PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile hunter is dead?!

animal
09-04-2006, 01:31 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_en_tv/obit_irwin

Not that it exactly surprises me any. As far as I'm concerned it was only a matter of time for that guy. Who'd have thought with all the snakes and crocs that guy f**ked with, it was a stingray that got 'im.

He was a cool guy though. I wonder how exactly it happened? :(

wikked
09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
wow... that is f'd up :wow

subliminal1284
09-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Yup just saw that...

Brandon W.
09-04-2006, 02:13 AM
i was just about to post this story..and even though people made fun of him and everything, he was such a great person.he did alot for the Environment and Animals. he definently earned my respect!!!!! he had a Kid also which is sad because now the Kid has to grow up without a dad.this is a very sad story.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm

pOrk
09-04-2006, 02:24 AM
i was just about to post this story..and even though people made fun of him and everything, he was such a great person.he did alot for the Environment and Animals. he definently earned my respect!!!!! he had a Kid also which is sad because now the Kid has to grow up without a dad.this is a very sad story.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm

He had TWO kids, an 8 year old daughter and an almost 3 year old boy

GTSLOW
09-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Wow cant believe he's gone.

Brandon W.
09-04-2006, 02:30 AM
He had TWO kids, an 8 year old daughter and an almost 3 year old boy

that makes it even worse.....wow poor kids..growing up with no dad sucks..trust me.

Korndogg
09-04-2006, 02:49 AM
has anyone seen anything on the news about it?? You would think it would be all over the news at some point or another but I havent seen one thing.

Poncho
09-04-2006, 03:01 AM
Crickey!!!

guess Paul Hogan is back to being the representative of being the "auzzie doofus"

that being said, my prayers go out to his family, but shit he must have had one hell of a life insurance policy.

Teufelhunden
09-04-2006, 08:06 AM
It was only a matter of time. Poor kids, I hope they weren't there to see go down. Sting Ray barb thru the heart...OUCH!!

Silver350
09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_en_tv/obit_irwin

Not that it exactly surprises me any. As far as I'm concerned it was only a matter of time for that guy. Who'd have thought with all the snakes and crocs that guy f**ked with, it was a stingray that got 'im.

He was a cool guy though. I wonder how exactly it happened? :(

I the article it says

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

animal
09-04-2006, 10:10 AM
I the article it says

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

I know that, but why? Was he f**king with it or did it just randomly fly up and stab?

GRAMPS SS
09-04-2006, 10:33 AM
you know the guy did some crazy shit and that made him famous and all the work he did for the zoo foundation.....i heard thet he gave alot of cash from his shows to the zoo...as far as insurence...do you think someone would give him a policy.....certain professions don't get life insurence.....so maybe he didn't have any...that would realy suck for the family....but i'm sure all our prayers go out to his family..............

wikked
09-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm sure he had plenty of $... having your own tv show for years, not to mention all the appearances he's done on talk shows over the years, also was in Dr. Doolittle 2, etc. etc.
It's true though, check his IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0410455/

BadAzzGTA89
09-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I know that, but why? Was he f**king with it or did it just randomly fly up and stab?
They were filming off the Great Barrier Reef!

Lash
09-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm surprised....

that it didn't happen sooner.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Same here ^^^

SlowStee
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
shit!!!!:wow

Slow Joe
09-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Damn, that's rough...

Anakonda69
09-04-2006, 01:48 PM
that sucks...he was a good guy....prayers go out to his family

HITMAN
09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm surprised....

that it didn't happen sooner.

+2
The thing that gets me is, that with all of the truly dangerous animals he has been close to, it's a fluke encounter with a stingray (of all things) that gets him. All I can say is that it must have been one helluva big stingray to be able to pierce a chest cavity AND reach far enough in to be able to cause a fatal gash to the heart.

I liked him. While I didn't search his show out, if I happened to stumble across it while channel surfing, I would watch. He was a pretty amusing guy, and his show was always interesting. Bummer.:(

84hurst
09-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Not too suprised, in that line of work, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Too bad his kids have to grow up without a dad, but maybe he shoulda quit while he was ahead and taken care of his family instead. I'm not cryin over it.

Korndogg
09-04-2006, 03:47 PM
it must have been one helluva big stingray to be able to pierce a chest cavity AND reach far enough in to be able to cause a fatal gash to the heart.

yah but dont stingrays have some sort of poison on their tails also what when they sting it makes it even worse?? Maybe it wasnt the tail that killed him but it cut him too close to his heart and the poison is what killed him?? i dunno.

anyway, ill tell ya. When I went diving in Cancun a couple years ago I had a stingray come up from behind me when i was 50ft down and it scared the hell outa me. Thing was huge.

MurphysLaw88GT
09-04-2006, 05:00 PM
too bad...............

hrsp
09-04-2006, 08:41 PM
that really sucks...been watching him for YEARS...

Goat Roper
09-04-2006, 08:49 PM
I cannot help but think of the South Park spoof, where Cartman's line was (with Australian accent. "Now, i am going to shove my thumb up it's butt.....oh, THAT really pissed it off!"

HITMAN
09-05-2006, 01:07 AM
yah but dont stingrays have some sort of poison on their tails also what when they sting it makes it even worse?? Maybe it wasnt the tail that killed him but it cut him too close to his heart and the poison is what killed him?? i dunno.

anyway, ill tell ya. When I went diving in Cancun a couple years ago I had a stingray come up from behind me when i was 50ft down and it scared the hell outa me. Thing was huge.

I read up a little more on this and the article said he was snorkeling in shallow water and inadvertently swan over the top of this ray. The ray freaked and hit him in the chest with it's stinger and punctured his heart. They got him back to his boat right away, but he was already dead.

Man, that is one fluky way to die, especially for a guy that fvcked with so much REALLY dangerous wildlife. You could see it if it was a crocodile that got him, or one of the many poisonous snakes or spiders he was alway messing with, but a stingray? Rays are actually pretty docile unless you accidentally step on one. Freaky...

SlowStee
09-05-2006, 01:17 AM
here's a good Read :stare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-tail_stingray

Its length is up to 430 cm (14 ft), and it is reputed to be the largest stingray in the world, weighing more than 350 kg (771 lbs).

Even being stung is generally a minor injury and fewer than twenty people have ever been killed by a stingray in modern history

:stare

hrsp
09-05-2006, 01:23 AM
yup i'll stay on dry land :)

GRAMPS SS
09-05-2006, 08:32 AM
watched the news this morning and they say they have the whole thing on tape...they said ...he pulled the tail out and then died.......lets hope they don't play that...thats all the family needs to see, but it may also give them closer............

Goat Roper
09-05-2006, 09:28 AM
watched the news this morning and they say they have the whole thing on tape...they said ...he pulled the tail out and then died.......lets hope they don't play that...thats all the family needs to see, but it may also give them closer............

That is what the family wants

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/crocodile%20hunter%20death%20to%20be%20broadcast_1 007314

LATEST: The footage of late Australian naturalist STEVE IRWIN being killed by a stingray could be shown on TV. Charismatic Irwin, dubbed the Crocodile Hunter after his internationally acclaimed TV show, died yesterday (04SEP06) while diving on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Irwin was filming for a new documentary when he lost his life, and his cameraman shot the moment when the stingray's barbed tail stabbed the legendary conservationist through the heart. The tapes are currently being held by Queensland police - but Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. "Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me." An insider tells British newspaper the Daily Star, "This is exactly what Steve would have wanted. He knew the dangers and was totally up for the cameras to get everything."

VroomPshhTsi
09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
they showed an episode of the trip he was on today on animal planet, part two is on tonight at 5 pm (they didn't show anything special, just a picture of him at the end of the show with his age and a quote of his).

Silver350
09-05-2006, 03:02 PM
That site also has a report that Steve did not pull the sting rays barb from his chess was a mis quote.

The manager of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin has denounced as "absolute rubbish" reports that Irwin pulled a stingray's barb out of his chest before lapsing into unconsciousness and dying. John Stainton told CNN that the reports, which quoted him, were based on "rumors." Nevertheless, he acknowledged that the attack, which occurred in the water at Batt Reef, off the Australian coast north of Cairns, was caught on camera. Stainton further denied reports that he had watched the tape, saying he couldn't bear to do so. The tape is currently in the hands of Australian authorities.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/manager%20of%20crocodile%20hunter%20says%20he%20wa s%20misquoted_1007341

Brandon W.
09-05-2006, 06:38 PM
i think that if His Family wants it and He really would of wanted it to be played, then i think they should play it. and i think they will end up playing it, they will just make it a Viewer Discretion episode.

GTSLOW
09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Has anyone seen the video?

Al
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I wonder if his son will follow in his footsteps?

Brandon W.
09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I wonder if his son will follow in his footsteps?

oh im sure he will..im sure his Son and Daughter will follow in his foot steps.Steve will live through the kids.

Flicktitty
09-05-2006, 09:19 PM
:crying RIP :crying

Yooformula
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
so anyone had a vid yet?

Cryptic
09-05-2006, 10:13 PM
I've search my usual sources... nothing yet.

GTSLOW
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Everyone talks about "seeing it" (other sources) but dont have any links to where they've seen it. :wtf

68RR440
09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Heres a good, recent story on the tape...

http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/feeds/ap/2006/09/05/ap2995156.html

I think some people are taking this guys death a little too close to heart, Brandon has him as an avatar, etc...
The guy chased dangerous animals around for how long? Every animal he chased had to go on the defensive because of this deranged maniac, which is sad, as these are wild animals, not some domesticated pets who are used to human contact. He emotionally scared all the animals he tormented, if you ask me, but you didn't, so nevermind.

HITMAN
09-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Heres a good, recent story on the tape...

http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/feeds/ap/2006/09/05/ap2995156.html

I think some people are taking this guys death a little too close to heart, Brandon has him as an avatar, etc...
The guy chased dangerous animals around for how long? Every animal he chased had to go on the defensive because of this deranged maniac, which is sad, as these are wild animals, not some domesticated pets who are used to human contact. He emotionally scared all the animals he tormented, if you ask me, but you didn't, so nevermind.

Emotionally scarred? Tormented? Please don't tell me you're some kind of PETA sympathizer... NOOOOOOOOOOO....:wow

68RR440
09-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Emotionally scarred? Tormented? Please don't tell me you're some kind of PETA sympathizer... NOOOOOOOOOOO....:wow
No way, I guess my point was he should have been dead long ago, he was stupid, in my opinion, for constantly pushing the limits with these wild animals. I think its redicolous this guy is being hailed as a hero, when real heros die every day, and nobody as much bats an eye. Or did I even have a point, I forgot.

Brandon W.
09-05-2006, 11:26 PM

hahaha..nah i wont keep it long..i watched him alot as a kid and young teen..it is just very sad..he did alot of good things so for that ill give him a week or so as my Avatar with the <--- a great man...i dont think im taking it to personally..just giving respect where respect is due..id do the same for alot of people. and i could say the same about you and Dale Gribal i mean "rusty Shackelford" see what im saying

68RR440
09-05-2006, 11:35 PM
and i could say the same about you and Dale Gribal i mean "rusty Shackelford" see what im saying

Huh? How could you say the same? My avatar has been my avatar for a while, I didn't all of a sudden throw it up there because he died, I ride with what I like 24/7, not just when they become the "in" topic. Thats just my opinion, I'm not trying to turn this guys death into a pissing match.

Brandon W.
09-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Thats just my opinion, I'm not trying to turn this guys death into a pissing match.

and thanks for sharing it..like i said i wont have it long. a week at most.now lets stop fightin and watch the bannana.

:banana1: :banana1:

Al
09-05-2006, 11:42 PM
oh im sure he will..im sure his Son and Daughter will follow in his foot steps.Steve will live through the kids.
If I ever have kids, I think it would be cool for them to see the next generation of Irwins. I'm going to assume that they won't be as extreme.

What make Steve different was that he approached environmental conservation in a manner never seen before. His predecessor, Jack Hannah, was very influential, but might not have been as successful if he aired 25 years later.

Steve was right on. Also, you most likely would not see him at a PETA rally. His method surely reached more people and in a much better way. I learned alot from him and think the world is better for what he did.

Brandon W.
09-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Steve was right on. Also, you most likely would not see him at a PETA rally. His method surely reached more people and in a much better way. I learned alot from him and think the world is better for what he did.

Exactly what i was saying..he did alot of good things..helped spread the word for conservation,was his best "message" as you could say.+1 to Al and Adam

68RR440
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
:banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

Yooformula
09-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Huh? How could you say the same? My avatar has been my avatar for a while, I didn't all of a sudden throw it up there because he died,

HUH!?!?! You didnt have that avatar 2 days ago? I must have missed a funny there somewhere:durr

68RR440
09-06-2006, 12:03 AM
I had Dale Gribble from King of the Hill up there, but I had to change it a few minutes ago, sorry for the confusion.

Yooformula
09-06-2006, 12:04 AM
ahhhhhhhh