PDA

View Full Version : Back from Colorado

Rocket Power
09-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Well I am back from Colorado and now my ebay 64 Cutlass is home safe.

A HUGE thanks to Memphis for letting me use his trailer for the trip.

We took my friends Dually Pickup rather than mine since I didn't know if mine would like towing in OD and his is fine with it. Yahoo maps said around 18hrs but that doesn't figure in stops so it actually took us about 23hours to get there with a rest stop to take a nap and terrible storm in CO. I actually called back here to have my mom look on the internet to see if there were tornado warnings where we were . The odd thing in Iowa and some of nebraska was that mid grade was cheaper than 87 because of it being 10% ethenol. The cheapest gas I got was 2.39/gal for mid grade. Colorado actually was higher in a lot of places than here, but it was all small towns I bought it in. I probably spent about $500-600 in gas. But being that 64's in good shape are hard to find at any price I figure it's worth it.

Another lesson learned is just because it's a small town doesn't mean there won't be problems getting hotel rooms:goof
I didn't make reservations so we ended up driving to Pueblo about an hour away and staying in a not so great part of town because of a race and fair in the area. Sometime between us cheacking in @1am and leaving at 7 am a brand new buick got graffitied at a dealership a block away. The part of CO that we saw was mostly big ranches with little towns every 60-100 miles. So I didn't let the gas get below 1/2 tank since I didn't know when I'd get some next.
You would not believe all the old 50's and 60's pickups I saw just sitting in peoples yards that look better than most 80's pickups around here.

Here's a few pics before i go to bed.
And don't be getting all jealous of my 14" aluminum slots either. I hauled those all the way out there just to be cool on the ride home:rolf
http://usera.imagecave.com/vista461/64cutlass/64-1.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/vista461/64cutlass/64-2.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/vista461/64cutlass/64-3.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/vista461/64cutlass/Iowagas.jpg

BadAzzGTA89
09-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Looks good does it run??

Rocket Power
09-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Not yet. I still need to put my drivetrain and carpet/seats in it. It's getting my 455. Haven't decided on a trans yet. It'll be out in spring.

I love 64's:banana1:

Lash
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Congrats on picking it up!

Make sure you tighten the lugs on those wheels about every week...lol. I have some good personal experience stories about those same rims. :)

Rocket Power
09-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah I had them on my old Pontiac G-bod wagon and they started to get loose, but I caught it in time.:rolf

They were just on to help it roll and stay off the ground. I'll be putting something different on it before i start driving it.

PB86MCSS
09-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Very nice. Glad you made it there and back ok. Always a fun trip out west...the rust free older cars are awesome :D.

Lash
09-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah I had them on my old Pontiac G-bod wagon and they started to get loose, but I caught it in time.:rolf

Well.....if you consider 2 out of 5 lug nuts still on....then I caught mine in time too.

:D

It was actually kinda scary :stare The 2 that were still on were about 3 seconds from coming off.

HITMAN
09-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Nice find. :shades
Colorado is a great place, and the climate is so arid that cars just don't rust. But the climate is also hell on paint and interiors. Between the lack of humidity and the UV rays, finishes and fabrics turn to shit.

BTW: You might want to try and get that paint shiny. You wouldn't want that asshole Hitman to call your car a rat...:goof

RanJer
09-04-2006, 12:01 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/vista461/64cutlass/Iowagas.jpg
Very nice find, but I'm confused... Mid-grade cheaper than regular??

Slow Joe
09-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Good find... Sounds like an interesting ride!!

And everytime my girlfriend and I go visit her parents in Wautoma we see Regular and Mid-Grade at the gas station in town for the same price, every time.

88Nightmare
09-04-2006, 09:55 AM
regular is reformulated with ethanol so they charge you for that.

Rocket Power
09-04-2006, 11:54 AM
BTW: You might want to try and get that paint shiny. You wouldn't want that asshole Hitman to call your car a rat...:goof
SOme one previous to the guy I got it from did a light sanding, I think they were going to repaint it. I am going to try to bring it back till I repaint it. My wife likes this color combo, I was originally going to go with Gold with white like my first 64 or repaint it the original "Regal Mist" which is a maroon color kinda like my wagon.

Besides I only own rats:goof If it was too nice I'd be afraid to drive it:rolf

Rocket Power
09-04-2006, 11:56 AM
regular is reformulated with ethanol so they charge you for that.
Actually it was the mid grade with the 10% ethanol must be subsidised or something. Every staion we stopped at in Iowa had mid grade cheaper than reguler and a lot of them in Nebraska too.

Rocket Power
09-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Very nice. Glad you made it there and back ok. Always a fun trip out west...the rust free older cars are awesome :D.
Thanks
CO was awesome for scenery, even though we stayed east of the rockies. We were around 4000ft most of the time according to the little town signs.
I'd hate to run out of gas out there though. You'd be walking forever. and I saw what looked like a half a rattle snake dead in the road with the rattle end gone. Needless to say , I didn't pull over along the side of the road to take a pee:rolf
The storm down around La Junta was crazy though with it being so open the whole sky lit up with the lightning and the rain was going sideways with the winds. It was both really cool and kinda scary. But mostly cool:thumbsup

Memphis
09-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Glad the trailer worked out well. Lemme know if you need a hand getting the thing on the road...its ALOT closer than getting my GTO going!

Rocket Power
09-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Glad the trailer worked out well. Lemme know if you need a hand getting the thing on the road...its ALOT closer than getting my GTO going!
Will do and thanks again:thumbsup

Rocket Power
09-04-2006, 04:18 PM
:rolf :rolf :rolf
I just saw the other thread

DirtyMax
09-04-2006, 05:49 PM
From the looks of it, you stole that car. Nice find! :thumbsup