PDA

View Full Version : I must drive harder at the track...

Prince Valiant
10-04-2006, 02:30 PM
...because it's without fail that something(s) will break :mad:

Went down to the grove after practice tonight and was stoked to finally be on the starting line...

...BUT I was pretty disappointed with the end result of a whopping 16.1@70mph.

Turns out, 4th gear became unavailable. Not that there was carnage or anything, just that selecting 4th resulted in nothing. Turns out, I lost one of the bolts that hold the external shifter in place, and this caused the shifter to rotate clockwise on the pad. This means that when I pull the shifter into 4th, and it pushes the rod forward, it rotated forward enough to not allow the actual shift into fourth.

SO, I figure let's get a good 1/8th mile time (I still was getting second and third easily enough) and possibly extrapolate the 1/4 time from that, and cause I knew my old times were consistent 8.3's-8.5's. I sort of disregarded the 10.0 of the last one, considering my smokey 2.7 60ft time.

THIS time, the 60ft was better, but still off at 2.25 (still too difficult to control the wheelspin), and on the 1-2 shift, the clutch linkage lost a pin that helps connect the clutch pedal to the Z-bar...DAMMIT :mad:

At this point, I just figured set the shifter back so that I could carefully get 4th, set the push-bar back on the pedal, and make the long drive home...all the while contemplating what I'll need to just convert the damn thing to an automatic :goof

Car felt strong...on the first run, ran down a mid 14 second DSM and put a few cars on him even though he had a 2.0 60' to my 2.7...until my junk broke and he ran away again.

Despite the new tires, it was much harder to get a decent launch this time around....grabing 2nd hard resulted in a kickout, and 3rd even netted a good loud bark. My guess would have been a mid 13's if stuff had stayed together....I hate old shit.

Crawlin
10-04-2006, 02:32 PM
well, that's what shakedowns are for right? next time you'll be all ready to lay the serious smack down!!

how'd the car feel though? feels pretty decent?

Prince Valiant
10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
all things considered, pretty decent. Throttle only opens ~80% (it's a big carb though, so I'm still getting enough air probably), and the small cam still kills things at ~ 5200 rpm. Surprised how quickly and easily I ran down that DSM despite his HUGE jump on me (out tree'd and out 60'd) and he ran like 14.5 @ 96ish? I'd been happy with mid 13's. Next year, a good short-block and cam should change things considerably....but it'll also likely have an auto too :(

BAD LS1
10-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a good run for the Monte. Id bet that would be on that south side of 13.50 with slicks

JohnnyT
10-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Wanna take on a 4 door DSM??? :)

Crawlin
10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
hahaha,

best thing i did was go back to the auto.

but that's from an e.t. standpoint. the manual trans was still the more entertaining of the two

BAD LS1
10-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Im hoping to prove that manuals can work as good.... i dont really need that mountain dew going down the track. Now it just ends up in the back seat.

jbiscuit
10-04-2006, 03:10 PM

Uh oh. The family sedan is ready to break off a chunk of the big bad sleeper mopar?:thumbsup

Lets....GET IT ONNN!

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/mxc-15770.jpg

Prince Valiant
10-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Next weekend?

Prince Valiant
10-05-2006, 02:31 PM
looking at things now, I think I'm just going to change the front bearing retainer so that I can use the correct for the model bellhousing...this should take care of the clutch Z-bar alignment, and make life alot easier on the rest of the stuff. I'll also correct the shifter (I've got a newer hurst unit for it...) as well...and if I fix the throttle cable, and put the electric choke on the car, it might just be an easy fun car to drive...that's even somewhat reliable! Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

JohnnyT
10-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Next weekend?

Can't next weekend, maybe the week of October 23rd???

UnderPSI
10-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Next year, a good short-block and cam should change things considerably....but it'll also likely have an auto too :(

I have a LS6 that would look good in there. Toss a carb on it, Mmmm aluminum motor.

Prince Valiant
10-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Can't next weekend, maybe the week of October 23rd??? That should work for me...

I have a LS6 that would look good in there. Toss a carb on it, Mmmm aluminum motor.hmm. Competition for the "half-breed" maybe?:goof Certainly make the not-hooked-up-power-steering option on my car easier to live with...