PDA

View Full Version : Good Cruising Roads? (Not HWY 100 type of cruising)

PB86MCSS
09-13-2006, 07:26 AM
This Friday I took off from work as I am going to the Dells later in the afternoon. Its supposed to be very nice out and I'd like to take my SS for a drive, to help enjoy whats left of the nice days this year and just get use of the car ;). Anyone have suggestions for certain roads or areas that make for a nice cruise? I'd rather not go really far, but something in southeastern WI (I'm not driving to the Dells later on, someone else is). Smooth, winding, somewhat fast roads with good scenery would do the trick, the less stopping the better.

One area I've driven a few times starts off Sunset in Waukesha, highway D IIRC, past 83 all the way to Dousman (to get water from a natural spring, off Perry Road), but I'd like to do something different.

jbiscuit
09-13-2006, 07:41 AM
highway 20 west towards waterford...waterford to east troy.....east troy to whitewater. Thats a fun one. There are a couple good turns out there.

PureSound15
09-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Too bad you're not driving in the dells. Baraboo/Devils lake area is mostly twisty turny roads @ 55 MPH, makes for a good time:headbang

DirtyMax
09-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Hwy 45 up to 167 West thru Holy Hill then once you hit 83, take that South and you'll go through Erin and Chenequa. Decent scenery. 83 will take you all the way back to 94.

Or right before you get into Chenequa on 83, it will take a big left bend. If you go straight on the road, you can hit County CW and take that west to "P" and take that south into Oconomowoc or take P even farther south into Dousman and catch 18 and take that thru the country back into Waukesha.

All fun routes. Used to find them by trying to "get lost" in the Mustangs.

Have fun! :thumbsup

52isntbigenough
09-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Hwy B in Land O Lakes, Presque Isle

Hwy K in Boulder Junction

Both roads are in Vilas county....worth the trip.

michelle
09-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Hwy 45 up to 167 West thru Holy Hill then once you hit 83, take that South and you'll go through Erin and Chenequa. Decent scenery. 83 will take you all the way back to 94.

Or right before you get into Chenequa on 83, it will take a big left bend. If you go straight on the road, you can hit County CW and take that west to "P" and take that south into Oconomowoc or take P even farther south into Dousman and catch 18 and take that thru the country back into Waukesha.

All fun routes. Used to find them by trying to "get lost" in the Mustangs.

Have fun! :thumbsup

I second this route! Even though I live in the area and drove through Holy Hill twice a day back when I went to high school, it is still fun. Especially in the fall - just be careful of the wet leaves around the curves!

52isntbigenough
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I've lived out in Richfield my entire life....the roads are nice, but way too many cops.

Syclone0044
09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
If you get in the Holy Hill area look up St. Augustine Rd. beforehand, you won't believe it!!!!

TURTLE
09-13-2006, 02:27 PM
67 going south through the kettle moraine area is quite nice scenery and has some really nice corners to carve also...

michelle
09-13-2006, 02:28 PM
If you get in the Holy Hill area look up St. Augustine Rd. beforehand, you won't believe it!!!!

We call it hogsback. Very good recommendation too. (:

BAD LS1
09-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Drag strip... Anything with a straight line, neither of my cars can turn. The Camaro would grind the mirrors and door handles off around a corner from body roll ( Read-no front sway bar), the Monte would just push like a mofo ( Read-Gay FWD)

PB86MCSS
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas! Might try the Holy Cross area...

Slow Joe
09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Holy Hill area is the place... I love it out there...

Poncho
09-14-2006, 12:36 PM
We call it hogsback. Very good recommendation too. (:

yeah this girl I was dating when I was in highschool let another guy that was unliscensed drive her car, we three were in the car, and of course, he slams into a retainer in a corner, totals her car, and sends us three to the empergency room.

that poor cavalier never stood a chance. ac/dc cds flying everywhere.

Karps TA
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Another good route is to start at Vilet and MLK drive and take that North up to like Auer. Then you can take Auer north, feel free to go thru any scenic alleys. Then go North on Fond Du Lac till you hit 45. Then you can Holy Hill.

84hurst
09-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Another good route is to start at Vilet and MLK drive and take that North up to like Auer. Then you can take Auer north, feel free to go thru any scenic alleys. Then go North on Fond Du Lac till you hit 45. Then you can Holy Hill.

I've taken that route! The G-bodys are very popular out there! :goof

Slow Joe
09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
yeah this girl I was dating when I was in highschool let another guy that was unliscensed drive her car, we three were in the car, and of course, he slams into a retainer in a corner, totals her car, and sends us three to the empergency room.

that poor cavalier never stood a chance. ac/dc cds flying everywhere.

Sounds like a guy I knew... Took his mom's Hyundai up there in the rain with his girlfriend and some friends, and man did he **** that thing up... Can't remember what he hit, all I remember is that it caused like 4500 of damage to an Elantra...

LEWETHETIGER73
09-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Woodward ave. in Michigan 3rd weekend in august. 2 MILLION PEOPLE,
50,000 CARS ALL cruising along 16 miles of cruising:headbang :headbang
Check out the site!
http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

I wait for the cruise every year. Had my honeymoon out there in fact!

Want_Notch
09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
76th and Mill........good scenery

PB86MCSS
09-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for more tips, the 76th & Mill road and MLK/Vliet ones especially. I will have to check them out, possibly today but I think those would be even more enjoyable around 12:00 Midnight on a Friday or Saturday night with a confederate flag draped over my roof or hood ;).

PB86MCSS
09-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I decided against the MLK and Vilet path and took Holy Hill to 83 and south instead. Also checked out Hogsback too...pretty neat! Good cruise today, thanks for the tips.