PDA

View Full Version : Goin away for a while.

Scales
10-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Well just like the title says, I'll be gone for a while. On the 12th, my wife and I will be going to visit her family in Poland. Should be quite an awesome trip! We will be there for 3 weeks. Part of the trip we will be hiking up the mountains where we will stay for a couple days. She is also taking me to the first ever concentration camp, a few different castles, and some very old, very non-tourist towns. This will be my first time there and her first time back in over 2 years. For those that don't know, we got married last August, and she finally got her green card a couple months ago. So now she can travel back and forth with no problems. Well no more then you or I would have with airport security. I'll also be meeting her older brother for the first time who wants to take me to a "club" in Warsaw our first night there. This "club" has on average 50-60 girls daning on weekends. Sounds like Saturday the 14th will be rough! Needless to say, I'm a little nervous about meeting the in-laws for the first time. I'm also a little nervous about my lack of an abaility to drink vodka. At least the few Polish beers I have tried are very good. I'm looking forward to a completely different world even if for just a short while. I'm taking 4 memory cards with me and she still has her old computer at her parents so I will be able to dump the cards on CD's if needed. I'm thinking I'll easily be taking over 1000 pictues with everything I will be seeing and doing. Some of the towns we will be visiting are Warsaw, Lublin, Lubartow, Krakow, Zakopane, and all of the surrounding areas. Our flight there, we have a layover in Milan, Italy, and the return flight has one in Amsterdam. Unfortunatly, they are only a couple hours each so I doubt we'll even have time to get out of the airports. Oh, and I'm really not looking forward to the 10 hour flights, but oh well. It'll be more then worth it while we're there! The timing also couldn't have worked out better as we'll be there for her Mom's Birthday! All in all, it should be the vacation of my life! I'll try to get some pics of some tiny Polish cars for ya guys too. From what my wife says, I will be doing most of the driving there too, so that should be pretty interesting. Well I think this may be one of the longest post outta me, so that's enough for now. If I have time, I'll post up from Lubartow (her home town) and give you all an update.

Yooformula
10-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Dude! Have a great time, be safe! Try to get in trouble with them girls....you got a wife this time. Post some pics IF you can so we can see what kind of trouble you are getting into.

Scales
10-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanx Yoo! Yeah, I doubt I'll be able to bring my camera in the club, but I always have my phone. ;) But I will try to post up some of the better pics if I get time. I'll have to upload em to the site since I won't have access to my server from there.

wikked
10-06-2006, 10:13 PM
You know those Germans, if you don't join their party they'll come get ya!

:rolf - peter griffin

I'm sure you'll have a blast :)

GRAMPS SS
10-06-2006, 10:32 PM
have a great time like you said a vac of a life time
sounds like a lot of fun, stay safe

Knyghtmare
10-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Have a great trip, Mike. Those sites would be awesome to see.

CruxGNZ
10-06-2006, 11:57 PM
My aunt is from Poland. Her dad is a mayor over there (his name is pronounced bore-goosh, don't know how the hell you would spell it though). He's come over stateside twice and the guy is a BLAST to hang out with. From what I understand, you need to be able to handle your vodka. He made these awsome shots that he called schnaps. They were polish vodka, tabasco, and strawberry syrup. Sounds very wierd, but they are AWSOME!

Have fun man. I've been invited to go and stay with Bore-goosh and the fam. and hope that I can someday. Looking forward to your pictures!

Scales
10-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys. And yeah Matt, vodka is the drink of choice for sure. When the Polish kids first came here to work at Quad for the summer, me and a bunch of the guys went out drinking after work. Actually the night I met my wife. But these guys were buyin me some nasty drinks. Shot of vodka dropped in a pint of beer. I don't mind vodka with some nice lemonade or OJ, but shots are a whole different ballgame. A friend of mine just got back from Poland and he said for big family dinners, there's usually 2 bottles of vodka per person at the table. Yeah, I'm in trouble!! :alcoholic Oh yeah, her dad also makes some, ahem, not so legal booze!

As far as pics, I'm not sure what programs she all has for resizing, but I'll see what I can do about uploading them to the site.

By the way. Just to give you all an idea of prices over there... When my friend was there, he ran a bar tab for himself, his wife, and 4 of her friends. After about 6 hours of hard drinking, the bartender asked him to close his tab cuz it was getting kinda big. He got a little nervous... It was $52 American!!! :thumbsup

Slow Joe
10-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Have fun man! It sounds like it's going to be an adventure!

MurphysLaw88GT
10-07-2006, 04:40 PM
poland would be cool to visit

Scales
10-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it'll be a great trip. I just wish we had more time in our layover cities!

Scales
10-10-2006, 11:54 PM
39 hours til takeoff!!!! :banana1: :headbang