PDA

View Full Version : Couple small Q's

GRM-REPR
09-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I aquired my younger brother's 75' Bird, (black with a silver stripe). I just put in a new MSD mechanical dizzy (the other was literally rusted, the cap electrodes looked like pure green corrosion). I was wondering what the timing should be set to. It's still got the springs in it from the factory default.

Also, the #6 cylinder header tube keeps melting boots. Are those header plugs that Accel makes my next move?? I JUST put Accel Spiral Core wires on and it didnt take long to melt that damn boot.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Jon......

P.S....Glad to be back in a classic car again......goodbye 87 Mustang:devil

UnderPSI
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
C&S has heat sleaves in stock that you can put over the boot. They should be able to lay right on the exhaust then. 262-781-0469 I think???

mr. meaner
09-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I aquired my younger brother's 75' Bird, (black with a silver stripe). I just put in a new MSD mechanical dizzy (the other was literally rusted, the cap electrodes looked like pure green corrosion). I was wondering what the timing should be set to. It's still got the springs in it from the factory default.

Try 10 degrees BTDC and go from there. It may like a bit more, like 2 degrees. Take 'er out for a spin, stomp on it and see if she rattles. If she does, back 'er off two degrees and retest.

GRM-REPR
09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guy's.

Problem is, the boot is so damn close already, I had it so it was literally a hair off the header tube, it ended up going against it anyways and melted. If I get those Pro Sleeves, I dont think I'd be able to fit them over the boot. Thats why I was thinking about those header plugs. I've personally never needed to use them so I dont know much about them.

Nix
09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
When I had the wires on it only the one time did it melt. I adjusted it accordingly and it never did it again Jon. I dont remember how I had it where it didnt get that damn hot to melt it though. Its a pretty crummy design:mad:

Prince Valiant
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
If I get those Pro Sleeves, I dont think I'd be able to fit them over the boot. They should fit just fine, they are rather thin...are you using angled boots now? If not, that may work a bit better.