PDA

View Full Version : Ever have an MRI? Holy crap was that weird!

Yooformula
09-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I just had an upper body MRI which means that most of my body was in the damm machine. I never realized how fuggin tight that thing was!! Both of my arms were practically pinned in there and rubbed going in and out...:stare Very weird, I had to get taken out twice because I felt suffocated. Glad its over:wow

nismodave
09-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Why the MRI?

Yooformula
09-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Why the MRI?

type 1 or 2 seperation and a torn rotator cuff in my rt shoulder.

Poncho
09-26-2006, 09:31 PM
i had one last year, it sucked. worst part is trying to stay still forever. i think half my body went numb from trying to stay still.

H8RADE
09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
It's the noise that kills me...
BangBangBang...

Nix
09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Ive had plenty. They all sucked, like said in a previous post staying still is the hardest part.

Korndogg
09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
i was suppose to get one because of my migranes and headaches but I didnt have insurance at the time so I didnt get it.

nismodave
09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
type 1 or 2 seperation and a torn rotator cuff in my rt shoulder.

Glad to hear it was for nothing life threatning.

Yooformula
09-26-2006, 11:04 PM
It's the noise that kills me...
BangBangBang...

They gave me a headset to listen to satellite rock music and a towel to cover my eyes but I still had to to do a mental countdown to keep from freaking out inside. The noise was loud but it was distracting enough to keep me from crying like a *****:rolf funny thing is the tech told me that earlier that night, someone actually climbed out of it during a panic attack. I would have gotten stuck:wooo :eek: :(

moels
09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
I had a bad herniated disc in Dec. 2000 and couldn't get off the table myself after the MRI. I ended up getting the Cortozone shots, 3 of them and I was able to fight in Feb. 2001. The noise sucked for me as well.

Yamahachick02
09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
I fell asleep in one. haha

UnderPSI
09-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I have had 6 in the last two years for my knee. Some of which were open sided which is good to ask for. No huge tube, they just cover what they need to scan. It is not the most fun thing to do sitting still for a half hour. Then you get the ailen gun sounds then the banging........it sucks.

Nix
09-26-2006, 11:23 PM
I had a bad herniated disc in Dec. 2000 and couldn't get off the table myself after the MRI. I ended up getting the Cortozone shots, 3 .

I wish cortozone shots would have solved my back issues, I wish I was as lucky as you.:(

UnderPSI
09-26-2006, 11:26 PM
I have had one more shot than I have had MRI's. They only lasted a week or so on me. I hate getting those.

Nix
09-26-2006, 11:28 PM
I had a ton of tests done on my back, Id have to say the worst was the dredded "disc 'o' gram". Sorry not trying to hijack your thread yoo.:banana1:

UnderPSI
09-26-2006, 11:36 PM
They gave me a headset to listen to satellite rock music

The first time I wondered why the music was so loud in the headphones and I almost asked them to turn it down. Thank god I didn't I could hardly hear it once the flippin machine turned on. Did they strap you down or anything?? they were really particular about not moving. I had all kinds of crap packed around my leg.

Flicktitty
09-27-2006, 12:07 AM
I had to have one when i broke my nose i was only 10 so i was scared but all is ok.

Yooformula
09-27-2006, 01:57 AM
I had my leg strapped down for my knee mri but I dont think they could have strapped my body down for the shoulder since I had to squish my arms into my chest to get in the damm machine. They did have to do an extra set because I twitched. I swear, I thought I was going to hyperventilate in there, I was so lightheaded when I got out.

Silver350
09-27-2006, 06:55 AM
When I had mine for my shoulder also when I was going into it I felt like I was going to get stuck. Made it through the first on fine then the second one sucked they pulled me out and put me back in with my arm over my head. It hurt to lift my arm higher then the 90 degree mark from my body and they made me sit in there with the damn thing over my head.

Of course we all know I had Surgery on it but I had an internal inpingment which is different from the rotator cuff thing.

Waver
09-27-2006, 07:05 AM
I had one to figure out what was wrong with my head.........still havent found that one out, however I ended up falling asleep in there....only thing I could do, it sucked

PonyKiller87
09-27-2006, 07:27 AM
I had one done for my back a few years ago, but it was in LaCrosse where they only had one of the semi trailer mounted setups, that thing was small as hell. And the noise reminded me of an M60 machine gun firing blanks. They let me wear ear plugs but I think that made it worse. I dont know how I kept from freaking out. If I ever have to do it again I will make sure its the open kind.

Karps TA
09-27-2006, 07:35 AM
MRI has made me very claustaphobic (sp?) And that was even doing a "open" MRI. Which isn't very open. I'm a big guy, but not that big, and the top of the MRI was nearly in my face. Not sure how they would MRI football players like Gilbert Brown or something.

Bart H
09-27-2006, 08:25 AM
I had one for my back and darn near fell asleep in the thing. Other than that it was fine.

GRM-REPR
09-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Had 2 of them. The first one I had took 45 minutes (for spine). They messed it up! I had to do "part 2" again. Needless to say, I had to go back in it for about 20 minutes.

The 2nd one I had, I learned to fall asleep..........

PB86MCSS
09-27-2006, 08:10 PM
I thought it was kinda neat when I had my first one this summer for a seperated shoulder, actually relaxing listening to some music and the loud *bang* was rythmic enough that I got used to it. Fell asleep after awhile.

Prince Valiant
09-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Had one and a CT scan done on my kidney's w/ contrast...the damn shit they make you drink caused me to vommit all over.

Open MRI's are great for the patient when needed (obesity, claustraphobia, etc) but they generate a pretty poor image, making reading the result somewhat difficult.

They've now got mini mri's that can be wheeled from room to room, so are done in some orthopod's offices locally...thing is, they don't get very many cross sections, and therefore offer far less accuracy.

They've developed mri's that will now do scans in less than 5 minutes...it's not available commercially yet, but it's coming that mri's will be as quick, and easy as x-ray's...and maybe someday, as cheap.