PDA

View Full Version : Who's been hit up with this scam:

animal
09-26-2006, 02:57 PM
It goes usually something like this:

They approach you while you're on your way in to a grocery store or establishment, or maybe while you're getting gas. They walk up and politely explain something very similar to this... "Hi, I'm sorry to bother you, (insert bogus storyline to somehow relate to you here... like this example) do you shop at kohls or home depot?" I say no. She says, "well I am selling some home depot and kohls gift cards in order to get some gas money to get back to Lake geneva, can you buy them from me? I really need to get back there, and I'm stranded here cause my now ex-boyfriend left me here without any money"

It's always something similar, they're always asking for "gas money" or for "bus fare". I get approached by these assholes nearly every other month. Lately every one of them is going to lake geneva for some reason. In the past I've heard eau claire, and rhinelander. Other times it's that they just want bus fare to get downtown to the greyhound station.

It's not so much whether you have or haven't gotten hit up with this one, cause I'm convinced that you will eventually no matter who you are. Where did you get hit up with this? Where did they claim were they going, and what did they want the money for? Just curious how much the scam varies.

I usually just tell them I only carry a credit card. The last time I downright denied a guy he got all pissed and flipped me off. I was kindof afraid he was going to throw his soda can at my car as well, which is why I now lie about the credit card thing.

Is this actually illegal at all? It's not like they're robbing anyone if someone willingly gives them the cash. It actually makes me feel sorry for someone who really is stranded, because now they're not believable at all either.

Slow Joe
09-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I tell those people to go **** themselves... This one guy approached my girlfriend and I while we were on our way to Wautoma, since they saw a brand new, clean, shiny car... Thinking we had money... Well, needless to say we got the **** outta there, those people were weird lookin... And they weren't friendly...

Feature Pony
09-26-2006, 03:00 PM
They probably steal those cards now hanging up in pretty much all food stores so they probably have no value, you go to use them and they say sorry but this has a zero dollar ballance.. I would stay far away from these people..

animal
09-26-2006, 03:01 PM
the last 3 times I got hit up:

Phillips 66 Gas station: layton and h w y 1 0 0
White guy in a white convertible 5.0 mustang, kinda ratty and run down
wanted gas money to get back to lake geneva
asked me and one other guy when there were 4 people in the vicinity

Citgo gas station: 92nd and Howard
White girl, no car I could associate her with
wanted bus fare downtown AND money for the greyhound
asked only me and walked away

Dennys, Howell by the airport
White girl, shitty beater honda or toyota
wanted to sell gift cards for gas money for a trip to lake geneva
asked me, then went back to her car and drove away after like 5 minutes

animal
09-26-2006, 03:02 PM
They probably steal those cards now hanging up in pretty much all food stores so they probably have no value, you go to use them and they say sorry but this has a zero dollar ballance.. I would stay far away from these people..

That's the thing, you can't. They approach YOU.

nismodave
09-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I just act crazy, or act deaf, throwing sign language at them.

juicedimpss
09-26-2006, 03:08 PM
i wonder if there is a big drug house in L G.
its funny to accuse them of being at the same place the day before,asking them why they didnt just stay there last night.
lol
another good one is to ask them for $1 for a soda,before they get a chance to ask you anything.

animal
09-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I should add this one now that you mentioned it...

A guy approached everyone in the bowling alley selling "deaf communication manuals" He just hands them to you without saying a word. When you read it, it says "pay for this deaf communcation manual for however much you think it's worth" All it is is a double sided xeroxed piece of paper that's wallet sized. The guy never says a damn thing to you, or barely even makes eye contact, he just shoves the paper in your face and acts all stale when you don't want to pay him for it. It might be different if he was walking around with a sign or identification that he worked for some non profit deaf organization, but there he was in a raiders t-shirt of all things. Was this a scam? I doubt there's any way to even verify the guy since he would act like he doesn't understand you.

DirtyMax
09-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Call the # on the back of the card and see if there is any balance left (slim chance cuz it's likely hot). If it was legit I'd offer pennies on the dollar.

jbiscuit
09-26-2006, 03:24 PM
next time they try and run the scam on you, tell them that its funny cuz you are going to the same location and you'd be happy to give them a ride. See how they react to that

DirtyMax
09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
My job has me going to a lot of MPS facilities in some pretty questionable neighborhoods. When the kids ask me for a dollar, my response is "Funny, I was just about to ask you the same thing" It typically stuns them. :rolf

d0nut
09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Here's what I say:

"Sorry, I'm married and my wife does not allow me out of the house with cash because I tend to come home with hookers and rock cocaine"

johnny--2k
09-26-2006, 05:34 PM
george webbs on greenfield and sunnyslope. Trying to get to mequon.

pickardracing
09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd swing.

WilliamZ
09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
When we used to go to Oscars they tried to hit us up for money to get to Lake Geneva as well.

animal
09-27-2006, 09:23 AM
When we used to go to Oscars they tried to hit us up for money to get to Lake Geneva as well.

Finally people writing a location. I was really interested in finding out where they all claim they're going.

77thor
09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
That's a new one on me

HRSEPLA
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I get hit up for this crap all the time, lwts go to Lake Geneva and ask to get back to milwaukee...

DynoTom
09-27-2006, 11:47 AM
I have had this scam happen 3 - 4 times around West Allis.

The last time was right across street from Johnny V's at 1:00 in the morning.....

I was walking my dog ( 135 lb Great Dane ) and this dude crosses the street to meet up with us......My dog was trying to get at this guy big time and I told him to stay back as she is quite hard to handle once she gets worked up, he stayed back a little and asked if I had any money I could spare as he was in town for a party and ran out of gas.......I told him no.......

He looked like a "crack head" ......

Millertime5.0
09-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Menards on Brown Deer Rd and 76th St. Someone stole his wallet and just needed money to get to Lake Geneva. He was driving an older Jeep Cherokee. He was a little shocked when I pointed out his wallet was on the passenger seat.:wow

FANAT1C
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Menards on Brown Deer Rd and 76th St. Someone stole his wallet and just needed money to get to Lake Geneva. He was driving an older Jeep Cherokee. He was a little shocked when I pointed out his wallet was on the passenger seat.:wow

:rolf Good catch! :thumbsup

Nix
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Thats a scam Ive never been approached with. The one that has happened to me on 3 occasions that I can think of and probably more is where these 2 fellas pull up next to you in a van and say "hey man are you looking for any home speakes for your stereo? Ive got a few extra that I couldnt deliever or they were extras added into my van today and Im looking to sell them off cheap. My boss doesnt know about it and I want to get rid of them and make a little bit of money on the side." Or something very similar to this. If you tell them you dont have cash on you they ask if you have an ATM card or if you bank is nearby and they always say that they can follow you there or wait for you. The one time it happened in East Troy I told them I was going to run to the bank really quick and I would be right back. I never returned, maybe they are still waiting for me?

Ive had it happen to me when I use to work at pick n save on sunset in Waukesha, also in the past year at a car wash in East Troy right by carquest and also on Hwy18 by all the car dealerships. They are always in a white ford van, I just dont remember if its the same 2 fellas each time cuase I never really payed attention cuase I knew it was bullshit.:thumbsup

84hurst
09-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Reminds me of what happend to me a couple of weeks ago. I was downtown for Jury Duty waiting for the park and ride bus when some homeless black dude that looked all f*cked up came up to me and asked me if I had two quarters I could spare. I reached into my pocket, took nothing out, and told him "sorry, I'm broke, I spent all my money on your welfare check last month." :rolf He told me I was mean so I told him to find somebody else to support his f*cking habbit!

Yooformula
09-27-2006, 01:11 PM
"sorry, I'm broke, I spent all my money on your welfare check last month."

thats awesome!!!

88Nightmare
09-27-2006, 01:52 PM
ive never been approached by either of these scams. that sucks, i never get the opportunity to use good punch lines on em like you guys...

d0nut
09-27-2006, 07:39 PM
I knew a guy that worked at the bus deopt on the north side in the 80's. Dude comes up with a TV box (on the street side of the fence). It has a cord hanging out and a rip in the front where you can see the tubt. "Man, I just stole this MFer......$25??" Hands him the money through the fence, the box goes over the fence and the dude bails. He opens the box and foids a brick, a cord and a old pitcure tube wedged into the front of the box.

Classic.......

Cryptic
09-27-2006, 09:03 PM
I should add this one now that you mentioned it...

A guy approached everyone in the bowling alley selling "deaf communication manuals" He just hands them to you without saying a word. When you read it, it says "pay for this deaf communcation manual for however much you think it's worth" All it is is a double sided xeroxed piece of paper that's wallet sized. The guy never says a damn thing to you, or barely even makes eye contact, he just shoves the paper in your face and acts all stale when you don't want to pay him for it. It might be different if he was walking around with a sign or identification that he worked for some non profit deaf organization, but there he was in a raiders t-shirt of all things. Was this a scam? I doubt there's any way to even verify the guy since he would act like he doesn't understand you.

I met a deaf person that can read lips and can pretty make out everything you say if your not mumbling.

WilliamZ
09-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I get hit up for this crap all the time, lwts go to Lake Geneva and ask to get back to milwaukee...

Hey good idea! There's more money here in Lake Geneva. When I get outa work I will give it a try :goof

Brandon W.
09-28-2006, 04:24 PM
in 8th Grade we went to a Trip to Washington D.C and in this shopping mall this like 16 year old kid came up to us and said his parents left him there and he had no money to get home..and you could see the wad of moneyhe had in his pocket..we knew it was a scam..we saw him later in the day laughing and counting his money..we got revenge.one of my friends pushed him over stole the money and started handing it out to people..he looked at us told us to stop cutting into his "buisness" and walked away...

hrsp
09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
damn scammers ruin everything....

some people "REALLY" do need a few bucks cause some crazy shat happend..