rather put the extra money into my car instead of the heater and I wouldn't have to run a gas line or ventilation system. Neither of which are a problem for me, but just less I would have to do with this unit. Maybe someone has used a similar unit and can give me their 2 cents. Thanks guys!

Corvette Jabo
10-14-2006, 03:28 PM
The Kerosene heaters burn my eyes after a while and they smell. The heater I listed above needs no electicity and has no smell. I have seen them in 2 BTU ratings 100K BTU and 200K BTU depending on the size of your garage.
The nice thing about not needing electricity, they are an ace in the hole if your power goes out.

Jabo

BadAzzGTA89
10-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I use a wall mounted gas heater that they had mounted in the addition of my house and converted it to propane it has a bilt in blower kicks mad heat:thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
10-14-2006, 06:42 PM
coop, if you dont mind, what did that all cost ya?
i think roughly 500.00. piping,heater on off gas valve and thermostat included

EVIL AWD
10-14-2006, 07:06 PM

Mr. Heater MH125LP

I'm more in the market for something I can mount on my ceiling, but may consider something like this if there is no fumes like my current Kerosene heater. Approximately how much run time do you get out of a 100lb. tank? And how much does a 100lb. tank cost to fill? Oh yeah, and how big is your garage? I need something that will get my garage (2.5 car) HOT quickly even when it's 10 degrees outside.

u_say_go
10-14-2006, 07:19 PM
i just close the garage door and leave the car running with the heater on and windows down....works good but I get a little sleepy.

EVIL AWD
10-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Actually I have made up my mind that I want to go with a natural gas forced air unit mounted on the ceiling. But I have a question maybe some of you can give me your opinions on. Typically the exhaust is vented up through the roof. However, this unit comes with a power exhaust which allows horizontal venting. What I would like to do though and I don't see why it would cause a problem, but maybe some of you know better. I want to run the exhaust venting downward from the unit on the ceiling to the floor and then out the side of the house using an existing hole where a dryer was once vented years ago before I bought the house. The owner must have had their dryer in the garage. Does anyone think this will pose a problem?