PDA

View Full Version : Important press release from NHRA and GLD

Greg@GLD
10-06-2006, 03:08 PM
GREAT LAKES DRAGAWAY JOINS NHRA MEMBER TRACK FAMILY

GLENDORA, Calif. (Sunday, Oct. 8, 2006) – NHRA announced the addition today of Great Lakes Dragaway to its member track roster beginning with the 2007 racing season. Great Lakes Dragaway is among the busiest drag strips in the country with over 170 race days scheduled per year.

The track will participate in the NHRA Summit Racing Series and in the NHRA O’Reilly Auto Parts Jr. Drag Racing League while it continues to run current programs for high school, street legal and import racing competitors. Track operators also plan to carry on with a variety of specialty events.

The track is owned and operated by Randy Henning, Ray Drew and Marcel Kuper who have made a number of improvements to the facility over the past couple years including widening and paving the race track, installing concrete guard walls and adding Musco track lighting as well as remodeling their restroom and concession areas.

“We are pleased to welcome Great Lakes Dragaway to our NHRA member track network,” said Jay Hullinger, NHRA North Central Division Director. “We look forward to working with the track operators to enhance their existing racing programs and bringing their racers benefits that only NHRA can offer.”

"We are excited to be back with NHRA. Our goal is to continue to grow to be the biggest little track in America and with the support of NHRA we can do that," added Drew.

Great Lakes Dragaway is located near Union Grove, Wis., between Chicago and Milwaukee, four miles west of I-94 on Kenosha-Racine County Line Road (K-R), exit 337. For more information, visit the track’s web site, www.GreatLakesDragaway.com.

Headquartered in Glendora, Calif., the NHRA is the primary sanctioning body for the sport of drag racing in the United States. It presents 23 national events through its NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series. The NHRA has more than 80,000 members and 140 member tracks. The NHRA-sanctioned sportsman and bracket racing series’ provide competition opportunities for drivers of all levels. The NHRA develops the stars of tomorrow by offering the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, NHRA Summit Racing Series, NHRA Xplod Sport Compact Racing Series and the NHRA Street Legal Program presented by AAA. The NHRA also offers the NHRA O’Reilly Auto Parts Jr. Drag Racing League for youths ages 8 to 17.

TURTLE
10-06-2006, 03:24 PM
outstanding! congrats!

now what rule book do we have to follow as far as safety and classing? we're NHRA now?

Syclone0044
10-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Holy crap!! That came outta nowhere! :crazyeyes

I wonder what this means for the grassroots/hobby racers like us? Hopefully NHRA doesn't still have the 11.99 Rollbar rule :( I always liked IHRA for that reason.

Greg@GLD
10-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Well guys here's what it means- for the remainder of 2006 we follow the IHRA rules. But next year, yes indeed, we revert to the NHRA. FWIW, we were NHRA for decades.

Josh I share your sentiment, as I have worked there so long that I remember I used to get yelled at for running 11's with my Cobra. This is part of why I have my LX in Metz's shop for a cage...

nismodave
10-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Thats great news.

I had heard, not that it was worth anything, that the reason NHRA was wouldnt be at GLD was "short" length of track after the lights. Just a question.

And how will the rules change for next year?

Great job to all who have worked on GLD to make it a better place to race.

BOSS GT 06
10-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Thats great news.

I had heard, not that it was worth anything, that the reason NHRA was wouldnt be at GLD was "short" length of track after the lights. Just a question.

Great job to all who have worked on GLD to make it a better place to race.This is good news GLD NHRA NHRA :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :banana :banana

nitrous
10-06-2006, 05:34 PM

Snell 95 helmets are no longer legal. Minimum of Snell M2000.

GLENDORA, Calif. (Sunday, Oct. 8, 2006) – NHRA announced the addition today

So I take it this is going public on the 8th?

Stangman98
10-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Congrats to GLD on becoming an NHRA track again. I perfer the NHRA rules more then IHRA anyway.

TopStreetDsm
10-06-2006, 08:11 PM
I am guessing the tech is not going to be as forgiving now?... Better for the track and I am happy about that, but READ the rule book for us racers. I have the IHRA book but, not the NHRA. Do you know a link of where this can be ordered, or are they going to be selling them there?

Also, With the import events mentioned in the first post... Is this going to bring the NHRA events HERE???!!!

TURTLE
10-06-2006, 08:13 PM
that'd be awesome if we could get on one of the bigger tours... the local racers would really be able to stick it to some of the big name guys out there i'm sure!

TopStreetDsm
10-07-2006, 01:17 AM
I know the big name guys like Shepherd, Brent Rau, Magnus, Ect... Are a part of the NHRA nopi races. Many of these take place in the midwest. Anywhere from NY to IL, so maybe we could be on the map!

juicedimpss
10-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Holy crap!! That came outta nowhere! :crazyeyes

I wonder what this means for the grassroots/hobby racers like us? Hopefully NHRA doesn't still have the 11.99 Rollbar rule :( I always liked IHRA for that reason.
im glad my car doesn't run close to 11.99,that would suck to have more weight in my barge.

Crawlin
10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
No crap. same here.

TopStreetDsm
10-07-2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.harleymarine.com/images/Barge%20Jovalan.jpg

Ron's Imp

Myles
10-07-2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.harleymarine.com/images/Barge%20Jovalan.jpg

Ron's Imp

:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

+1 :thumbsup

Crawlin
10-07-2006, 10:11 AM
+jabillion, HAHAHAHHAHAA

juicedimpss
10-07-2006, 12:40 PM
damn,and i cant say shit.......an import guy who CAN pick on me.

ill be over here pouting.

TURTLE
10-07-2006, 12:42 PM
bwahahahaha!

ron's speechless... someone mark this on the calendar!

nismodave
10-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Dont forget me, captain.

Nice hat.

http://www.aadhoogesteger.nl/cruiseschepen/capnstubing.gif

Bobby72GTO
10-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Damn, this thread is just getting crazy with all the good posting! lol to the pics. Looks like Ron needs to get a hat now for his boat.

TopStreetDsm
10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
damn,and i cant say shit.......an import guy who CAN pick on me.

http://jhracing.net/images/speechless.jpg

:rolf :rolf :rolf

juicedimpss
10-07-2006, 11:18 PM
http://jhracing.net/images/speechless.jpg

about time someone came up with a funny
+1

Myles
10-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Omfg Roflmao!

TopStreetDsm
10-07-2006, 11:28 PM
This thread has been officially JACKED!

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/jacked.jpg

I am not trying to do that so I am done.

Anyways... Does this mean that the IHRA stuff just gets completely droped? How does that work exactly?

I am looking forward to it. The last time I was there, there was a picture showing some kind of a VIP center. Something like that... Is the new NHRA deal going to help for future improvements?