PDA

View Full Version : Local union HVAC guys

Korndogg
09-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Ok i know some of you are union but has anyone been through or is in the steamfitters 601?? I forgot. I lost my damn sheet and was wondering what the pay scale is from year to year.

penji04
09-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Im in the process of getting in right now and you start off at about $10 /hour as a pre-apprentice, max pay as a journeymen is about $32/hr. You have insurance the whole time but you do have to pay for MATC and books . Total time can be up to six years to be a journeymen. Hope this helps.

Korndogg
09-08-2006, 01:39 AM
yeah i knew about the minimum and maximum pay...was just curious about the yearly pay in between because it goes up every year... thanks for helping though!

are you going for fitting or refrigeration?? Ive been on the steamfitting list for about a little over a half a year now. Im #5 at the moment as of 2 weeks ago.

Korndogg
09-08-2006, 01:45 AM
oh and one more thing which kind of sucks. I already have my associate's degree from MATC for HVAC/R and I have to do all the schooling over again through the union because they wont accept my degree.....But at least I have most of the books already.

awsomeears
09-08-2006, 03:29 AM
I have to do all the schooling over again through the union because they wont accept my degree.....

I'm in the same boat, this sucks :mad:

Ohhh well :)

Anakonda69
09-08-2006, 11:11 PM
i just got into the local 183 sprinkler fitters...woohoo

Lash
09-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Local 18 is where it's at. :D

Pay usually goes up in percentages. it's a percentage of what journeyman pay is.

Usually starts at around 40%, then works it way up around 10% per year. But this is comming from a tinner.....I dont know what you crazy fitters do. 601 is a different set-up. Local 18 starts around $13.4x for a 1st year....not sure what 601 is.

Lash
09-09-2006, 09:20 PM
oh and one more thing which kind of sucks. I already have my associate's degree from MATC for HVAC/R and I have to do all the schooling over again through the union because they wont accept my degree.....But at least I have most of the books already.

I will guarantee that the stuff you'll learn will be totally different from the stuff you already learned.

Have you learned how to pipe up boilers and chillers? How about setting up a VAV system...or bigger Air handler systems (no...not little 2 ton systems)? Do you know how to weld?

I think there's gonna be a lot more to it than you think. ;)

601 does a lot of bigger stuff. There really aren't that many guys that pipe up furnaces and condensing units. That's mostly service now days. 601 breeds the guys that work on power plants. :)

Have you been placed at a company yet?

Korndogg
09-09-2006, 09:32 PM
actually we did do alot of stuff on big commercial things. Pretty much a whole year on it. Studied chillers for a semester and boilers. They also taught us VAV systems and also controls. And also we did alot on the big systems like downtown. We went on field trips to the federal building, bradley center, petit center, and also harley. I do know how to weld.

I know there is more stuff to learn but I just think that if i already did learn something I should be exempt from having to take the class again or i could even be able to test out of it.

no i havent been placed yet. still on the waiting list.

Lash
09-09-2006, 09:49 PM
actually we did do a lot of stuff on big commercial things. Pretty much a whole year on it. Studied chillers for a semester and boilers. They also taught us VAV systems and also controls. And also we did a lot on the big systems like downtown. We went on field trips to the federal building, Bradley center, petit center, and also harley. I do know how to weld.

I know there is more stuff to learn but I just think that if i already did learn something I should be exempt from having to take the class again or i could even be able to test out of it.

no i havent been placed yet. still on the waiting list.

I'm really surprised that you haven't been placed yet. I've been working with a fitter that is one of the union officials (or whatever...not really sure). After you told me that you weren't placed the last time I asked him if the hall was slow/packed (usually if the hall is slow and packed with people...the longer the wait will be for apprentices to be placed). He said no so I told him that you had been on the list a few months and hadn't been placed yet. He was also kinda surprised that you hadn't been placed yet. With all these power houses rolling now...it wont be long before they start hiring out of state workers because there aren't any more workers left here.

Korndogg
09-09-2006, 10:33 PM
yeah well this is what happened. i started at 9..went to 6...went back down to 10...now as of couple weeks ago im at 5....

wish there was a quicker way to find out where i am on the list rather than mailing a request and waiting a fuggin week.

Lash
09-10-2006, 11:41 AM
yeah well this is what happened. i started at 9..went to 6...went back down to 10...now as of couple weeks ago im at 5....

wish there was a quicker way to find out where i am on the list rather than mailing a request and waiting a fuggin week.

Isn't there an apprenticeship coordinator that you can call?

Theres got to be somebody that runs the apprenticeship that you can talk to over the phone.

If the fittier I'm working with is still on the job in a week (no going back to work til then) I'll talk to him for ya.

Korndogg
09-10-2006, 12:01 PM
thanks man. And no, i tried calling once and they shot me down and told me I have to send a request in...pretty flippin stupid if you ask me.