PDA

View Full Version : 96 GT Troubles

BrandoGT
09-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi everbody,

I own a 96 gt with a 5 spd. It has been having a few issues lately, when I give it some gas and the RPM's are below 1500 rpm, it is pretty jerky as if it is not firing on all cylinders. If I am light on the throttle, it is fine and doesn't jerk at all. Also when I accelerate under full throttle, it is has a little jerk here and there, but it isn't as pronounced. It feels as if it just hesistates a little bit. Every once in a while the car will throw an engine code that says that bank 1 is running too rich. Could the fact that it is running rich be the problem to the cars jerking and hesistation or do you guys think it is something else?

68RR440
09-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Sell it and buy a Mopar or even a GM, that should fix the problem. :goof

Joking, welcome to the board! :thumbsup

theavenger333
09-08-2006, 07:50 PM
start at the easiest stuff, and cheapest.... tuneup

Reverend Cooper
09-08-2006, 11:05 PM
to rich can sometimes mean its actually to lean and the o2 sensor is running full rich to compensate for the lean condition. pull the plugs in bank 1 and inspect them,see if you can narrow it down to a single cylinder issue first after that it will be a easier diagnosis

BrandoGT
09-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Alright I will take a look at the spark plugs. I was thinking about doing a tune up soon anyways, because I just recently bough the car and I don't know how many miles are on the plugs and wires.

68RR440
I had a Dodge Daytona V6 so the mustang was deffinatly astep up. Granted if it was a turbo 4 I would have hung on to that.

Cryptic
09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't know how many miles are on the plugs and wires.

If you dont know... probably 10 years worth...
Do the plugs, wires, and 02 sensor(s). If anything you'll get 1 or 2 (or maybe more) mpg

BrandoGT
09-10-2006, 11:20 AM
haha 10 years, thats what I am worried about. I plan on picking the stuff up this week and seeing what happens. I hope that all it needs is just a tune up.

Stangman98
09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Here are the things to look at on that car...
Plugs...replace with autolite AP764 for Platinum or just Autolite 764 Non Plat
Coil Packs...Make sure the connector on the back of them is not broken or cracked
Fuel Filter...change it
One of the biggest things to do also is clean the MAF on it. CRC makes a Mass Air Flow Sensors cleaner, get that or another electronic cleaner and clean the MAF. A dirty MAF on that car will cause big issues.

BrandoGT
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Thank you for all the helpful Advice I will do the the fuel filter for sure, because im sure that has been on as long as the plugs and wires so it could be 10 years old as well. I will have to check the MAF as well.

Reverend Cooper
09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
then why ask whats to do on other sites do that then see

BrandoGT
09-11-2006, 09:24 PM
then why ask whats to do on other sites do that then see

what do you mean?

Reverend Cooper
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
thought you were asking around on other sites also sorry my bad

BrandoGT
09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
oh sorry, yeah I did ask elsewhere as well but it was at the same time. I wanted to draw a general consensus on what everyone thinks. so I did ask the problem on modularfords as well but I didnt know what kind of responses i would get. I geuss I was using the technique of "the more resources, the better" Sorry if that annoyed you in any way.

Reverend Cooper
09-13-2006, 12:05 PM
no not at all just try what was said here first these guys are f'n smart

BrandoGT
09-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah they do seem very knowledgable here, I actaully found this site after modular fords but I am happy There is a lot of people that are throwing out advice to help me to troubleshoot my problem. This is deffinatly an awesome forum, from what I have seen so far.

Want_Notch
09-13-2006, 05:58 PM
me not so smart

Reverend Cooper
09-13-2006, 07:04 PM
me not so smart
its ok the short bus has served you well

BrandoGT
09-13-2006, 09:31 PM
me not so smart

haha, thanks at least I'm learning, right? I am just a dumb college student

BrandoGT
09-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, I just threw in new spark plugs, wires, and coils. Let me just say it is running very well now. Some of the spark plugs looked really nasty, as if they have been in there for a while. Needless to say big difference, now I can see if there is any fuel economy change when I fill up next. I am going to change the fuel filter and other stuff as well next weekend when I return home from college for the weekend. Thanks for the Help Guys.