PDA

View Full Version : Does it have Naaws??? Question of the day!

DynoTom
10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
When we were at the Downtown West Allis show this past Sunday I was subjected to a very interesting question....

I must have been asked at least 15- 20 times if Boss LX's Stang had "Naaaws" on it????

Some of the kids even got all fired up about Boss's chrome fire extinguisher mounted on his roll bar thinking that it was a "Naaws" bottle..:rolf

The age group of the kids asking about the "Naaws" was between 10 to 20 or so and I really had a hard time not telling them it's Nitrous not "Naaws" !!!

My 16 year old nephew was with me and he wondered where these kids were getting the stuff they thought they knew about cars from?

Movies like the "Fast and the Furious" had really made terms like "Naaws" a common term...

When I told the kids that that Boss's car was "Super-Charged" and did not have "Nitrous" 90% look totally confused and instantly less interested in his car....

If I were you guys I would buy some stock in a "Naaws" company as we have a whole generation of "Naaws" junkies on the way soon.....:rolleyes:

Boy, I'm really going have a "boring" engine combo for most of todays youth at car shows as I don't run any power adder.

Even if I get a more car educated kid asking about what my engine uses I have to answer "No" to "Naaws" , Nitrous, Spray, Blower and Turbo as I run "all motor"...:rolleyes:

Maybe I should buy one of these???:rolf :rolf

http://www.sasbazooka.com/product_feature.asp?id=157&pg=2

nismodave
10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Naws, or NOS, has replaced the term Nitrous with many people, old and young.

NOS was and still is the most popular/succesful Nitrous company, and their company name rolls off the tounge easier than NITROUS.

Its sorta like Kleenex. Its a brand name, but if you ask for one people know what you mean.

RanJer
10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
This is your brain http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/434000-434999/434013_2.jpg
This is your brain on "Naaws" http://www.kris.1000lecie.pl/integrapics2/The%20fast%20and%20the%20furious--Cars%20-%20Honda%20Prelude%20Aggressor%20Type2(1).jpg

Just say no.
Friends don't let friends use "Naaws"

nismodave
10-02-2006, 11:45 AM
This is your brain http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/434000-434999/434013_2.jpg
This is your brain on "Naaws" http://www.kris.1000lecie.pl/integrapics2/The%20fast%20and%20the%20furious--Cars%20-%20Honda%20Prelude%20Aggressor%20Type2(1).jpg

Just say no.
Friends don't let friends use "Naaws"

Both are crap IMO.;)

DynoTom
10-02-2006, 12:08 PM
I guy I work with ( 35 years old not into cars at all ) was asking me if my 521 engine was going to have "naaws booster jets" on it???

I had to tell him no but, then he said some kid down the street from him had good results with "Naaws booster jets" on his Kia ....I said "wow that is really neat, I might check into that......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He said the car goes something like 180 - 190 mph in the 1/4 mile with the "Naaws booster jets" on......I really did not know what to say after that....:alcoholic

Bart H
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I guy I work with ( 35 years old not into cars at all ) was asking me if my 521 engine was going to have "naaws booster jets" on it???

I had to tell him no but, then he said some kid down the street from him had good results with "Naaws booster jets" on his Kia ....I said "wow that is really neat, I might check into that......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He said the car goes something like 180 - 190 mph in the 1/4 mile with the "Naaws booster jets" on......I really did not know what to say after that....:alcoholic

He probably grew up in a family that had dueling K cars.

wikked
10-02-2006, 12:16 PM

Shoulda punched him in the kidney for even believing a Kia could go over 100, what a donkey. :chair:

DynoTom
10-02-2006, 12:18 PM
I hope he did not take my "loss of words" at that time as a sign that I was impressed by the mystical 190 MPH 1/4 mile Kia ?:alcoholic :alcoholic

DynoTom
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
I can see if the "Naaws boosted" 190 MPH Kia will race you guys at the track??.....How many people can the Kia kid tell that crap too before someone gets hurt laughing so hard......

I'm sure the 190 MPH 1/ 4 mile Kia guy is not a "bad kid" but, he probably just hangs around with other kids who don't know any better....

The guy telling me this made it sound like the Kia is really a "tame normal car" until he hits the "Naaws boosters"......He would say something like " yea I can't imagine going around picking on Mustangs and Corvettes with a Kia"....

PureSound15
10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I've tried and tried and tried again to rid my friends/family/girlfriend of the word NOS. But Dave is right, it's much like Kleenex and "coke" in some places. There's no hope.

juicedimpss
10-02-2006, 01:25 PM
i was going to vote,but there is no option for .
"hit the ricer kid in the head with a flowmaster"

Syclone0044
10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I am under the impression that "Naws" was never correct, I always say "N. O. S." if I am talking about the Holley-brand company. Seems like they would have the answer? Has anyone called them lately - how do they pronounce it?

I think a lot of people make the mistake of believing that NOS is the chemical formula, it's actually N2O but how often do you hear/read someone use that?

RanJer
10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
I am under the impression that "Naws" was never correct, I always say "N. O. S." if I am talking about the Holley-brand company. Seems like they would have the answer? Has anyone called them lately - how do they pronounce it?

I think a lot of people make the mistake of believing that NOS is the chemical formula, it's actually N2O but how often do you hear/read someone use that?

It's always cut down to "naws" or something similar, very rarely hear someone say N2O or Nitrous Oxide... Atleast it my experience. Someone needs to set all these people, not just "kids", straight. Movies certainly aren't helping.

Karps TA
10-02-2006, 03:00 PM
When I'm asked I say "I'd like to run naws, but my quarter race cam can't take it."

animal
10-02-2006, 03:16 PM
You forgot the "classify them a noob and add them to the ignore list" option. :goof

Holeshot
10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
^^^^^^^^It's Nitrous God damn it ;)

DSMDuDE
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
I hate it when people are over at my house and use that word.. For example: Saturday night roomie buys F&F3:TD were watching it and 3 of the 5 people at my house were using the term NAWZZZZ or NOSSS, Crazy how one movie can impair others impressions of a product, but also turns it into a money making "catch phrase"

I still give people dirty looks when they use those words and try to correct them

TransAm12sec
10-02-2006, 06:05 PM

When I hear N.O.S. I think of new old stock.

I've used the term N20 before.

Arigmaster
10-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Just say no to NOS.... Bottles are for babys.

I would take a properly built and crafted engine any day over the bolt it on and spray it till it pukes motor.

If I ever has a tank of that stuff in my car it would attached to a face mask and not the carb. LOL! Just kidding...

TransAm12sec
10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I've been told nitrous is frowned upon in the BMW community.

Berettaspeed
10-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't care either way, it just shows they are kinda new. not everyone can't know things about cars. im sure some of use use the noob terms in somthing or another..

we can't all be perfect.

DynoTom
10-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I don't care either way, it just shows they are kinda new. not everyone can't know things about cars. im sure some of use use the noob terms in somthing or another..

we can't all be perfect.

I did not mean that anyone who uses the word "Naaws" is dumb, I meant that it seems the young kids growing up today are getting so much tainted influence from the movies they see....Vin Diesel and the F & F movies are teaching them instead of having real world learning out on the tracks.....

Like I said the one kid was looking at Boss LX's blown 750 + HP motor and he thought "Naaws" was the only thing that mattered in the car world....

That chrome fire extinguisher ( THAT THEY THOUGHT WAS A NAAWS BOTTLE ) on Boss's roll bar had more pics taken of it than anyone took of the car.....

My concern came from a whole generation growing up only being taught by Hollywood movies......

Imagine how you would feel having your 14 year old nephew showing you pics from a car show he was at and what he thought was a "Naaws" bottle you knew was really a friggin fire extinguiser.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You can't tell me you would not tell that kid what the real deal was......:alcoholic

TransAm12sec
10-02-2006, 11:41 PM
What was it like 30 years ago?

DynoTom
10-02-2006, 11:46 PM
What was it like 30 years ago?

Much better 30 years ago as far as car movies go...

Hollywood always seems to make car movies kind of weird and never really addresses them at real hard core car guys.....

But, in the older days they did get it much closer it....

TransAm12sec
10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I remember two lane blacktop; there wasn't much talking, and they picked up a hippie.

What was the street scene like then? My Dad told me the big blocks would dominate.

A friend asked me if we close off streets like in the fast and the furious, so I guess it is giving a different image, but it's the movie business.

Syclone0044
10-03-2006, 12:40 AM
I caught an old episode of Leave It To Beaver on TV this weekend and it was funny because Wally was working on his parents car and his buddies came over and the exchange went something like this:

Wally: Guys how am I gonna get this car running again?
Friend 1: I say you should put a bigger carburetor, and headers.
Friend 2: I'd swap the pistons, and bump up the compression.
Friend 3: I'd put a race cam in, and solid lifters! Make it really scream!

I thought that was a pretty funny exchange for a family movie in black and white!!

theavenger333
10-03-2006, 01:06 AM
i do believe in that godforsaken movie, due to major sponsorship and such, N.O.S the company was the provider. i do believe they used it in such tense as opposed to saying "my nitrous oxide system" its just funny to say NAWWS. either way i usually chuckle, say "do you mean Nitrous?" and thats about it

nismodave
10-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Who cares what people call Nitrous.

Naws, NOS, Spray, The Bottle.

Bigger things to worry about.

BAD LS1
10-03-2006, 07:18 AM
them stupid movies ruined everything... From terminology to being 4 times as likley to get clipped by some D-Bag in a riced out something or other on hwy that thinks he's paul "mother *******" walker.

Yeah, that movie made people think nitrous is flammable too and makes cool blue flames! puke....

Berettaspeed
10-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I did not mean that anyone who uses the word "Naaws" is dumb, I meant that it seems the young kids growing up today are getting so much tainted influence from the movies they see....Vin Diesel and the F & F movies are teaching them instead of having real world learning out on the tracks.....

Like I said the one kid was looking at Boss LX's blown 750 + HP motor and he thought "Naaws" was the only thing that mattered in the car world....

That chrome fire extinguisher ( THAT THEY THOUGHT WAS A NAAWS BOTTLE ) on Boss's roll bar had more pics taken of it than anyone took of the car.....

My concern came from a whole generation growing up only being taught by Hollywood movies......

Imagine how you would feel having your 14 year old nephew showing you pics from a car show he was at and what he thought was a "Naaws" bottle you knew was really a friggin fire extinguiser.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You can't tell me you would not tell that kid what the real deal was......:alcoholic

yeah i know..yeah i agree movies and TV is what steers us in what is "cool" or the new "fad"... your TV set owns you. LOL overall they are uneducated in the car world LOL

i was there, and somewhat still there. i just know enought to get me by

Al
10-05-2006, 10:26 PM
When I hear some kids say naws, I usually end up talking about nitrous and not use the other term at all.

Sometimes, I try to sound a bit like Adam Sandler in "Water Boy" when he said "now that is some high-quality H2O." I just replace water with N2O.

Lately, I got a bit pissed by some Team Flush members at the gas station just off of I43 at Brown Deer Rd. They usually hang at the station after it closes because one of their buddies works there. The kid himself knows little about what actually happens in a car. He was telling me about his 92 Beretta 2.0L and how fast it was as well as some cars with nyas in them.

I didn't correct the kid, but I did speak correctly. I hope the proper terminology rubbed off on him.

HITMAN
10-05-2006, 10:34 PM
i was going to vote,but there is no option for .
"hit the ricer kid in the head with a flowmaster"

:rolf

I was just thinking something similar, only more along the line of a poke in the kidney with a pry bar.:thumbsup

CruxGNZ
10-05-2006, 11:14 PM
What I have found out that the new term for N20 is "DOPE". I've had a few buddies from around the country tell me this already. Cali, Texas, Florida... "Dude, he's got a big block on dope". I guess we're just not with the times.

TransAm12sec
10-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Lately, I got a bit pissed by some Team Flush members at the gas station just off of I43 at Brown Deer Rd.

Are you there often? I've talked to the Beretta guy before; he didn't seem to know much about cars. I haven't seen other rush members there though.

DynoTom
10-05-2006, 11:39 PM
What I have found out that the new term for N20 is "DOPE". I've had a few buddies from around the country tell me this already. Cali, Texas, Florida... "Dude, he's got a big block on dope". I guess we're just not with the times.

MODDED Diesel guys call METHANOL, NITROUS AND PROPANE "DRUGS" so there are some slang terms that I don't mind....IF the people using them know what those things are.....I just had some issues with little kids growing up not having a clue about anything except what Paul Walker and Vin Diesel talked about on the "big screen"......

Al
10-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Are you there often? I've talked to the Beretta guy before; he didn't seem to know much about cars. I haven't seen other rush members there though.

I filled up with gas and went in to pay. He was talking to someone else about his car and I some how gave my input. Because I am not the type to walk away from a misinformed person, I continued to give him small bits of advice and info about his car. I didn't put him down about being a ricer, but I am sure that 4 out of 5 of the people who read this thread would humiliate this kid so bad that he would cower and hide by sticking his head up his butt.

Berettaspeed
10-07-2006, 02:30 PM
OMG the 2.0s are beyond the worst berettas ever... what junk.. the V6s bring it up a notch...

and he must be really dumb cause the 2.0 ended in 89 LOL