PDA

View Full Version : tough decision

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
So, I happened to wander over to the Ford store today, kinda out of boredom, but then things got serious. Crunched some numbers with the new car manager who is a friend of my father, and came up with figures of for only a few bucks more per month over my silverado, I can get a loaded 07 Mustang GT 5 speed, black on black 18" wheels shaker1000 stereo, the works. I'm all for it, just don't know if its a smart move. Giving up a good daily driver for a toy. I could always go find a beater to drive so this stang would in no way be a daily driver for me, and would never see rain or snow, I just don't know if its a good idea. Financially, it makes sense, giving up a 4 year old vehicle at 8.9% and going to a brand new vehicle with slightly less interest. The mustang may be worth slightly more after its paid off. What do you guys think?

UnderPSI
09-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Do you use the truck as a Truck, or do you just drive it? I mean do you ever use the bed or plow with it? If you arn't going to miss the bed I would get rid of it. Might as well have a fun daily and a beater for winter.

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:09 AM
see, ive used it to tow numerous vehicles, however, none of those vehicles I towed were mine :rolleyes: I occasionally used the bed to haul shit, but it was never anything too big to fit in my mothers sable wagon. Plus if I got a beater, chances are it would be a pickup, a cheap 4x4 or somethin.

Anyways, when I was at the Ford store, I test drove an automatic GT and it moved pretty well for stock and sounded real nice. If I were to get one, id be custom ordering that shit the way I want it, and with a brand new car, thats the only way to go, specially when buying something like this.

Edit: 90% of my driving is just driving, the other 10% I actually use the truck for what it is.

Nix
09-21-2006, 09:22 AM
As long as you can afford it and you arent living check to check I would do it. You never know when you will get this opprotunity again. Just make sure that every year around this time that you have money to buy a beater and be prepared to pay good money for one or put a ton of money in to one.

But none the less I would do it if I knew I was living comfortable. :thumbsup

Good luck man and post pics whenever it comes in.

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
well im still deciding on it. not sure at this point, because I do love my truck, which is kinda making this decision very difficult.

wikked
09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Couldn't ya just buy an old 'beater' truck to tow things around with?

juicedimpss
09-21-2006, 09:40 AM
you stepping down to a ford?

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:42 AM

eh, I was never a big fan of F-bodies (here comes negative rep from that comment) :goof

I always liked mustangs and I love this new gen of stangs, so I immediately thought oh shit, if its within grasp, why not? But still, I love my Z71..... Its tough to say it, but maybe I should wait a while till I pay off the truck.... then buy a brand new toy. Then I have a decent truck still, and a brand new toy. As much as I don't want to wait, that would probably be my best route... Personally and financially.

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:43 AM

oh yeah.. .and who was it that bought an F150 and had many problems with it??? :chair: :loser

DirtyMax
09-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Check the insurance on that car too. They might laugh at you if you try to insure a brand new GT.

The decision might be made for you...

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Check the insurance on that car too. They might laugh at you if you try to insure a brand new GT.

The decision might be made for you...

oh believe me, that hasnt crossed my mind, but full coverege insurance for my Z71 is only $236 a year.

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I think the problem is I dont know what I want anymore.... Well I do know what I want, but I cant afford everything, and im having problems with my limited options. Too bad I don't work at the Sargento cheese factory. I wouldnt mind a jackpot like that :D

juicedimpss
09-21-2006, 09:51 AM
oh yeah.. .and who was it that bought an F150 and had many problems with it??? :chair: :loser
and who got out of his ford before owning it a whole year? :)

seriously,the new stangs are a sharp looking car.if you can swing it and really want it...do it.
lke you said,the only times you have used your truck as a truck,was helping other people.i know all too well how that works.they can buy their own,or rent a truck.spend your money on what you want to have.:banana

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:53 AM
I wouldnt mind having your impala either..... trade ya my quad :D

juicedimpss
09-21-2006, 09:53 AM
full coverege insurance for my Z71 is only $236 a year.
huh?:confused
how can it be that cheap?

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 09:54 AM
huh?:confused
how can it be that cheap?

I dont know and I certainly wasnt going to argue with my insurance guy

Slow Joe
09-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I'd think about that one thoroughly first, and see what you can find in a "beater" truck before doing anything...

RanJer
09-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Didn't you just sell a beater truck? :goof

Run the numbers, see what you can afford. Be sure you'll have something to drive in winter cuz it's coming fast.. :flipoff2: winter!

H8RADE
09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Didn't you just sell a beater truck?

1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!
I may know of a beater S10 with fresh paint.
$3500 on craigslist...
:rolf

PB86MCSS
09-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Just my two cents, buying any brand new vehicle isn’t smart financially, based on depreciation. Are you going to keep it as a toy and modify it? Then it makes even less sense, as far as the warranty goes (one of the main benefits to having a new car, IMO). Especially if you will only drive it a little over half the year, that’s a lot of payments going for something you don’t use. Sharp car, just be sure before siging away I guess.

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 10:56 AM
depreciation? my silverado at signing was $22,000. After its payed off 5 years down the road, I'd be lucky to sell it for $6,000.

Brand new mustang at signing: $33,000 ish including tax title...etc. 5 years later, probably worth over $9,000 at least.

All brand new and slightly used vehicles depreciate, its the way it goes.

97z2801ss
09-21-2006, 11:04 AM
sounds like your fighting yourself a bit man

do what u want. you could just find an older fast stang like LXfurys and buy that ;) hahaha

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 11:05 AM
been there done that, wont make that mistake again....

seriously though, I am fighting myself on this decision. I think im just going to hold off a while and wait till I get some decent positive equity built up in the truck then either hang onto that and buy a toy, or trade it in for somethin.

PB86MCSS
09-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Exactly my point with depreciation. Why keep doing it by getting another new/newer car?

You already are taking a hit with your truck, why keep making payments on something else that will depreciate just as bad? If you want a toy, purchase something older thats paid for, IMO. I know this board is heavy on newer vehicles but it still doesn't mean its a good financial decision. The first few years are the most brutal on depreciation as well...buying a slightly used car thats for all intensive purposes, the same as the new one for a significantly lower price makes a bit more sense. Throwing in the fact of not driving it for half the year while making payments on it is something to think about. Just trying to help.

juicedimpss
09-21-2006, 11:25 AM
from someone who has bought "new" trucks,im done with that game.From now on ill be getting used vehicles....someone else can take the BIG hit.

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
yea I see what you are saying, but with what little cash I have, I couldnt afford to buy something outright that would be worth 2 shits, ya know? I do have a brand new 4 wheeler that would give me some nice cash in my pocket if I sold it, but idk if I want to sell that either. Personaly like I said, im probably going to wait around a few years till my truck has some positive equity, then buy a toy.

Slow Joe
09-21-2006, 11:30 AM
My thought is that the only people that should buy new vehicles are:

1) People getting 0% Financing :-)
2) People who keep 'em til they die (the car)
3) People who get 'em at or under invoice combined with 0% :-)
4) People who lease 'em and dump 'em at the end (even though a used car lease is more agressive)
5) People with unlimited income

I like buying brand new cars becuase in my opinion you end up with a better car, who knows how the last person cared for the car. (I work at a dealership and see how they come in...) But you have to pay the money to end up like that. I bought my Mustang brand new, 82k and she's still solid. Bought the Fusion brand new 2k, and no problems thus far. The Prizm don't count though :rolf

I bought my '02 Malibu used and it ended up being junk, bought my '98 Wrangler used and it had some issues and costed me some money but not too bad, bought my '98 S-10 used and it ended up needing a clutch slave and master cylinder after a year of driving. Buying a used vehicle you don't know what you're gunna get. My '95 Grand Cherokee was extremely reliable and I bought it used...

WilliamZ
09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
If the insurance isn't through the roof and you can afford it then I would buy it but if you are fighting it then I would hold off and wait until you are confident in your decision.

88Nightmare
09-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Id like to have one really bad, but not if I have to give up my silverado. I'll wait a little while, im sure another 0% deal would come along, in which case, id be able to afford my truck and a new stang, but only if the stang was 0%

Slow Joe
09-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Wait til next fall... It'll be back...

wikked
09-21-2006, 12:03 PM
What about a 2006? Sure you'd have to search more to find the options you want, but you'd save thousands.
Are the two identical still?

Nix
09-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I like what wikked just said, I was thinking the same thing. You can go and look at an 05'-06' and save a shit load of cash. Personally me being 26 I have never bought a new car only bacause I know that once you drive that thing off the lot it is not worth what you payed for it. That goes for a lot of things. The newest car Ive owned in my 00' TA and I got a great deal on that.

Some people dont like the idea of buying used cars, why? I dont know but you save a ton of money. I say either buy it or go and browse around and look at an 05'-06', you get basically the same car with some miles on it for cheaper. Just my 2 cents.:thumbsup

juicedimpss
09-21-2006, 12:23 PM
i agree,i kinda like to go for the newer,high mileage.you know it has been run on the highway,not some grandma drivig it one block to church.

Nix
09-21-2006, 12:29 PM
mileage.you ,not some grandma drivig it one block to church.

You know its funny when people say its only got 20K on its a 88' Cutlass and they also say that it was drivin by my grandma. So what, well then that means that grandma probably also forgot to change the oil on a regular basis and the tires are all dry rotted along with all the hoses and seals.:D

juicedimpss
09-21-2006, 12:34 PM
You know its funny when people say its only got 20K on its a 88' Cutlass and they also say that it was drivin by my grandma. So what, well then that means that grandma probably also forgot to change the oil on a regular basis and the tires are all dry rotted along with all the hoses and seals.:D
as well as an exhaust that is rotted off.plus the engine was prob never fully warm,so there is corrosion in the engine due to not burning condensation off..........

Nix
09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
as well as an exhaust that is rotted off.plus the engine was prob never fully warm,so there is corrosion in the engine due to not burning condensation off..........

Good points man, great minds think alike.
+1:)

wikked
09-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Don't forget the carbon build up from never going over 11% throttle.
And the left blinker that's almost dead from being on 75% longer.

Cjburn
09-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Or the piss stained seat from leaky Depends...

PB86MCSS
09-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Or due to being legally blind ran into a few other parked cars or other innate objects.

This is from my observation, but it seems that elderly people generally know how to take care of their cars as well or better than many if not most people in their 20's to 40's who think oil changes are optional and only wash the vehicle when driving through a rain storm. Probably due to extra time on their hands and they took/take pride in keeping stuff clean and maintained in general.

wikked
09-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Or the piss stained seat from leaky Depends...

:rolf :puke

Lash
09-21-2006, 09:18 PM
LMAO @ the last few replies!!

Reverend Cooper
09-21-2006, 09:38 PM
buy that ****er its a bad ass car and looks tough as hell

Poncho
09-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I'd say try to find a leftover '06 Mustang GT @ 0%

Slow Joe
09-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I like what wikked just said, I was thinking the same thing. You can go and look at an 05'-06' and save a shit load of cash. Personally me being 26 I have never bought a new car only bacause I know that once you drive that thing off the lot it is not worth what you payed for it. That goes for a lot of things. The newest car Ive owned in my 00' TA and I got a great deal on that.

Some people dont like the idea of buying used cars, why? I dont know but you save a ton of money. I say either buy it or go and browse around and look at an 05'-06', you get basically the same car with some miles on it for cheaper. Just my 2 cents.:thumbsup

If you saw some of the wonderful used "program" cars that come in sometimes you'd understand why I'd be a bit weary of a used Mustang... But at the same time when there was 0% interest and you could buy at invoice it was a great deal...

Example...

Car #1 Brand New Car "X" is 22,000 MSRP, but you can buy it for 19500 at invoice. at 0% you're paying $19,500 for the car in the end...

Car #2 Used Car "X" (same make, model and year as new car "x") is 15595 on Sale, you bargian and purchase the car for $15000. Your interest rate is 8% on the used vehicle for 72mo so in the end you pay 18935.90 for the car, which you're paying 3935.90 in interest.

So for $600 more, you could of purchased a BRAND NEW vehicle with 50 miles on it, instead of a USED vehicle with 15,000 miles on it... I know which one I'd rather have. And that's if you stole the car...

Just in case you're wondering I'm using the car we just bought as an example... 2006 Ford Fusion SEL... I took what we paid for it... And what a 15k mile car ran through the auction for... And used what whoever bought it paid at the auction for the car as the $15,000. That don't include the buy fees, setup charges, etc, so you'd probably end up paying closer to 16,500 for the car, and in that case it makes no sence...

DirtyMax
09-21-2006, 10:32 PM
I'd say try to find a leftover '06 Mustang GT @ 0%

The pickins of 2006 5 speed cars is veeeerrrry slim to none unless you want a vert.

Slow Joe
09-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Isn't 0% over with??

DirtyMax
09-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Isn't 0% over with??

The 0% for 72 is I think but I heard a radio ad today and thought it said that F-Series trucks were 0% for 60 still. Who knows about cars though....

Slow Joe
09-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Probably quite a few trucks still hanging out, that's why... Gotta clear out the inventory... I know cars started sellin like hotcakes once that hit... Finding a nicely equipped fusion was a PITA!

Al
09-21-2006, 10:39 PM
If you are not using the truk for regular hauling or never haul anything heavy (1 ton), get the pony and get a trailer hitch and a small trailer.

Poncho
09-21-2006, 10:42 PM
there are a few leftover 06 GTs @ ewald in hartford

in particular a Redfire GT, all options, or at least most.

still there, we test drove it.

pretty sure they extended the 0 for 72.

88Nightmare
09-22-2006, 02:07 PM
0 for 72 is over according to the new car sales manager I spoke with at braeger. but anywho, got my eye on something else that is in my budget and wayyyyy more versatile then a mustang. no details yet, but ill say its a 2006. I was staring at it for about an hour while I had my silverado in today to get the oil changed, tires rotated, and a minor recall taken care of, and the guy who sold me my silverado came out and we were talkin, then I test drove it, twice, and then stared at it some more. Goin back tonight to crunch some numbers and work out fine details. I'll give details on it if I get it. And then of course, some pics. :D

Poncho
09-22-2006, 03:12 PM
sport-trac?

88Nightmare
09-22-2006, 03:19 PM
**** no I dont want that cluster****ed pile of shit. if i wanted a crossover, id get an avalance. those things rock. but no, no sport trac. im lookin at a gm product.

GRAMPS SS
09-22-2006, 03:21 PM
easy...truck....hauling and sucks gas
new mustang....babe magnet
do the math............=mustang ...babe magnet....bingo......

88Nightmare
09-22-2006, 03:23 PM
im not that much of a loser to use my car as a vessel for getting laid :D

GRAMPS SS
09-22-2006, 03:27 PM
didn't say that....but a mustang ...that car is sooooooo cool looking and easy on the eyes...a truck.....is just a truck...hell i drive a wagon....need someone to look up to...would be coop but everyone is picking on him....i had the SS...now a wagon...see where i'm coming from.......enjoy your young life...when you old like me it's mini vans and wagons

88Nightmare
09-22-2006, 03:28 PM
bah **** that, ill always either have a truck or a fast car. or both. and at the moment, I got a good deal callin my name.

88Nightmare
09-23-2006, 10:11 AM
ok well i got an appointment at 10:30 to go sign on my new G-Ride. Its a great deal for a nicely equipped vehicle. I test drove it plenty, I drove it twice yesterday, and I went in to buy it, I told him hey lets just get all the stuff ready to do, and then I will just come in tomorrow, sign and take delivery and be outta there, so he says eh just take it with ya tonight and come back and sign tomorrow (had to sign some demo agreement saying it would be covered under my insurance) no big deal, so I drove it around some, showed a few people, they thought it was a nice ride, so its a done deal in my books. Legally, it will be done in about an hour. Pics to come :D

HP ADDICT
09-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer SS?