PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have good home efficiency tips?

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I started to wrap my hot water pipes in the basement, got a dehumidifier to warm it up a bit and looking at windows but what other tips are there?

I specifically would like to ways to lower my heating bill this winter...Do I need to do anything to my a/c unit outside btw?

Lash
10-01-2006, 02:32 PM
You should put a cover over the condensing unit outside.

I've sen a lot of people start using duct sealant for their ducts. It seals any air leaks....like in the basement ductwork.

Get a programable t-stat.

nismodave
10-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Dont forget plastic on the windows.

Made a HUGE difference in my old place.

theavenger333
10-01-2006, 04:22 PM
only need plastic if you have older windows. anything from past like the 80s have good storms with good seals.... although it all depends on condition. the programable T-Stat is HUGE. and they're way down in price now too.

mr. meaner
10-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Ceiling fans help, too, by redirecting the warm air back to the floor, making you feel warmer. A dehumidifier will keep moisture from forming on your windows/window sills, but the humidity will make you feel more comfortable as the air will be less dry. Moist heated air feels warmer than dry heated air. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you want to control the moisture in the air in the house in the winter, but not so much to make it too dry.

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 04:32 PM
only need plastic if you have older windows. anything from past like the 80s have good storms with good seals.... although it all depends on condition. the programable T-Stat is HUGE. and they're way down in price now too.

didnt think about the p-stat. will look into it. the plastic on windows thing sucks! always a draft and the condensation peels it off then it takes the paint off of the trim with it when its done. Gotta be a better way. I am looking at windows right now so maybe the budget will allow for some new ones.

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Ceiling fans help, too, by redirecting the warm air back to the floor, making you feel warmer.

heard that. just that my ceilings are pretty low already, I dont have anything vaulted, maybe I could find a slim fan or sumthin.

Thanks so far guys.!!:thumbsup

mr. meaner
10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
the plastic on windows thing sucks! always a draft and the condensation peels it off then it takes the paint off of the trim with it when its done. Gotta be a better way. I am looking at windows right now so maybe the budget will allow for some new ones.

You can always get that plastic that goes on the outside of the windows. 3-M makes that stuff, too. I used that on an older house I had years ago and it did help. Now would be the time to put that stuff on, tho.

And they do make ceiling fans that mount pretty close to the ceilings. The fans will definitely help.

Heat Seeker WS6
10-01-2006, 04:40 PM
http://www.we-energies.com/residential/energyeff/101tips.htm

BadAzzGTA89
10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Don't forget to wrap the water heater and try to keep the temp in the house in the 60's i keep mine at 62:thumbsup
But my house is brick!

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 07:29 PM
I wish I could keep it at 60......my thermo is almost always set to 72!!!!!!!!!!!

BadAzzGTA89
10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Wear sweatshirts and get those energy saving lights in all the rooms great investment and they last hella long:thumbsup

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I already switched out all of my bulbs to those flourecents when I saw a killer sale at an ACE downtown. I think I paid like $4 for packs of 5!!!

Lash
10-01-2006, 07:49 PM
We have some of those too. They make your eyes go kinda weird.

turbogarrett
10-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I would leave the a/c unit uncovered, they rust prematurely when covered.

I had my windows replaced last year and they saved us ~$50/ month in gas during the winter of '05 compared to '04. A programable t-stat is the way to go, but I just keep it ~70, otherwise this guy gets pissed!

theavenger333
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
the rugrats don't like it much colder i assume, and yoosof's got 3..... plus debbie would whoop you

awsomeears
10-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I started to wrap my hot water pipes in the basement, got a dehumidifier to warm it up a bit and looking at windows but what other tips are there?

I specifically would like to ways to lower my heating bill this winter...Do I need to do anything to my a/c unit outside btw?

Only cover the Top of the A/C, this prevents snow and ice bending your aluminum blades. Never wrap it up like a present, that just makes it a nice and tight home for the mice, and it will sweat inside like a green house and **** up the electrical crap.

How updated is your water heater and furnace ?

What year and level is your home ?

Lash
10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
If youre gonna leave the condensing unit uncovered...it is a MUST that you clean it in spring time.

theavenger333
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
i've heard this arguement, we left our last A/C unit uncovered for 8 years, zero problems, had it serviced for a checkup, it was in perfect working order. the one we have at our new house it a slightly older unit, llast winter i put a sheet of plywood over the top so it didn't get snow inside, i definatly don't see any reason to wrap it tight, for reasons such as Awesomears, as well as the Rust factor.

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Only cover the Top of the A/C, this prevents snow and ice bending your aluminum blades. Never wrap it up like a present, that just makes it a nice and tight home for the mice, and it will sweat inside like a green house and **** up the electrical crap.

How updated is your water heater and furnace ?

What year and level is your home ?

hot water heater is like 10 years old and will most likely be changed once taxes roll around. furnace is only 3 years old but very poor in effiency rating(prev owners put cheapest poo in). I will not cover the a/c this winter. Last winter, the cover blew off so no worries there but I wont even take that chance this year(no cover!). Can I really stand to save $$ on a new furnace? Enough to make it worth changing?

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Anyone knowledgable in insulation at all? I wonder what my options are for the walls. I know there is nothing left there as you can feel the cold right through the walls.

turbogarrett
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Another option to save energy in the summer is to install an attic exhaust fan, if you don't have one already. Most older homes just have a couple vents.

BadAzzGTA89
10-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Anyone knowledgable in insulation at all? I wonder what my options are for the walls. I know there is nothing left there as you can feel the cold right through the walls.
I know there is companies that will pump it into the walls.

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Another option to save energy in the summer is to install an attic exhaust fan, if you don't have one already. Most older homes just have a couple vents.

funny you mention that but today the painter noticed that my vents were SHOOTING hot air out like a furnace blower.

awsomeears
10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Can I really stand to save $$ on a new furnace? Enough to make it worth changing?

You wont see it in 2 months time :goof , but down the road yes. If you have a cheapo its prolly 80% efficencey. 20% of the heat goes out of the chimney. If you have a crappier then 80% furnace then that much more heat is being wasted.

Luxaire,Bryant,Heil all have a nice 90% to 94% :stare so only 6% to 10% is being wasted.

Luxaire has a 94% http://www.luxaire.com/pdfs/036-11316-002.pdf

I wont pull your chain to much because I dont have super hard facts that I can sign my life away that in such and such time you will save $$$, but if you watch your gas bills and times that by 10 years = X.xx

New furnace = X.xx and this new furnace will save you X.xx each month on gas.

Dont think im trying to sell you one :rolf this is just info that I was schooled on at my job and at school. To me it makes sence, to others its rubbish :banana1:

What is more or equally important is how well your home holds heat, if it can't hold it then dont put a new furnace in to make up for the lost heat. You will be back to square one and thats having high gas bills + the cost of the new install :stare

Is your home brick ? or just wood ?

@ my old job there was this one crew that would insulate homes and fill that puppy up to the rim. That had to help allot. I talked with the guy and he said around $900 - $1200 to do a duplex home.

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 10:16 PM
wood home with original insulation from 1959. I dont want to rip out my sheetrock to replace the insualtion. They were just painted and redone.

awsomeears
10-01-2006, 10:19 PM
wood home with original insulation from 1959. I dont want to rip out my sheetrock to replace the insualtion. They were just painted and redone.

The process the insualtion guys do is taking a 2" hole hog to your wood under your siding or sheet rock or what have you. Then they puff in the R-whatever insulation :thumbsup

Are you asking about this now because you were getting pounded last years winter/summer bills ?

Or you just think its time to upgrade

Korndogg
10-01-2006, 10:22 PM
i agree with awesomeears. you might not notice a difference month to month but in the long run it will save you a good amount of money.

atleast thats what they jammed into my head back at school lol

Lash
10-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Sometimes getting an extremely high efficiency furnace isn't worth it though. They are only good up to a point.

Korndogg
10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
yeah they told us that too. I forgot where the line actually is but after a certain point its just a marketing thing. I thought it was after like 89% or something like that?

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Are you asking about this now because you were getting pounded last years winter/summer bills?Or you just think its time to upgrade

YES, both!!!

I couldnt keep my house warm last winter to save a damm.

awsomeears
10-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Sometimes getting an extremely high efficiency furnace isn't worth it though. They are only good up to a point.

This is true.

That is why after a install you need to do a temp rise and return. Just to make sure its purring like the factory wants it to.

Yoof id look into getting your home insulated, or have a company come out and use there infered gun to show YOU where dark spots are on the black and white screen. That means zero insulation, ohh yea if you point it at a person you can see the outlines of the bones :-0

Lash
10-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I forgot where the line actually is but after a certain point its just a marketing thing. I thought it was after like 89% or something like that?
Yeah...I dont remember either...but 89% sounds about right.

Lash
10-01-2006, 10:43 PM

Yoof id look into getting your home insulated, or have a company come out and use there infered gun to show YOU where dark spots are on the black and white screen. That means zero insulation, ohh yea if you point it at a person you can see the outlines of the bones :-0

Thats a good idea!

Korndogg
10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Thats a good idea!

x3

theavenger333
10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
yoosof whens the last time you had your furnace Serviced... just curious. that makes a big difference.

awsomeears
10-01-2006, 11:30 PM
yoosof whens the last time you had your furnace Serviced... just curious. that makes a big difference.

Yup can hurt :thumbsup

And im going to guess he has a janitrol or goodman.

If so yoosof get it looked at, those heat exchangers are prolly cracked if not cracking while I type :stare

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 11:30 PM
when it died our first month here. i change the filter monthly but other than that, nothing.

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
furnace is a weather king and installed in 03 with an efficiency rating of 80.0.

theavenger333
10-01-2006, 11:35 PM
cardboard box > yoosof's house

ur vents are prob clogged with secret stashes from the previous owners

Yooformula
10-01-2006, 11:37 PM
ur vents are prob clogged with secret stashes from the previous owners

cool! garage sale at my place!

awsomeears
10-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Do all of your rooms heat well ?

UnderPSI
10-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Yoo, Tint your windows! It is way cheaper than buying new ones. I did it this year and the difference was HUGE. It is a dual reflective film, keeps heat in during winter and heat out in the summer. Especially on my skylights. I shot the infrared temp. gun on my floor where the sun was shining and it was 126 degrees after tint only three hours later right around noon the temp was 89 in the direct sun. I only had my AC on probably two weeks total the whole summer. Once you get the house cool it stays that way for quite a while. I am interested to see how well it works this winter.

I can get you a sweet deal on tint from a reliable guy. Other wise my dad's friend owns a window company. :D

awsomeears
10-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Yoo, Tint your windows! It is way cheaper than buying new ones. I did it this year and the difference was HUGE. It is a dual reflective film, keeps heat in during winter and heat out in the summer. Especially on my skylights. I shot the infrared temp. gun on my floor where the sun was shining and it was 126 degrees after tint only three hours later right around noon the temp was 89 in the direct sun. I only had my AC on probably two weeks total the whole summer. Once you get the house cool it stays that way for quite a while. I am interested to see how well it works this winter.

I can get you a sweet deal on tint from a reliable guy. Other wise my dad's friend owns a window company. :D

Yep this stuff really really kicks BUTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbiscuit
10-02-2006, 07:33 AM
dude.....REPLACEMENT WINDOWS MAN! That will help a TON. Why do you think I am doing the rest of mine in my house right now? Menards has them on sale every other week. You don't need to buy Pellas or anything either. Just get NICE vinyl clads with Low-E glass. You'll be AMAZED at the difference man. I had 90% new replacements in my house when I bought it....one of the bedrooms didn't have new windows....guess which room was always drafty and cold? BOOM, in go the new windows. A new furnace is a new furnace. It will work fine. Sure it might not be super efficient but it will work better than a really old furnace. Sh1t I have an 18 year old furnace in my house and it keeps temps at a comfortable 67 all winter. :)

WilliamZ
10-02-2006, 08:47 AM
It's amazing how many outside leaks you can find with a temp gun. If you haven't tired it yet wait until it gets cold out and try it out.

jbiscuit
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
how much insulation do you have in your attic also? Do you have attic vents on both sides of the house? Mine are on each end. Attic vents will help maintain temps. You need to have at LEAST 14" of insulation in your attic also. I have almost 16 in mine.

tommyt5078
10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
when it died our first month here. i change the filter monthly but other than that, nothing.

Isn't that expensive?

I put new windows in last year and it made a huge difference:thumbsup

wikked
10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey Earsssssssss

http://wikked.com/images/mueller-climatrol.jpg

You ever seen one of these?
How efficient you think this is? :D

It's a "Mueller Climatrol" circa 1960's.
Runs pretty good, never had it serviced in the nearly 7yrs my mom has lived there. No idea if the previous owners ever did.

What's all involved in the servicing anyway? Something I could do myself?

Lash
10-02-2006, 09:58 AM
lol...thats an oldie.
Probably about 70% efficient.

You can service yourself...you just need to know what to look for.

And it's really important to change your filter often. All that dirt and sh!t will get in the and clog up your fan and A/C coil.
I cange mine about every 2 months.

wikked
10-02-2006, 12:11 PM
lol...thats an oldie.
Probably about 70% efficient.

You can service yourself...you just need to know what to look for.

And it's really important to change your filter often. All that dirt and sh!t will get in the and clog up your fan and A/C coil.
I cange mine about every 2 months.

well I change the filter, I just don't know what's beyond that?
It had a bad squeal last year that I fixed by putting a few droplets of oil into what literally looked like a car dipstick tube, crazy.

She plans on getting rid of the green monster soon though. It'll free up like 20% of the basement. :thumbsup

Yooformula
10-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Isn't that expensive?

I put new windows in last year and it made a huge difference:thumbsup

filters are cheap.