PDA

View Full Version : need tech help...

hrsp
10-07-2006, 05:13 PM
both of these questions are for a 1996 taurus...

First is my airbag light came on in the car for no reason and has stayed on now for about a week? will it blow up in my face for no reason..lol
why would it be on and what vcan i do outside of taking ut to a dealer?

next and more importantly is a question about the transmision....ok when i'n in second gear and going relativly slow and hit the gas half throttle i get a huge thump from the tranny... but if i do the same but floor it goes fine...
if i floor it from a stop its fine...only when i'm going slow in second gear and then give it about half throttle does it do this...it feels like a tranny mount..

any ideas? thanks

Slow Joe
10-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Air Bag light on means the airbag won't go off in the event of an accident, at least that's my understanding...

hrsp
10-07-2006, 08:09 PM
thats good to know

Car Guy
10-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Joe's right about the airbag, something is defective so if you were to crash there's a good chance it wont go off. As far as the trans it could be a mount but there's a good chance it could be somthing else.....

Where are you located? I could take a look at it if you like......

Brandon W.
10-07-2006, 10:49 PM
next and more importantly is a question about the transmision....ok when i'n in second gear and going relativly slow and hit the gas half throttle i get a huge thump from the tranny... but if i do the same but floor it goes fine...
if i floor it from a stop its fine...only when i'm going slow in second gear and then give it about half throttle does it do this...it feels like a tranny mount..

any ideas? thanks

my moms car did the same thing...drove it for a few thousand miles like that..nothing ever went wrong....there is a ford taurus club also id go there.

alaskaman
10-07-2006, 10:56 PM
no doubt in my mind that either the lower motor mount or the upper mount or both are bad I just went thru this with a 96 taurus and had the same symptoms put new mounts in and that fixed it

Car Guy
10-07-2006, 11:03 PM
If it is the motor mount it should make the noise more when the motor/trans is tourqing harder....

alaskaman
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Get a buddy open the hood power brake it and watch the motor twist if not then I'm wrong could be tranny mounts too maybe :O)

Brandon W.
10-07-2006, 11:57 PM
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?act=portal