PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Mercury Marquis Grand 5.0

fox_body
09-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Im planning to pull the motor in my stang this winter but I have a lead on a 1986 MERCURY MARQUIS 5.0 engine with 40k miles. for real cheap!! The motor already has mass air, fuel injection. is this motor the same as what I have already?? "looks the same" what are the diff if any?? all I would need is the bolck and working my way up.

Thanks

blackhorse
09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
.Is it a H.O motor???????? if it is then they are the same motor. Will work just fine

Car Guy
09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
For the most part both the HO and non-HO 5.0L physically are the same but yet very different. No Grand Marquis ever came with a HO 5.0 so unless it was swapped in stay away, well that's if you want your car to get out of its own way.....

DirtyMax
09-18-2006, 09:49 PM
The H2O pump spins the opposite way on an H.O vs. non if I recall correctly...

MurphysLaw88GT
09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
different firing order i think

danwaite
09-19-2006, 07:13 PM
dif injectors, dif upper and lower intakes(ported more i think), non ho isn't roller, HO is. Few things different between the two.

Reverend Cooper
09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
h.o is only roller cam,cobra is roller rocker and roller cam. non has neither.

Prince Valiant
09-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Couldn't one just swap cam, front accessories, intake, fuel injection, distributer to essentially make a non-HO into a defacto HO? I don't know that the heads are different, pretty sure the compression ratio would be down too...

Ricky Bobby
09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Im planning to pull the motor in my stang this winter but I have a lead on a 1986 MERCURY MARQUIS 5.0 engine with 40k miles. for real cheap!! The motor already has mass air, fuel injection. is this motor the same as what I have already?? "looks the same" what are the diff if any?? all I would need is the bolck and working my way up.

Thanks
could i get the body of the marquis when done or is it just the motor

92lxcoupe
09-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Couldn't one just swap cam, front accessories, intake, fuel injection, distributer to essentially make a non-HO into a defacto HO? I don't know that the heads are different, pretty sure the compression ratio would be down too...

The heads are slightly different, and the non roller engines are not set up for roller lifters. The lifter bores are much more shallow and the lifter valley is not drilled for the spider shaped plate that holds the lifters in place. Not sure about the compression, but HOs are only 9:1 anyway.

Also, since it is an '86 it is not mass air, but if the car you are putting it in is, then just use the mass air you already have. Does the intake manifold say "5.0 H.O." or not? Doe sit have serpentine front accessory drive or not? I know the older Crown Vics were available with an HO, so I don't see why the Grand Marquis wouldn't be.

Prince Valiant
09-22-2006, 01:59 PM
9.0:1 in those days were pretty high (tame now, of course). Many of the low-po engines (the gut of 150-170hp v8's) were mostly low 8's, even high 7's in those days.