PDA

View Full Version : $30 Little R/C Airplane = Big fun

Syclone0044
09-15-2006, 12:23 AM
I picked up this little R/C airplane for 30 bucks complete, ready to fly, and let me tell you this little "Bipe" kicks ass!! :thumbsup :banana

Photo: http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=27861&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I've never owned an R/C plane before (or flown one for that matter) but you can learn to fly this thing in 30 seconds. Its called "Aero Ace" by Air Hogs and you can get it at Target or Toys R Us in a few different colors/channels. There must have been a breakthrough in electronics because this thing weighs absolutely nothing yet contains a lithium polymer battery (like a cell phone) and 2 little motors with a 2 channel receiver. Flight time is about 15 minutes in the sky!! Takes about 15 minutes to charge back up for another flight. Power comes from the 6 AA batteries in the transmitter/charger.

The only reason I got it is because I got such a strong recommendation from a friend, and he pointed me to these two threads where dozens of guys (adults!) were just RAVING about what a steal this is and what a blast for 30 bucks.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3368184/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444953 (68 pages!)

It flies right in your back yard, I've got it twice as high as a 2 story rooftop so far. Best in 0-3mph winds or it gets knocked around. In those threads there are some videos of guys flying them on work breaks in a warehouse and a company lobby. Someone also got the schematics and these guys have a bunch of mods already, landing gear, running lights for nightime flying, controller mods, etc.

The nice thing is, its made of this rubbery foam and virtually indestructible!! I've crashed mine about 50 times already and got it stuck in a few trees etc., and there's barely a scratch on it! :D

pOrk
09-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Theres a shit load of reviews about this damn thing, seems that it is on back order at all the online places. I want one!

Yooformula
09-15-2006, 06:58 AM
I have seriously thought about trying one of those things but figured it was junk and wouldnt really fly. Definetly worth a try now.

Silver350
09-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Sounds pretty cool. I am thinking of a bunch of things I could do with it right now LOL.

jbiscuit
09-15-2006, 07:43 AM
a guy here at work has one. There is a group that meets at Starbucks on Water Street in the 3rd ward sometimes and they fly them down by the Hoan Bridge on Sunday afternoons. I'll see if I can find out what time etc they meet at. I was thinking about tagging along and snapping some photos.

DirtyMax
09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Dogfights! :headbang

CruxGNZ
09-15-2006, 10:41 AM
I just called the Target in Waukesha. Lady put it on hold for me. It's the last one they have in stock. I guess it's green/yellow (yuk), so I'll have to repaint it. Lets put some ribbons on the tails of these and have BCM dog fights!

Lash
09-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I want one!!!!

Korndogg
09-15-2006, 10:56 AM
yeah me too lol. I was thinking about getting a helicopter instead though. I have a big field behind my house. I could have tons of fun. As long as the airport doesnt yell at me lol.

DirtyMax
09-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Lets put some ribbons on the tails of these and have BCM dog fights!

Crap.. there goes that idea:

They come in 3 different channels: A, B, C. All are operating on the same frequency in the 27MHz band, but they use different digital encodings so you can (only) have 3 flying at the same time.

Flight_740
09-15-2006, 10:58 AM
I almost bought one lastnight but figured I would just be wasting $30.

UnderPSI
09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Year around plane wars in the barn :thumbsup

PureSound15
09-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Year around plane wars in the barn :thumbsup

Brad ... did you say bottle rockets? Or was that me?

:devil :devil :devil

:rolf

DirtyMax
09-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Brad ... did you say bottle rockets? Or was that me?

:devil :devil :devil

The bottle rockets can be the Surface-To-Air missles. :banana1:

PureSound15
09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
:rolf :rolf :rolf I was thinkin the same thing.

Roman candles would work well too.

Now I'll have to buy one and find a way to launch some bottle rockets from the plane. I just added "2 rc planes" to Kelly's shopping list.

UnderPSI
09-15-2006, 12:11 PM
OH, now this is sounding like fun.

PureSound15
09-15-2006, 12:13 PM
:goof I'm just going to go ahead and buy a couple of these at once, in anticipation of one or 2 getting nailed by a bottle rocket.

Syclone0044
09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Glad you guys found this interesting!! Post up if you get one! :thumbsup

yeah me too lol. I was thinking about getting a helicopter instead though. I have a big field behind my house. I could have tons of fun. As long as the airport doesnt yell at me lol.
There is a helicopter made similar to the Aero Ace called the "PiccoZ" and they have it at Toys R Us and Radio Shack, also $30. T.R.U. has several colors, Radio Shack has just 1. My friend got one and he says it's equally awesome but "indoors only" because any wind will make it impossible to fly. I might pick one up, gonna play with the Aero Ace for a while and see if I get bored first.

PureSound15
09-15-2006, 12:24 PM
That helicopter is badass too!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=807240

I don't know how I can drop mini-dynomites from that though...

CruxGNZ
09-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Got one earlier. Flew it around for at least 30 minutes before it died! After using it for a while, I took off the lower wings and man WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Makes it fly sooo much better and higher. You can just pull them right out without wrecking the plane. I then attached the lower wings to the upper wings to make a really wide wingspan. It worked fine, but the handling sucked, so I took them off.

I wanted to attach a rocket engine to it, but the plane doesn't have the control needed to do that. It would just light, then do loops (or blow up/fall apart) untill it burned out. Damn.

The plane landed upside down in the pond and to my amasement, it worked like a boat too. :) However, I don't recomend it.

I have frequency "B". Who has A and C for some dog fights?

CruxGNZ
09-15-2006, 02:01 PM
If you are looking for one, Target in Waukesha is out, Toys R Us in Brookfield and the one off 27th are out too. Good luck finding one.

GTSLOW
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Im buying one!! Know of a secret place to get em ;)

pOrk
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Dude, tell me tell me!!!

Im buying one!! Know of a secret place to get em ;)

Flight_740
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Anybody know anything about this one?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123300&cp=2032062.2032402.2032406&pg=3&parentPage=family

pOrk
09-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Anybody know anything about this one?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123300&cp=2032062.2032402.2032406&pg=3&parentPage=family

The shack sells it, that means it probably sucks

GTSLOW
09-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Has anyone tried any of the other Air Hogs planes? They have alot of other ones!!

Flight_740
09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Has anyone tried any of the other Air Hogs planes? They have alot of other ones!!

Also curious.

Crawlin
09-15-2006, 02:15 PM
my pops has had a couple of the helicopters. quite a bit more difficult to get to fly steady, but more fun IMHO. We rigged up a couple little crosses on the landing area of the helicopter and attached ping pong balls to the bottom. that way it gave it a little bit bigger cross section to land on because those blades got tore up pretty quick if you tipped it on it's side.

fun factor - 11 on a 10 point scale for SURE!

Syclone0044
09-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Mat73GNZ, when you remove the lower wings, do you "break" anything? Is it 100% nondestructive, do you break any glue?

I've got channel C for the dog fights :shades

And guys, my friend picked mine up for me and I don't know where, on the reciept it says:

Toys R Us, 414 282-4300. Milwaukee, WI 53221. Give them a call and ask if they have any left. $29.99.

CruxGNZ
09-15-2006, 04:21 PM
It's simple. Cut the uprights with a scissors. Then slowly pull the front of the wing out from the body of the plane. The glue is very pliable, so you won't break anything. Same goes for what's left of the upright on the top wing, just slowly peel it up. Start peeling it up with your fingers and pull it off slowly. The only tool you need is a scissors or a knife to cut the upright. If you need any other tools, you are doing it wrong :) . EDIT: I bet you could do it without cutting uprights, if you're worried about the waranty.

So far the plane has been stuck on the roof twice, been caught in a tree more times than I can count, fell in the pond twice, nose dived into a bird feeder full of water making for a pretty cool 'landing', and scarred the shit out of my parents dog once. It's a fun little toy.

Oh, found out that if you tape a dime to the nose of the plane, it flies a little better. It doesn't porpoise anymore.

The only damamge so far was the tail fell off. A little cyanopoxy fixed 'er right up and I was back flying in no time!

Syclone0044
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
To the guys who asked about the rest of the Air Hogs line, according to the rcgroups.com forums, STEER CLEAR... The Aero Ace and PiccoZ are made by a company called "Silverlit" and AirHogs is just the distributor. They said the rest of the Air Hogs line is crap and flies terrible. The reason the Aero Ace is good is because it's made by a seperate manufacturer (Silverlit).

PS: You guys sure are some stingy bastards when it comes to the Reputation; I have not recieved any on this post yet! Are you saving 'em all for the titty pic *** posts??? :goof :durr

CruxGNZ
09-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Threw some + rep your way Josh. Thanks for keeping me entertained this afternoon.

PureSound15
09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
:thumbsup There's some rep

Crawlin
09-15-2006, 04:43 PM
-1 For Asking For Rep :)

GTSLOW
09-15-2006, 08:15 PM
:rolf @ chris

I've found em at a few places but I want a blue/silver one.

junk mx6 no rly
09-15-2006, 08:57 PM
kool thing is they make superchargers and turbos for rc gas vehicles.http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=b1c801793e2198522f8eb86e9058a758

PureSound15
09-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I BOUGHT ONE!

Well... I bought the helicopter for twice the price, but I just couldn't resist!
So here's my story.

Twas a fine night in Green Bay, It was 5:00 and I was waiting for kelly to come home from work. We decided to go to the mall to get a few things we needed from shopko and the such, so off we went. On the way into the mall, I spotted a Radio Shack. "YES!" I thought to myself, but I was let down by Radio Shacks sh1ty selection and employees who knew nothing of what I was talking about. Kelly says "There's no way you're buying a helicopter, or a plane... or whatever. it's a toy! you don't need anymore toys!" She couldn't have stopped in her tracks any faster after laying her eyes on a magnavox 20" tv for $69.99 "it's perfect for the bedroom!" she says. "blah blah blah dont need toys I assholishly snipped back, only to realize that this was my chance to ensure my ability to purchase a helicopter. I immediatly turned around and 5 minutes later, we walked out of the store with a tv. "So... now that you have your toy, I'll get mine... let's go to Toys R Us!" She couldn't argue.

Walking into Toys R Us I felt like a kid again. I won't lie, I was checking out all of the toys from die cast models to G.I. Joes. But I knew what I was there for. After a bit of searching, I FOUND THEM! Not only did I find the two types of helicopters, I found a whole plethera of RC Planes! Most specifically they had 4 different planes. "What am I going to buy, I can't buy the whole jubilee of toys?!" After 37 minutes of thought, I settled on the helicopter. Once we got home I immediatly took it out!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/BadassHelicopter001.jpg

But damnit was that packaging hard to get off! I'm all for injection molding and plastic weld but for the love of baby Jesus this was a pain in the ass. After 10 minutes I was this far!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/BadassHelicopter004.jpg

I finally had it, it even came charged! Do not be fooled, it's rather hard to control. 5 minutes into training I experienced my first tradgedy. The tail arm broke in half and the rutter wing nearly fell off!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/BadassHelicopter007.jpg

"Sh1T!" I thought. But no worries... it really didn't effect anything that I could tell. perhaps a bit with the steering, but I'll work on that later. After another 15 minutes of flying, I nearly have the hang out of it and man is it fun.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/BadassHelicopter020.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/BadassHelicopter018.jpg

I did take her outside after a 10 minute charge, and with less than a 5 MPH wind, she handled great! My building is 3 stories tall and I would say it went up another 15 feet beyond that without a problem and without losing signal.

Here she sits. Ready for another day. And if any of you are having problems finding the plane that you want, I would have no problem buying one for you up here and bringing it back the next time I am in Milwaukee (within a few weeks).

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/BadassHelicopter029.jpg

~Ryan

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Ha thats sweet! :thumbsup

I'll be picking up my two Aero Aces as soon as I get the T/A waxed. :D

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Bought 3 from Toys R us on 27th. They still had a few left.

Got frequencys A,B,C!

EDIT

Has anyone tried the ones that look like a Jet? Theres two kinds of Aero Ace's.

Crawlin
09-16-2006, 02:27 PM
sweeet!!!

I'm thinking of something different. My pop's little helicopter is like 2-3 times the size of that one. I'd almost want the smaller one anyways. Would work awesome with my cathedral ceilings, haha

PureSound15
09-16-2006, 03:22 PM
My helicopter took a while to "trim" so that it didn't spin wildly, and now I can actually have it go where I would like it to.

How do you like the planes. I might go buy one of those too:goof

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
sweeet!!!

I'm thinking of something different. My pop's little helicopter is like 2-3 times the size of that one. I'd almost want the smaller one anyways. Would work awesome with my cathedral ceilings, haha

Full size r/c helicopters are a MOTHA to fly. LIL more than a size difference with those. My buddies has like 6 or more channels I think.

Took him a few years to get where he is. Now he can do flips, barrel rolls, everthing.

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 04:23 PM
My helicopter took a while to "trim" so that it didn't spin wildly, and now I can actually have it go where I would like it to.

How do you like the planes. I might go buy one of those too:goof

Havent opened mine up yet.

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album46/IMG_0001_001.sized.jpg

:goof

Hopefully the jets are good too!

PureSound15
09-16-2006, 04:25 PM
well cmon... how are they?! Don't tell me you havn't been out this afternoon playing (:rolf )

Yooformula
09-16-2006, 04:32 PM
is this only available at Toys r us?

PureSound15
09-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Nope. I found a bunch at Shopko today, and I've heard they have them at Target as well.

Teufelhunden
09-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Target only seems to have the Aero Ace JET version. Toys R Us has a lot of the Jet version as well. Examples: http://www.lukesrcplanes.com/pb/wp_42030990/wp_42030990.html

CruxGNZ
09-16-2006, 07:35 PM
The plane is the one you want. This is the one you can make modifications to. I got mine at Target in Waukesha, but I got the last one. Where else is there a Target around here?

It's day two with this plane and I'm still having fun with it. It is pretty damn hard to control with the winds we had today though. Still trying to figure out how to make it do a backflip. I want to tape a bottle rocket onto the tail to see what happens. Have to wait untill it's less windy though.

One tip for you guys, floor it to get it way up in the air then scale back on the throttle. This makes it a lot more fun to fly and makes for better/tighter turns. Took me awhile to figure this out and not floor it all the time :goof

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 10:04 PM
THE JET IS THE BETTER ONE!!!

Oh my god these things are a friggen blast!! This is the best 30 dollars I've spent in a long time!!

I dunno the jet handles sooo much better than the plane!

I've got 5 total now. Three jets and two planes. If anyone wants to buy one of the above lemme know, they're still in the box. Just gotta drive to south milwaukee to get em.

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 10:06 PM
well cmon... how are they?! Don't tell me you havn't been out this afternoon playing (:rolf )

Shiat I've been flying until it was dark out. Half my neighborhood was watching. I gave up after flying into my self several times (to dark).

subliminal1284
09-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Im gonna have to get me one of these.

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Do it! They are so much fun. You'll draw a crowd quick with these lil buggers. And like josh said, they take a beating and keep on go'in!

If you're happy with a stock one that flys great then get the Jet. Otherwise the plane can be modded.

PureSound15
09-16-2006, 10:53 PM
I havn't bought a plane yet, but I probably will tomorrow. What kind of mods can be done to the plane that can't be done to the jet? And I want to get the single wing plane right?

GTSLOW
09-16-2006, 11:00 PM
I havn't bought a plane yet, but I probably will tomorrow. What kind of mods can be done to the plane that can't be done to the jet? And I want to get the single wing plane right?

Alright ryan, as I can tell most of the guys on here have the double winged one. That is also the one that can be modded. I have both, quite a few actually and IMHO the jet is better. I can gain altitude higher and it seems to turn better and all.

I will do somemore testing tonite and tomorrow and let ya know! I'll be out as soon as the sun comes up!! I can't wait to fly these things again.

Night flight is ok but a lil boring cuz you cant really see what you're doing.

GTSLOW
09-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow I guess everyone bought one and is out flying.

To windy here today :(

chargedformula
09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
i picked up the jet at target. i tried it out at a park right away. it flew awesome but the wind was just a little too much. when i was going against the wind it would barely move forward and would almost hover in place. i cant wait until a nicer day comes around!

Syclone0044
09-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Damn I wish I was getting a commission on the sales! http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_jest.gif

chargedformula: The Biplane has the same problem in the wind, I think it's just the wind being stronger than the little motors. A problem I've run into when that happens is, you get it high enough and you can't bring it back and eventually it drifts out of your flying zone and you've got no choice but to kill power and crash it and (hopefully) find it. They are a ton more fun when the wind is very low or calm!!

I read about guys who lost theirs in thermal wind currents, I guess it lifted it out of the sky and it disappeared. The manufacturer sells replacement planes for like 15 bucks evidently.

PureSound15
09-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Waaaay too windy up here in Green Bay to go out and fly anything today. Although I'm plannin on another trip to toys R' us to see what they have left :thumbsup

GTSLOW
09-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Well I just ran thru a battery on each (plane & Jet)

The jet is without a doubt better!! It gains altitude HELLA fast and you can do bad ass highspeed dives into a sharp turn(awsome for scaring people).

The plane is very manuverable because its SLOW. Which would be good for someone with a decent sized living room or backyard with trees.

IMO
Jet is faster which requires more room
Plane is slow which makes in very manuverable at slow speeds

Either way I love both :thumbsup

Flight_740
09-18-2006, 10:28 AM
:fire I bought one, the jet. had it for a total of 20 minutes and I lost it. It's somewhere on top of pick n save.:fire

DirtyMax
09-18-2006, 10:31 AM
:fire I bought one, the jet. had it for a total of 20 minutes and I lost it. It's somewhere on top of pick n save.:fire

You didn't lose it. Sounds like you know exactly where it is. :goof

Time to do some evening recon... :D

Nix
09-18-2006, 12:19 PM

Mike just go in there and tell them what happened. They should have roof acess somewhere in the back of the warehouse at the store. Ask to speak with a manager and just tell them it was an accident and could I get my fvcking plane back please?:D

GTSLOW
09-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Mike just go in there and tell them what happened. They should have roof acess somewhere in the back of the warehouse at the store. Ask to speak with a manager and just tell them it was an accident and could I get my fvcking plane back please?:D

Thats what I would do! :thumbsup

I got my jet stuck in my roof this morning. Boy was that a pain in the fvcking as to get without a ladder. Definately worth it tho :D

2kgtp
09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
The walmart in New Berlin has bout 6 of those planes in stock as of yesterday. (sunday 17th). Various channels.

chargedformula
09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
i crashed mine today and broke one of the props, does anyone know where to get replacement parts?

GTSLOW
09-18-2006, 07:52 PM
It says in the man. to just tape it back on. I've done a lil damage to my Jet also. The thing is so much faster than the plane.

Another thing I noticed is you can fly the jet in stronger winds than the plane. If it's the slightest bit windy and you've got a plane might as well go back inside.

pOrk
09-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Nan you got any Jets left? I need one of these!

subliminal1284
09-18-2006, 10:26 PM
I saw 3 of these planes at target in kenosha, they also had an air hogs f 16 that looked interesting.

Josepy
09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
the f16 sucks. it does not fly. i got a jet. flys prett damn well. also do not get the dominator.

GTSLOW
09-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Hehe surprised how much these things have picked up!

I can't beleive how easy the Aero Ace line is to fly. My dad got one of the planes today and loves it. He wants to try the lower wing removal mod and see what that does.

subliminal1284
09-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Im gonna be picking up a jet asap, Im gonna try to figure out some mods I can do to it.

PureSound15
09-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Do you have a site for modding these things? Can we change the motor? I'm up for anything, I can finally hover my helicopter in one spot for quite a while. I still havn't gotten out to pick up a jet.

GTSLOW
09-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Not sure. I'm sure if you found the voltage or what not of the motor you could find somthing a lil larger at a hobby shop. Or they could order you one. Most likely you'd be looking at shorter run times with a larger motor. Could also pickup better propellers with the new motors too! :thumbsup

As for moding. The jet has a ton of wings on it. You could experiment by tweaking some with tape or what not to create different aero's on it. I love the jet because it glides forever!!!

GTSLOW
09-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Check this shiznit out!! A plane that flies like the jet!! I'm taking my lower wing off tonite!

http://media.putfile.com/AeroAce155remix

Anyone who has a plane, PULL the bottom wings off. It's like a night and day difference. I also tweeked my flap things on the back down a little, now it doesnt try to do a mad climb when you punch it. Things really cool now, fast like the jet but turns like a mofo!

UnderPSI
09-19-2006, 07:33 AM
I took off the lower wings and man WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Makes it fly sooo much better

Good idea now that we talked about it already :goof

subliminal1284
09-19-2006, 12:26 PM
I can only afford to get one at them moment, which one do you guys reccomdend I get the plane or the jet? I know the plane can be modified but does it fly as well as the jet even with mods?

Syclone0044
09-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Read the RC threads I posted in the first post of this group, they unanimously recommend the Aero Ace biplane as "the original" and most popular by far. For what that's worth.
http://warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/2cents1.gif

GTSLOW
09-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I can only afford to get one at them moment, which one do you guys reccomdend I get the plane or the jet? I know the plane can be modified but does it fly as well as the jet even with mods?

Get the Biplane and pull the lower wings. TRUST me when I say pull the lower wings. It will fly 10000% better!

GTSLOW
09-19-2006, 02:23 PM
I have 4 Jets and 1 Plane forsale if anyone would like one.

Price is $75 USD EA. :goof obo

subliminal1284
09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Anyone see the new plane/boat theyre coming out with its on airhogs site

http://www.airhogs.com/

CruxGNZ
09-19-2006, 03:33 PM
BLK02TA < Reading :durr

For those that can read, here is a thread dedicated to modifying these little buggers. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460819

Still flying mine and haven't broke anything yet. I want to find another one, so my woman and I can have dogfights. Yes, for those who haven't bought one yet, these are so easy to fly, even women can fly 'em (waits for the negative rep from the 4 women on this board :goof ).

Syclone0044
09-19-2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.aatoolbox.no-ip.org/

This site has a detailed directory of how to guides on all the mods to the plane, transmitter, reciever, etc.! :thumbsup

All the info in one place.

PureSound15
09-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks for that link Syclone, much easier to understand/navigate.

CruxGNZ
09-19-2006, 04:48 PM

This site has a detailed directory of how to guides on all the mods to the plane, transmitter, reciever, etc.! :thumbsup

All the info in one place.
Mucho better! Thanks.

Knyghtmare
09-19-2006, 06:01 PM
I picked one up today and made an attempt at flying it in the wind. Needless to say, within the first 5 minutes it took a hard biff on the pavement of a nearby parking lot.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/knyghtmare/aeroacenose.jpg

Syclone0044
09-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I got one more link to the mods. This one is more of an index of the RCGroups massive posts:

http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/index.php?title=Silverlit_X-Twins_Airhogs_AeroAce

GTSLOW
09-19-2006, 07:52 PM
BLK02TA < Reading :durr

For those that can read, here is a thread dedicated to modifying these little buggers. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460819

Still flying mine and haven't broke anything yet. I want to find another one, so my woman and I can have dogfights. Yes, for those who haven't bought one yet, these are so easy to fly, even women can fly 'em (waits for the negative rep from the 4 women on this board :goof ).

Bah

Nice link josh, I wanna do that turning mod so bad!!! It allows you to turn without applying the throttle!

Yooformula
09-19-2006, 11:45 PM
There is a modded transmitter on Ebay. Rigged up to take rechargeable batteries and still have enough volts.

Teufelhunden
09-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Found one at Walmart yesterday.:thumbsup

Teufelhunden
09-20-2006, 11:05 AM
With only a few flights, I already can tell the controller mod for turning without throttle coming in handy (see attachment .doc). Heading to Radio Shack on the way home tonight. :banana1:

fly5150
09-20-2006, 11:13 AM
We picked up some from wal-mart next to work and have been flying them around in the back all day yesterday and today. I am heading to Vegas later this week for work and we are gonna pick up a few and flyy them around the convention center.

Yooformula
09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I finally found the correct one at Walmart last night and have been using it all day. Friggin awesome. I cant stop laughing with this thing.

CruxGNZ
09-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Friggin awesome. I cant stop laughing with this thing.
I know! My woman and my sister both said that I look like a 12 year old running around the yard when ever it crashes.

Heading to Radio Shack to do the steering mod later as well. Maybe throw some landing gear on there for shits and grins too.

subliminal1284
09-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Ive been reading up on the mods you can do to these and I had an idea. Instead of removing the bottom wing and extending the top one, I wonder what would happen if you extended both sets of wings.

Also has anyone in here flown both the jet and the plane, Im trying to decide which one will be the best one.

PureSound15
09-20-2006, 05:09 PM
:goof You should see all the girls starin at me at school playin with a remote control helicopter outside:goof

subliminal1284
09-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Didnt I see you on Dateline NBC? Trying to lure the young ones with your toy helicopter eh? J/K

PureSound15
09-20-2006, 05:41 PM
:shades It works oh so well. :banana

I think I broke one of my props in a drunken flight last night. Now I really do feel like a pilot! haha

PureSound15
09-20-2006, 06:04 PM
For whatever reason I can't upload a 4 mg video of my chopper to either Photobucket or PutFile. With photobucket it gets to about 90% and then goes to the general error screen?

1quickgtp
09-20-2006, 06:06 PM
my brother just broke mine :( I flew it in to him, it fell he freaked out and sat his ass on it!!!! :(

CruxGNZ
09-20-2006, 06:29 PM
my brother just broke mine :( I flew it in to him, it fell he freaked out and sat his ass on it!!!! :(
Hahaha! Best destruction/crash story yet. :rolf

CruxGNZ
09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Did the turning without throttle mod and taking off the spring on the throttle tonight. Holy crap! This just keep getting more fun to fly! You can now sustain level flight very easily when you take the spring off the throttle. I made it through a gap of 18" in a fence TWICE (although, I tried about a dozen times). You just have to learn how to use the throttle again. I found myself forgetting to back off when it crashed. I can see landing this thing easily with some wheels. Think I'll steal some wheels from one of my nephew's toys.

The turning without throttle is an awsome modification. Took all of ten minutes and <$2. If you have the tools and patience, DO IT. It's a lot of fun getting that sucker way up there and controling where it glides.

Yooformula
09-20-2006, 08:12 PM
fark the landing gear. I got this mutha to land on my hand abunch of times and on my kids head once. I did several flips but have no idea what I did....dammit.

Korndogg
09-20-2006, 08:51 PM
ok so the real question is jet or prop??

86GUTLASS
09-20-2006, 08:58 PM
IM going to pick one up tomorrow.Cant wait.:banana1:

CruxGNZ
09-20-2006, 09:07 PM
ok so the real question is jet or prop??
There are two kinds of Air Hog Aero Aces. One is thier Jet and the other is thier Plane. You want to buy the plane.

I did several flips but have no idea what I did....dammit.
I have been sooo close at pulling off a back flip. All I have been doing is some cool hammer heads.

My plane is wierd. It flies better when the elevators are up. It climbs higher and faster when they are down, but it porpoises a lot. Hard to find a middle with this thing. Then again, it was only $30.

GTSLOW
09-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Ive been reading up on the mods you can do to these and I had an idea. Instead of removing the bottom wing and extending the top one, I wonder what would happen if you extended both sets of wings.

Also has anyone in here flown both the jet and the plane, Im trying to decide which one will be the best one.

I would go with the plane. Then at a later date get the Jet. I have both and they both fly equally different.

IMO the bottom wing creates to much drag. I took it off and it flys ALOT different. Flys alot better like the jet. So how hard is this turning mod and whats needed?

y2kws6
09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
So where are all the videos on these? I am afraid to buy one with three boys, at least two destroyers....

Dan

GTSLOW
09-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Dam I found a great video too.

<Searches rcgroups.com>

Mabye one of others have seen it. It's the one in the big garage. It's sick!!!!!!!

CruxGNZ
09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
So how hard is this turning mod and whats needed?
It's very easy. On a scale of one to five, it's a one. Disassemble the controler, solder in the two diodes, close the case back up and your done.

The info was on page 5 you noob :durr Post #90 I believe has the exact file you need to download.

GTSLOW
09-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Here's one:

http://www.cheap-rc.com/Dogfight.wmv

GTSLOW
09-20-2006, 09:59 PM
It's very easy. On a scale of one to five, it's a one. Disassemble the controler, solder in the two diodes, close the case back up and your done.

The info was on page 5 you noob :durr Post #90 I believe has the exact file you need to download.

Don't get mad because I have the Jet :goof

CruxGNZ
09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Here's the other video from post #74. By the way BLK02TA, you're a noob :durr

Check this shiznit out!! A plane that flies like the jet!! I'm taking my lower wing off tonite!

http://media.putfile.com/AeroAce155remix

GTSLOW
09-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Here's the other video from post #74. By the way BLK02TA, you're a noob :durr

You found it!!! :thumbsup

+1 for you!

PureSound15
10-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Alright... I can't figure out why Photobucket wont let me upload the whole video. But here's a taste of the take-off with the chopper. This thing is badass.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/?action=view&current=CopterFlight1.flv

88Nightmare
10-03-2006, 07:12 AM
ill have to buy one of these on payday

stowsea
10-10-2006, 11:36 PM
i just bought the Jet today and i have been flying it ever since. I am doing the turning mod tommorow. But has anyone figured out the landing gear mod yet. I really want it.

Yooformula
10-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Watch those gusts! I chased mine for almost 1/4 mile then needed to get in the car to chase it down. The damm thing wouldnt shut off and it climbed so high so fast it was crazy. It cleared the trees in my yard before I could slow it down then off it went with the breeze.

Syclone0044
10-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Right on, I was flying mine with my old man this weekend (he's got one too now) and his got really high, above the treetops. Once I saw it drift out of the area we both went running. Finally found it though.

Did you get yours back?

Yooformula
10-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Right on, I was flying mine with my old man this weekend (he's got one too now) and his got really high, above the treetops. Once I saw it drift out of the area we both went running. Finally found it though.

Did you get yours back?

I got it back finally. I tried to fly it later on and as soon as it left my hand, it shot up again so I shut it down and packed it up.

subliminal1284
10-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Well I finally got one, I did the wing mod but now from the little flying I have been able to do in my living room as soon as it flies a little bit it make a sharp turn and does a nose dive, Anyone else have that problem?

Yooformula
10-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Well I finally got one, I did the wing mod but now from the little flying I have been able to do in my living room as soon as it flies a little bit it make a sharp turn and does a nose dive, Anyone else have that problem?

I tried that and it worked for sh!t! I couldnt fly it at all once the lower wings were modded. The best mod IMO is the throttle mod.

stowsea
10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
i was flyimg mine today and i giant gust of wind took it into the lake. so for about an hour i was chasing it around shore until my friend decided to jump in and grab it. dont know if it works though havent tried it yet

stowsea
10-14-2006, 01:14 PM
ok so it turns out that it is waterproof too! haha it works just fine after charging

stowsea
04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
i just went and bought the bipe. it was gay until i cut the bottoms wings off and did the throttle mod, im going to put the running lights and landing gear on tonight, ill post pics

subliminal1284
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
My bipe is messed up, Im gonna try going to the hobby shop and fiding some other airplane body I can put the guts of mine onto.

stowsea
04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
My bipe is messed up, Im gonna try going to the hobby shop and fiding some other airplane body I can put the guts of mine onto.

check this one out

Yooformula
04-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I cut the bottom wings off of mine but it would fly right so I HAD to get another one.

y2kws6
04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Wings were the first thing to come off of mine. The hard thing that I have is the wind; that is getting it tom come back. I can keep it flying, but it goes farther and farther away.

Dan
I have all three frequency's and the helicopter

Yooformula
04-02-2007, 09:37 PM
dan, you got pics of where you cut?

Brandon W.
04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
damn...these seem cool.i might be taking a trip to wal-mart or something this weekend.

stowsea
04-03-2007, 12:50 AM
got the landing gear on but havent had the time for the lights yet.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/drift2388/planewheels.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/drift2388/planeside.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/drift2388/planefront.jpg

fly5150
04-03-2007, 12:06 PM
here is pictures of my new plane. Its just small enough to fit in my car. Have not flown it yet, but should soon. $190 ready to fly. Full control of rudder, elevator, ailerons, nose wheel, its pimp. i'll post video soon.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/flying5150/CIMG0567.jpg

TURTLE
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
parkflyers... those guys make a really nice quality product!

subliminal1284
04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Where did you get that?

fly5150
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
online. 190 shipped. Parkflyers.com

Yooformula
04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
very nice. how much assembly did it need?

fly5150
04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
10 minutes and a little glue.