PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians on here?

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Have some questions and looking for some assistance wiring a meter box and breaker panel for a detached garage.

Thanks
Dave

juicedimpss
09-27-2006, 09:53 AM
what are you trying to figure out? im not an electrician,but my garage passed inspection in OC when we wired it. ;)

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 09:57 AM
im not an electrician,but my garage passed inspection in OC when we wired it. ;)

I am trying to do the same. I have an application to WE energies to run a second service from my pedestal to the garage once the meter pad and breaker box are installed. Breaker box is no problem, just never wired a meter pad or grounding rods before, so just want to pass code without paying a fortune for an electrician. The grounding rods are easy as well, but I need to know if it is still 2 rods for code and how far apart. With the meter pad I have heard a few different stories on fittings and wire guages, so I just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks

nismodave
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
2 rods 6ft apart.

juicedimpss
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
you are best off calling the city inspector(for wherever you live) and ask what HE wants to see.
tell him you want it to be right the first time.they are usually real easy to work with if you play the game with their rules..

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
2 rods 6ft apart.

Thanks!

Karps TA
09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
they are usually real easy to work with if you play the game with their rules..

LOL. Not the jackass in Muskego. That asshole can get hit by a bus. I ended up cancelling a whole basement project cause he was such an ass to deal with.

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
LOL. Not the jackass in Muskego. That asshole can get hit by a bus. I ended up cancelling a whole basement project cause he was such an ass to deal with.

This is exactly what I don't want to have happen.

UnderPSI
09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I have wired a bunch of meter troughs. Do you need help?

jbiscuit
09-27-2006, 10:39 AM

see that was your first mistake....calling him to check on your basement project :rolf

juicedimpss
09-27-2006, 10:41 AM
i know that guy is an ass,a friend of mine had some issues with him as well,but i would think some of that was brought upon himself.
im thinking if you talk to him BEFORE you start the project,you are better off.

Karps TA
09-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Well I didn't have a choice. I was having an eggress window in and needed to pull the permits.

Now I'm just trying to save money to move out of Muskego instead. lol

Karps TA
09-27-2006, 10:44 AM
i know that guy is an ass,a friend of mine had some issues with him as well,but i would think some of that was brought upon himself.
im thinking if you talk to him BEFORE you start the project,you are better off.

My problem was stuff that was done by my grandfather years before I bought the house from my grandparents. For some reason that became my fault. He wanted me to rip out drywall and crap. Despite me paying an electrician to come out inspect everything and be willing to sign his name to pull the permits.

I nearly jumped over the counter at city hall to take a swing at the guy. :rolf He was just such a ****.

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I have wired a bunch of meter troughs. Do you need help?

Yes please!

UnderPSI
09-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Sent PM to you

DurtyKurty
09-27-2006, 11:45 AM
You guys got your stuff inspected?

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 12:55 PM
You guys got your stuff inspected?

I don't have much choice, I think the town would be a little curious as to why an 800sqft garage just appeared over the summer. Out by my house the DNR does flyover's to check up on people building ponds and what not in their yards. Then they report to the town inspector.

Reverend Cooper
09-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Just Have Dave Do It He Is A Great Electrician. Thats What He Does

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Dave who?

juicedimpss
09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Dave who?
nismodave

turbogarrett
09-27-2006, 05:08 PM
so just want to pass code without paying a fortune for an electrician.

Thanks

You and everybody else. Call Dave, he likes to work for free:D Seriously though, way too busy working on my house right now, but if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you out. #4 wire for the ground rods.

On the permit thing-my advice to anyone near milwaukee who is remodeling, building additions etc. is to pull a permit ecspecially if you plan on ever selling. Sometimes you can get away without one, but if they catch you expect double permit fees and the already pissed inspector to go through your work with a fine toothed comb.

twirkin50
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
You and everybody else. Call Dave, he likes to work for free:D Seriously though, way too busy working on my house right now, but if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you out. #4 wire for the ground rods.

On the permit thing-my advice to anyone near milwaukee who is remodeling, building additions etc. is to pull a permit ecspecially if you plan on ever selling. Sometimes you can get away without one, but if they catch you expect double permit fees and the already pissed inspector to go through your work with a fine toothed comb.

Thanks a lot! I already pm'd Dave and will shoot you a pm as well to get your number. I don't mind doing the work at all, just want to make sure its done right.

nismodave
09-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Sorry, Im UNION, and cant do side work.

I can offer advice and if u have Code questions answer those.

twirkin50
09-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry, Im UNION, and cant do side work.

I can offer advice and if u have Code questions answer those.

Sent you a pm with some questions.

Thanks

PHDcamaro
09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
if you need help PM me.... i can hook you up with my pops... he was an electrician for a LONG time

twirkin50
10-03-2006, 06:47 AM
If I post a picture up of the meter panel, could someone arrow to which contacts to use when hooking up to the breaker panel and which terminals the electric company will hook up to?

Thanks
Dave

UnderPSI
10-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Sure, It isn't too bad. Just remember to loop the wire and leave a good circle in it for frost movement.