PDA

View Full Version : gas vs diesal engines........

hrsp
09-30-2006, 06:13 PM
pro/s and cons for both and what you would prefer and why?

MurphysLaw88GT
09-30-2006, 07:38 PM
for doing what..........if one of the uses include space travel, i suggest neither

hrsp
09-30-2006, 07:45 PM
for everday uses...
just wondering how you guys fell about em

Slow Joe
09-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Cars or Trucks??

Diesel Cars, you have limited choices...

Karps TA
09-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Gas it's $.50 cheaper then diesel.

theavenger333
09-30-2006, 11:01 PM
diesel responds massively to turbos... they love them and make torque naturally from the motor. you can pour out cool black smoke from diesels. you can spray them with propane which tends to be a tad cheaper than nitrous.

hrsp
10-01-2006, 09:07 AM
i was refering to trucks but car info would be helpful as well

Anakonda69
10-01-2006, 11:34 AM
diesel.....i used to have an 84 6.2 2500 suburban....it was just cooler then everyone elses truck....big blocks are ok in trucks but just suck way to much gas.....for towing diesel can't be beat

hrsp
10-01-2006, 12:25 PM
how about for a DD truck...that will haul only a few times a year

H8RADE
10-01-2006, 12:37 PM
New regulations for diesel motors have had engineers working overtime.
I feel the new generation of diesels will be amazing, and will bring them much closer to gasoline engines in a variety of platforms.
Also, you can get used vegetable oil from your local restaurant, make it into water-washed diesel in your garage, and have a truck that is cheap as hell to drive and smells like Freedom Fries.
I love the Titan, but my next truck will be a diesel, once the clean diesels get the bugs worked out.
:shades

Slow Joe
10-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Diesel trucks are nice, have tons of power and get decent gas mileage for what they are as well as last a really long time... Our old F250 Full Crew Short BoxTurbo Diesel got 16mpg AVG... Which was better than my '95 Grand Cherokee with the 318 V8 & Full Time 4WD which was Low 15s...

Karps TA
10-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Also, you can get used vegetable oil from your local restaurant, make it into water-washed diesel in your garage, and have a truck that is cheap as hell to drive and smells like Freedom Fries.

Even better do it in Winter, and get to call AAA to come tow your truck when the fat congels into a solid again. lol Most restaurants don't give away that used oil anymore.

H8RADE
10-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Even better do it in Winter, and get to call AAA to come tow your truck when the fat congels into a solid again. lol Most restaurants don't give away that used oil anymore.

Facts and figures please?
I call bullchit on this one, and know of 10 people who do this very thing.
Posting 'hearsay' as though it were 'fact' is dangerous and silly.
Properly done, with the correct Ph, you can run the stuff in Nome, AK.
I have done it, and its easy as hell, except for the lye...nasty stuff.
Enlightenment (http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html)

Karps TA
10-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Well I've dealt with diesel people who have tried running grades of biodiesel and called me up trying to get warranty on their pumps and injectors after they gummed them all up last winter. Maybe you've got a great recipe for home brew, but when people insinuate that you can just fill up at you local restaurants grease trap, I like to warn them that's its not just that simple.
Not to mention that running it most likely means you have no warranty should something go wrong. As far as I've seen every engine mfg says use at your own risk.

As for facts, Last year MN had huge issues with biodiesel, which they mandated for use. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_20060201/ai_n16036216

Personally, I wouldn't use a homebrew, nor would I even bother with biodiesel until the govt sets a standard, and the producers stick with it. Diesel parts are too expensive.

hrsp
10-01-2006, 03:40 PM
why do they last longer

theavenger333
10-01-2006, 04:20 PM
http://www.thewaystuffworks.com
http://www.google.com

what do you need a truck for if you are only going to haul once in a great while? a diesel is going to run you WAY more in cost. if you're not going to haul stuff or anything, just use it as a straight DD, i'd honestly get a regular gas truck with the smaller V8. i know Dodge and Chevy offer 3 V8s, the biggest one, the regular 5.7 and a smaller one. go for the small one.

H8RADE
10-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Well I've dealt with diesel people who have tried running grades of biodiesel and called me up trying to get warranty on their pumps and injectors after they gummed them all up last winter. Maybe you've got a great recipe for home brew, but when people insinuate that you can just fill up at you local restaurants grease trap, I like to warn them that's its not just that simple.
Not to mention that running it most likely means you have no warranty should something go wrong. As far as I've seen every engine mfg says use at your own risk.

As for facts, Last year MN had huge issues with biodiesel, which they mandated for use. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_20060201/ai_n16036216

Personally, I wouldn't use a homebrew, nor would I even bother with biodiesel until the govt sets a standard, and the producers stick with it. Diesel parts are too expensive.

Nice info...
Always good to learn more...
+1