PDA

View Full Version : best 2 year degree?

hrsp
10-07-2006, 10:12 AM
what is the best 2 year degree in your opinion? i really need to get a new career choice ( garbageman is getting REAL old) so whats the good ones? and what are the ones where you can make the most money... thanks

and i know a "skilled trade" is an option but i am trying to avoid that if possible...

PureSound15
10-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Whats the reason for trying to avoid a skilled trade? If I weren't going to get a degree through a University, I personally would have gone for a skilled trade only because so many kids go to college now. So where as 10 years ago if you had any kind of piece of paper from any college, now graduates from Universities are starting to have an edge on 4 year students.

There are a lot of guys on this board that are union workers, and although I don't know A LOT about the whole union thing, it seems to be a pretty good deal. I would talk to Lash or one of the other Union Workers about the benefits.

Crawlin
10-07-2006, 10:19 AM
2 year nursing degree. good luck getting into one ASAP though.

what's so wrong with skilled trades though? Can become an electrician and make some decent money. Then as time goes on and you run up the ranks, eventually split off and form your own company that gets contracted by the bugger ones.

hrsp
10-07-2006, 10:54 AM
dont get me wrong..ALL my family memebers are union workers.... i was just seeing if there are any 2 year degrees that are worth the while...

getting a skilled trade is in the back pocket... just seeing whats out there

Al
10-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Drive an 18 wheeler.

Also try dental assisstant and welder.

Tool and Die Design, not machinist. These guys are the ones who draw up the cad files. The only good school in the area is Morraine Park in West Bend

PureSound15
10-07-2006, 11:05 AM
dont get me wrong..ALL my family memebers are union workers.... i was just seeing if there are any 2 year degrees that are worth the while...

getting a skilled trade is in the back pocket... just seeing whats out there

Gotchya. I'd agree with Crawlin with the 2 year nursing program, and I could be wrong but I don't think there is a ladder for you to climb within an organization once you get a job, unless you go through more schooling. Skilled Trade wouldn't have any limits.

hrsp
10-07-2006, 11:11 AM
well not all..only my step brother is a "union worker" he's a plumber..

but my 2 uncles are painters...my other uncle is a carpenter...friend is a mason... know a few roofers..there all non unions....

either was..whats the best paid union skilled trade? thanks

hrsp
10-07-2006, 11:13 AM
i heard that dental hygientist is a good well paying job? is that a 2 year program? are they paid good?

fireguyrick
10-07-2006, 11:36 AM
i heard that dental hygientist is a good well paying job? is that a 2 year program? are they paid good?

Generally harder to get into then nursing. Last I heard there were 5 year long waiting lists. The only place that offers an Associate Degree Nursing program that has NO waiting list (AFAIK) is Cardinal Stritch. There you have to take a placement test. Starting pay for RN's is around $20-$21/hr. Though there are some decent benefits, not to mention many hospitals have sign on bonuses. Though it is not all peaches and cream as a RN. One bonus though is that in school you will be out numbered like 30-1 by girls.:devil

Rick

hrsp
10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
not big on being a nurse...

30-1 :)

Crawlin
10-07-2006, 11:43 AM
By "up the ranks" and ladder, I just meant through the normal part of a business. My dad started in construction as the guy who makes the chalk lines, haha. Now he's part owner of a big construction company. Got to start somewhere.

I guess instead of looking at something that's gonna be quick and easy, look at what your enjoyment is. What are your hobbies? What are you likes/dislikes?

if you don't like dealing with assholes, then don't become a nurse, because sick people(understandably so) are some of the biggest whiners and bitchers.

know what I mean? i didn't go to college, but i think i do well for myself. I looked at what i was enjoying. cars and talking to people. so the car business was for me.

before that, i did graphic design/installs for a small sign company in waukesha. made good money there and the hours were nice and the people were even nicer.

whatever you do, STAY AWAY from the computer field. there are already TOO many people doing it, and too many people with 4 year degree's in computer science if not master's.

A B4C Z
10-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I did a 2 year in the GM-ASEP program. It was at WCTC. You need to buy your own tools and get a dealer to sponsor you. I enjoy doing it. Even if you didnt come thru in likeing it you learn alot to keep your own car in shap and not have to pay at a dealer to fix it.

Just putting my .02 in

98whitegpgt
10-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I went 2 years at wctc for real estate. I learned so much from real life teachers. I was also a good price too!

Slow Joe
10-07-2006, 01:58 PM
whatever you do, STAY AWAY from the computer field. there are already TOO many people doing it, and too many people with 4 year degree's in computer science if not master's.

Yup, I've looked into this a little... It sucks that that's the case... To get into a decent job you need like tons of experience, or to know someone that's already in the company...

Sexy83TA
10-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Nursing is a good profession, but its not something anyone can just get into becuase you want the money. Im in my final semester at WCTC, and Ive been there for 5.5 years now.

Dental assistant has just as long of a waiting list (At least at WCTC). Last I heard any of the medical degrees has at least a 2 year waiting list.

esthirteen
10-07-2006, 02:56 PM
nursing isnt all that bad. im working at a nursing home right now as a CNA (certified nursing assistant). The technical school here in kenosha has a LPN and a RN degree. RN's get paid more at my work cause they are the ones that deal with giving shots and feeding tubes and stuff. But as of right now me being a cna im making 13.17 an hour and i just started 3 weeks ago although i have worked at the place for a year and a half. LPN's start at like 21 and RN's at like 24. plus there is hot girls that work there and you always get hot family members that come in.

Sexy83TA
10-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Not meaning to get so off track from the original topic, but wow. I take it your somewhere around......17 years old? And you dont know really anything about nursing. Nurses dont get paied the money they do because they "give shots and work with feeding tubes." Any monkey can be taught how to do that shit.

PureSound15
10-07-2006, 04:21 PM
:popcorn

I got $5 on Heather

Sexy83TA
10-07-2006, 04:23 PM
:popcorn

I got $5 on Heather

Only $5??

PureSound15
10-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Well cmon now, I wouldn't bet on a horse if I've never seen it race:goof

Not compare you to a horse... you get it

fireguyrick
10-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Not meaning to get so off track from the original topic, but wow. I take it your somewhere around......17 years old? And you dont know really anything about nursing. Nurses dont get paied the money they do because they "give shots and work with feeding tubes." Any monkey can be taught how to do that shit.

At a Nursing home...yes that is really the majority of what RNs do. There is a HUGE dif. between Homes and Hospitals. I have been in both, my wife (working on her MSN) also has. Though, I will say this about nursing, my wife is taking the MCATs soon. She was ok with being an RN, however, she wants to do more. The APNP was where she thought she wanted to go, but when she looked at the time that REALLY takes, she decided to consider med school.

I would avoid going into Police or Fire Science also. The job competition afterwards is insane in this state.

Be a plumber.

Rick

Sexy83TA
10-07-2006, 05:54 PM
At a Nursing home...yes that is really the majority of what RNs do. There is a HUGE dif. between Homes and Hospitals. I have been in both, my wife (working on her MSN) also has. Though, I will say this about nursing, my wife is taking the MCATs soon. She was ok with being an RN, however, she wants to do more. The APNP was where she thought she wanted to go, but when she looked at the time that REALLY takes, she decided to consider med school.

I would avoid going into Police or Fire Science also. The job competition afterwards is insane in this state.

Be a plumber.

Rick

Not even going to respond to this one. What you visually see nurses do is not even close to the extent of what they do. Even in nursing homes. And besdies, in nursing homes the LPNs do most of the work. RN's take a management position.

GRAMPS SS
10-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Generally harder to get into then nursing. Last I heard there were 5 year long waiting lists. The only place that offers an Associate Degree Nursing program that has NO waiting list (AFAIK) is Cardinal Stritch. There you have to take a placement test. Starting pay for RN's is around $20-$21/hr. Though there are some decent benefits, not to mention many hospitals have sign on bonuses. Though it is not all peaches and cream as a RN. One bonus though is that in school you will be out numbered like 30-1 by girls.:devil

Rick

RNs start out at 14-15 hr.....my wife is a RNOCN and has been in nursing for 27 years....she had her fill of hospital work...now she works for Advance Health Care...granted hospitals are good paying too but you work your way up in pay ......her sister is going back to nursing school...hard as hell....after your done with school , you have to take your boards....you don't pass you don't work...

fireguyrick
10-07-2006, 06:52 PM
You know what, It is not worth arguing with a STUDENT with the wannabe RN goddess complex over this. I live with an RN, and have filled in for RN roles at FMLH as a paramedic.

Pro Show, my wife started at Froedtert with an ADN and RN license at $21.20/hr. RN's DO make that much, heck, if you doubt me call FMLH HR @ 414-805-7000 and ask for Carlotta Johnson. She is my old HR contact. She could tell you what pay is. Salary.com is not the best source, but it should show that RN's are in the $40k+ a year range. Heck, CNA's make 11ish an hour, and I make $16/hr with what I do @ Froedtert.

I am done.

Rick

Sexy83TA
10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
You know what, It is not worth arguing with a STUDENT with the wannabe RN goddess complex over this. I live with an RN, and have filled in for RN roles at FMLH as a paramedic.

Pro Show, my wife started at Froedtert with an ADN and RN license at $21.20/hr. RN's DO make that much, heck, if you doubt me call FMLH HR @ 414-805-7000 and ask for Carlotta Johnson. She is my old HR contact. She could tell you what pay is. Salary.com is not the best source, but it should show that RN's are in the $40k+ a year range. Heck, CNA's make 11ish an hour, and I make $16/hr with what I do @ Froedtert.

I am done.

Rick

Why do you give a shit what I say anways if im just a student and a wanna be RN goddess? Good for you, your married to an RN. You and a billion other people are too. Fantastic. That means you know more about nursing then I do? I work at Froedtert and Rogers Memorial. I have put in my years at school and Im just about to graduate. So think and say what you will. This thread was never about this.

But I will agree with you on the pay. I will be starting at Roger's in January making $22/hr.

Alright, Im done.

fireguyrick
10-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Sexy, you have PM. I think that you an I are seeing the same thing, just from different angles and experiences.

Rick

supra213
10-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Go for Surgical Tech. 2 year degree at matc. You'll make a little less than a nurse.
Once you get burned out from it like me.... you can always go back to school for another career in the medical field like nursing or x-ray tech and have the hospital you work for pay for at least some of it. Many of the hospitals have some type of tuition rembursement for their staff.

fireguyrick
10-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Go for Surgical Tech. 2 year degree at matc. You'll make a little less than a nurse.
Once you get burned out from it like me.... you can always go back to school for another career in the medical field like nursing or x-ray tech and have the hospital you work for pay for at least some of it. Many of the hospitals have some type of tuition rembursement for their staff.

True Froedtert gives my wife $5k per year towards school. It helps considering she is at Marquette and tuition is north of $12k a semester, and fin aid is not that helpful since we do not have kids.

Rick

Lash
10-08-2006, 01:42 AM
UNION sheet metal worker here.
$31.16/hr...+ benefits for journeymen. :) Next July it'll be close to $33/hr. Right now foremen can make $33-34/hr. It all depends on how good you are.
Starting pay for a first year apprentice is $11.xx/hr...second year is around $15/hr...3rd around $19/hr...4th around $24/hr...and 5th around $27/hr. Then you become a journeyman.
All of those do not include you benefits which are already paid for.
Did I mention you get paid to go to day school.....and it's only 1 day a week (for the first two years...then it's just 2 nigh classes a week)...plus 1 night class a week? Why wait 2 years before getting paid. Start getting paid now...while you go to school. :)

Most other union trades are pretty close in pay +/- a few $'s/hr....plumbers, pipe fitters, sprinkler fitters, electricians, HVAC service techs.

My wife is a dental hygienist. School was actually pretty tough at MATC (downtown). It's actually harder than you'd think.
Plus it's really tough to even get into. They accept those who live in whatever county the school is in first. So you are basically put on a looooong waiting list. Same for dental assistant...but I don't think the wait is quite as long.
My wife makes over $26/hr. though...and her hours are great. M-W from about 7-8am-6pm...then ever other thur. from about 8am to 5pm. It's also hard finding a job that can offer a 40hr. week. A lot of hygienist's have to jump between 2 or even 3 offices to get a full week of hours. All places are different.

Dental assistants max out at around $15/hr.

Edit: also...my Mom is an RN (25+ years) for 'Pro Health Care/Waukesha Memorial'. She makes around $17-18/hr.

esthirteen
10-08-2006, 01:44 AM
wow, didnt know this would turn into this by me posting that. rn's do make that much and its because of what they do. if you want, let me know and i will give you the number for my nursing home and you can call them and ask starting pay.

hrsp
10-08-2006, 10:25 AM
thanks lash and everyone for input.....

i'm still looking for the other pay scale of ALL the union trades....

GRAMPS SS
10-08-2006, 10:50 AM
hey what about heating and A/C at WCTC they make good cash flow

Lash
10-08-2006, 11:47 AM
hey what about heating and A/C at WCTC they make good cash flow

Not nearly as good as the union guys ;)

Lash
10-08-2006, 11:47 AM
thanks lash and everyone for input.....

i'm still looking for the other pay scale of ALL the union trades....

Which ones do you want to know? I can find out for you.

Also...I would just like to mention one thing. You can not base your happiness in a career based on your pay scale (which it seems like you are doing). If you are only interested in pay...you are not going to be happy and will eventually hate what you are doing. The first thing you need to do is find something that you WANT/LIKE to do. Money will ony keep you happy for a short time.

esthirteen
10-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree with Lash^. If your not doing what you want but making good money your going to hate it. Take a small pay cut and at least do what you want.

Al
10-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Go to one of the schools for Audi or BMW. They make bank, especially with experience. Also note that the dealerships have all of the necessary tools designed by the factory which makes them very easy to work on. They also take alot of time, but that is due to the number of parts, not that it is difficult to work on.

hrsp
10-08-2006, 05:06 PM
how about the pay scale for

painters
floor coverer
electrician

they all have points of interest to me...the money may be the deciding factor:)

Lash
10-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Floor coverer as in doing tile (ie tile bathrooms or vinyl flooring), or are you talking about doing epoxy type floors?

I'm pretty sure union painters get paid in the $25/hr. range.

I believe electricians are around $29/hr. I can find out for sure tomorrow or maybe nismodave can fill you in.

I can find out about the flooring too.

But out of those I'd say electrician is the best to get into. But out of all the trades...sprinkler fitting is where it's at. Those guys have a cake ass job.

Korndogg
10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
be a steamfitter....like me ;)

same pay scale as Lash basically. I think its actually a dollar or two more an hour though.

Lash
10-08-2006, 09:38 PM
be a steamfitter....like me ;)

same pay scale as Lash basically. I think its actually a dollar or two more an hour though.

Yeah...it around $1/hr more.....damn cry baby fiters. :goof

Korndogg
10-08-2006, 09:39 PM
hey im not complaining...good thing all the guys before me cried lol.

See...now when I see you on jobs...im really gonna have to give you shit.

73Dustr
10-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Which ones do you want to know? I can find out for you.

Also...I would just like to mention one thing. You can not base your happiness in a career based on your pay scale (which it seems like you are doing). If you are only interested in pay...you are not going to be happy and will eventually hate what you are doing. The first thing you need to do is find something that you WANT/LIKE to do. Money will ony keep you happy for a short time.

I have to agree with Lash. I kind of made that mistake choosing what to go for in college. I picked a major because I had a general interest in it and it would pay pretty good after graduation. After two years, I decided I absolutely hated it. Find something you enjoy doing and that you are pretty good at. Yeah, a huge salary is nice, but I certainly would not want a career that I would absolutely hate going to on a daily basis.

hrsp
10-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Floor coverer as in doing tile (ie tile bathrooms or vinyl flooring), or are you talking about doing epoxy type floors?

I'm pretty sure union painters get paid in the $25/hr. range.

I believe electricians are around $29/hr. I can find out for sure tomorrow or maybe nismodave can fill you in.

I can find out about the flooring too.

But out of those I'd say electrician is the best to get into. But out of all the trades...sprinkler fitting is where it's at. Those guys have a cake ass job.

union painters make that much!! that would prolly be my first choice seeing as i like doing it...

my step brother ( the plumber) says the same thing about the sprinkler guys..

what do they actually do? pay scale for them?

i meant floor coverer..vinyl ,carpet,tile...

thanks alot guys

Lash
10-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Sprinkler fitters install sprinkler systems. It's pretty easy...most job are measure up by somebody in the office. All they gotta do is go out an install it.
99% of the stuff is already pre-cut and threaded. All you need is a pipe wrench and a level..lol.
Pay is around $30/hr.

I'm not positive on that being the paiters pay....lol. So dont get your hopes up. :)

PureSound15
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Sprinkler fitters install sprinkler systems. It's pretty easy...most job are measure up by somebody in the office. All they gotta do is go out an install it.
99% of the stuff is already pre-cut and threaded. All you need is a pipe wrench and a level..lol.
Pay is around $30/hr.

I'm not positive on that being the paiters pay....lol. So dont get your hopes up. :)

It also seems to me that trade work is something that the economy/trends dont really effect that much? I could be wrong, but in thinking about it... insurance companies will still usually require sprinkler systems no matter what the economy is like and the weather wouldn't really effect that kind of job either, am I correct?

If I weren't in a university, I'd probably go into trade work. It's amazing how well one can do for himself without college, yet they try to scare the sh!t out of you in High School promising failure unless you go to college.

Slow Joe
10-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Woah, maybe I should go into some form of a trade...

Lash
10-09-2006, 04:56 PM
It also seems to me that trade work is something that the economy/trends dont really effect that much? I could be wrong, but in thinking about it... insurance companies will still usually require sprinkler systems no matter what the economy is like and the weather wouldn't really effect that kind of job either, am I correct?

Well...the economy does effect new construction. If people/companies don't have money to build.....

As for the weather...I work year round. If the temps are too extreme...well usually take the day off or have a short day.
Unless you are a roofer...you really wont miss much work due to weather.

I'd just like to reiterate one thing though. A lot of tradesmen get paid good for a reason. If you aren't good at what you do...it's gonna be a long career. Companies don't like to keep people around who are just o.k. When layoffs come around...they are the first to go. Just because it's a union job does NOT mean you can just slack and get paid...or do just enough to get by because the union will protect you. Skilled trades don't work like that. *cough*GM*cough*.
It's really is physical work...with a lot of stress involved.

hrsp
10-09-2006, 09:10 PM
where can i get info on a sprinkler fitter apprenticeship...or a painting apprenticship? is there a number to call or a website i'm not seeing when i do a search for it? thanks

Lash
10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
You can get more info and contact info on their site. The best thing to do is call them up and ask questions.

http://sprinklerfitters183.org/

http://www.iupatdc7.com/

hrsp
10-09-2006, 10:05 PM
woot..thanks i'll be calling them up tommorrow!!! as always thanks for all the help!!!!

hrsp
10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
well looks like i'm going for sprinkler fitter... next monday is open application day... Are the accuplacer tests the same for each trade? whats on there? i may need to do some refreshing since i've been out of school for 4 years..

Lash
10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Theres a bunch of crap on the test. Mostly math and logic/problem solving...like cause effect type stuff.
It's been a loooong time so I dont remember much. I was out of school for 3 years and did fine. I was put to work 1-2 weeks after the test. The better you do on the test....the faster you get a job.

Korndogg
10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
the test is pretty much just basic skills. Nothing really to worry about.

hrsp
10-10-2006, 06:52 PM
is there alot of math on there? thats a weak point for me:(

Lash
10-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Basic math...and some fractions.

hllywd
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Try Fire.
Youll make more in the trades, but the time off in Fire is great.
Plenty of time off to do things you like to do like cruise, race.
And dont forget about the adrenalin rush.

hrsp
10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Try Fire.
Youll make more in the trades, but the time off in Fire is great.
Plenty of time off to do things you like to do like cruise, race.
And dont forget about the adrenalin rush.

what?

fireguyrick
10-10-2006, 08:32 PM
He means fire science. At this point in time it is VERY difficult to get a fulltime job as a firefighter. If you look around many depertmants want an associates degree ALONG with being a state certified paramedic. So, Fire Science = 2 years, EMT-Basic (needed to get to paramedic level) = ~120hrs IIRC (1 semester), THEN EMT-Paramedic which is either a year long parttime course or Gateway has a Fulltime 8 hr a day 5 day a week 1 semester program. You also need to pass state and national testing. EMT-B and the Fire Science is easy, though the EMT-P is challenging (if the program is any good at least). Lots of dry memorization. When I did my paramedic training I had to memorize 40 some medications, dosages (adult and child), routes of administration, effects, contraindications, what it ACTUALLY does to the body, and what can and cannot be given with it. Then there were the advanced skills, interpretation of most heart Rhythms, and so on. My program started out with ~30 people...only 9 finished the class.

Rick

hrsp
10-10-2006, 08:46 PM
thanks for clarifiying

LIL EVO
10-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Two rules:

1.) Never take a job "just for the money" and hope you will be able to put up with it

2.) Never make a career out of your hobby

I used to be an electrician for 2 years and honestly can't imagine anyone actually ENJOYING the things I did. There was nothing fun about the job other than the paycheck.