PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Mustang hatch with 598 BBF build pics.

DynoTom
10-06-2006, 06:22 PM
This is a guy I know from the 460 ford website I'm on....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081/14

It's a pretty good "step by step" build up on a big block Fox ...

P.S. Turn down your sound on the site unless you like Huey Lewis music...

95mustang302
10-06-2006, 10:19 PM
OMG, rediculous!!!! I LOVE IT!

Adamsy87
10-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Did you see his shop....:drool:

DoubleAron
10-06-2006, 11:57 PM
I really like this BBF fox, it has a great stance but not crazy about the color.
http://www.stangcrazy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584

DynoTom
10-07-2006, 12:13 AM
I really like this BBF fox, it has a great stance but not crazy about the color.
http://www.stangcrazy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584

I seen the engine pics but, I can't tell if it is the new or old version of the TFS A-460 intake?

I'm trying to find out what cowl size hood will clear the new TFS intake in a FOX Stang......

The old version of the TFS A-460 intake was nowhere near as tall as the new TFS A-460 intake that I use on my engine....

Maybe I will email the seller and ask him what intake the car uses????

Here is a pic of the old and new TFS A-460 intakes side by side.....

DoubleAron
10-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm trying to find out what cowl size hood will clear the new TFS intake in a FOX Stang......

What? No more Comet?

HRSEPLA
10-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I'll take that Comet!
Cough it up, I wish I would've gotten the one you sold Andy.... Seriously! Sam

DynoTom
10-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't know.....You FOX body guys have it soo easy as far as build ups go.....

All the parts you need to make your cars hook and swap in BBF engines are VERY easy find and buy.....I'm kind of getting tired of not knowing what my "old car" will need as far as parts and money to get the BBF running and driving since 99 % of the stuff to do those things will have to be cu$$$$$$$$tom made.....

I thought a FOX Capri, Mustang or 87-88 Thunderbird would make a home for the 521 engine with very easy to buy and figure out parts.....

The FOX car BBF swap parts are ALL available including the TFS A-460 swap headers from multiple places......The mounts and oil pans for the swap are very easy to buy too.....

I figure by putting the 521 / TH400 engine in a FOX car at least it will end all the "open ended" questions on the swap that the old car poses and nobody can really answer.....

I have been watching for FOX "rollers" as Boss says that would be my best bet.....I really like the Thunderbird FOX chassis cars and a 521 BBF engine will make me like them even more.....

I did some checking on a bigblockfox website and found out the FOX Stang stuff will all transfer onto the 87- 88 Tbird chassis......

I'm not ruling out a Stang or Capri yet.......But, I think I would like the Tbird better as it's more my style........

Sam, if the Comet don't sell as a "roller" I might keep it and do up a simple Winsor motor for it.....Nothing really big HP maybe 500 HP set up for a medium shot of nitrous.....I would be willing to trade off the Comet for a suitable FOX car if I could find one.....

I hate to change direction like this but, I have to factor in "getting the car done" sometime too and a FOX car and the parts it needs for EVERY part of the swap is a phone call away....:thumbsup

BOSS LX
10-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Sell the galaxie, and put a 408 in the comet.

DynoTom
10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Oh ya, Galaxie is leaving for ebay within 2 weeks....

I could do up a nice 408 for the Comet but, I really only want one car as a "toy".....

Maybe if I put the Comet "out there" as a trade for a FOX chassis car something will show up????

But, I can still buy the FOX chassis without trading / selling the Comet off....

It's more of a deal that I really only want "toy" car in the end....

The good thing is that SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many cool azz parts are out there for the FOX / BBF swap.

BOSS LX
10-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Sell the Galaxie and go from there.

DoubleAron
10-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I know i'll take a beating for this but I would rather have something like the Comet any day. The 79-93 mustangs are from the lamest time period for cars looks and style wise imo. I know I have one but like you said they are cheap and I do like them somewhat, I have added some different body parts and such to make it a little different. I also have been messing with them for 10 years now so it is a stick with what you know deal. I could surely see myself getting something older if the right deal came along but the $$ isn't there right now to do something old.
Alot of the swap stuff they sell for the BBF swap is for stock type BBFs, make sure when you see these headers and stuff they are for something with your kind of power. For the most part any people I've talked to or cars I seen on the net have been your typical chassis shop custom made $2000 headers. I just want you to be sure that the $$ amounts your seeing are correct, add it all up and be sure it would be worth it. I would hate to see you bail out on a really cool project and sell the car. As you know stuff like that is getting harder and harder to find, and they are not getting cheaper either.

DoubleAron
10-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I sure you have probably seen these sites but I thought I would throw them out there just in case.
http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/bigblockfox.html
www.460ford.com

I think a 540+ci BBF or BBC with a TH400, pump gas, 150hp plate kit would make an awesome street car.

DynoTom
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I know the Comet would be neater but, by the time I get the motor in the car with the custom headers, mounts, pulling the shock towers out for coil overs and adding rack and pinion it's just too much money to do it...And that is not even factoring in the rear suspension work...

I can keep the Comet if I want to but, it seems like my "big fun fast car" should be a FOX as buying all the parts to fit this A-460 head big block will be easy.....I even thought about buying a somewhat "built up" 302 or 351-W based FOX car to swap the motor into the Comet? If I stick a SBF in the Comet it will not cost much at all as all the mods that I would need to fit the 521 will not be needed....

DynoTom
10-07-2006, 09:35 PM
What a mean looking lil Coupe....

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/728580/1985-Mustang.html

DynoTom
10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I think this is the same car with the stickers on it....????

http://www.fordmuscle.com/classifieds/showad.php?id=4406

DoubleAron
10-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Same city so my guess would be yes. It's nice that alot of the chassis stuff seems taken care of.

DynoTom
10-08-2006, 10:38 AM
The only thing I seen about that chassis is that the ladder bars would put me into the "race car" class for KOTH races......I'm not building the car for KOTH but, it would be nice to have it running KOTH's stock suspension 10.5 tire class though....

DoubleAron
10-08-2006, 12:18 PM
The only thing I seen about that chassis is that the ladder bars would put me into the "race car" class for KOTH races......I'm not building the car for KOTH but, it would be nice to have it running KOTH's stock suspension 10.5 tire class though....

For one day a year I wouldn't worry about it. It could be broke or whatever on that day.

DynoTom
10-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree but, you know I will always hear about how it's really a "race car" and not a street car year round though....

There is a guy who lives next door to me who has a SUPER CLEAN 91 Mustang "hatch" 4 cylinder stick car......I have been "eyeing" it for weeks now......I wonder if he would sell it to me?????

It's white with a grey interior.....I thought I prefered "hatches" but, I now see a "coupe" can be set up badd azz too !!!

DynoTom
10-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I do not know if he would sell it but, it sure is fuggin clean......I think I will ask him.....

Here is a pic of the car....

DynoTom
10-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Ever since I figured out a FOX chassis would be best for my 521 / TH400 combo I have been "like a kid in a candy store" with all the cool azz parts they offer for these cars!

Tons of different hoods, many different interior mods kits,roll cage kits,suspension mod kits and the list goes on and on......

I know with a couple phone calls to places I could completly set up the FOX chassis to make it really cool.....

Plus, if the car gets "wrecked" somehow it will not be hard to find a different body......My Comet is another story as 66 Comet Capris were never common even when new....

DoubleAron
10-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree but, you know I will always hear about how it's really a "race car" and not a street car year round though.

There is only one person who says that and you can just tell him to shut up or you'll have a talk with his parents.;)

DynoTom
10-08-2006, 12:40 PM
There is only one person who says that and you can just tell him to shut up or you'll have a talk with his parents.;)

LOL!!!!:rolf :rolf

I really wonder what difference a "ladder bar" or "4 link" would make in my combo though??

Those stock suspensions are so good that would it be just as good for me to buy a stock FOX and do all the rear suspension tricks on the stock suspension design???

DoubleAron
10-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Just make sure you compare things dollar for dollar, the grass isn't always greener. That is alot of money you have listed there.
Take it from a guy who has switched combos 3 times within the last 2 years and none of them have been running yet. I always thought such and such combo would be cheaper or faster or whatever and it just never works out the way it looks on paper

DynoTom
10-08-2006, 12:46 PM
BOSS says "roller" is the way to go...

I do agree with Boss that a "roller" would end up being cheaper as those guys always end up selling them for way less than the parts would cost me.....I guess it will depend on what parts are in it and how the work was done....That is where you guys will have to help me out.....I will post links to the cars I find and we can figure things out better from there....

DoubleAron
10-08-2006, 08:23 PM
BOSS says "roller" is the way to go...

I do agree with Boss that a "roller" would end up being cheaper as those guys always end up selling them for way less than the parts would cost me.....I guess it will depend on what parts are in it and how the work was done....That is where you guys will have to help me out.....I will post links to the cars I find and we can figure things out better from there....

Yeap it is way cheaper to pick up somebody's bailed out project. People change there minds all the time for whatever reason and end up selling things for super cheap.:mad: (Raises hand)

BOSS LX
10-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeap it is way cheaper to pick up somebody's bailed out project. People change there minds all the time for whatever reason and end up selling things for super cheap.:mad: (Raises hand)

BTW, thanks!:rolf

DoubleAron
10-08-2006, 08:30 PM
LOL!!!!:rolf :rolf

I really wonder what difference a "ladder bar" or "4 link" would make in my combo though??

Those stock suspensions are so good that would it be just as good for me to buy a stock FOX and do all the rear suspension tricks on the stock suspension design???

It all depends on how fast you are planning on going. There are "stock type" suspension cars going very far into the 7s but that also takes alot of time,passes and somebody to help out who knows the in and outs of stock suspension to go that fast. As I recall I didn't think you were planning on going that fast though.
The resale alot of times isn't as good with the fox cars when you do a backhalf type set-up just because so much of the mustang racing scene is geared toward stock suspensions.

DoubleAron
10-08-2006, 08:30 PM
BTW, thanks!:rolf

:thumbsup

DynoTom
10-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Jeeeeezzzz, I had no idea how many FOX cars were out there!

I'm going to have a hard time picking one out for my build !

Some of the "rollers" I have seen for sale though have some parts on them I know will not work with the combo.

I still think a very clean "mild mod" to "stock" car might be best.....That way I can buy the parts I need for the build and not have to take some other guys mods off........

MIKESPACECAR
10-14-2006, 03:04 PM
This is a guy I know from the 460 ford website I'm on....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081/14

It's a pretty good "step by step" build up on a big block Fox ...

P.S. Turn down your sound on the site unless you like Huey Lewis music...
Thats a NICE car:thumbsup