PDA

View Full Version : BCM Kings of Photography II

Cleveland Dave
09-02-2006, 11:13 PM
we have quite a few talented photographers on this site and I think it would be fun to have another contest for fun.

Due Date can be set for Oct. 15th
should give people plenty of time.

Themes
1. Sports
2. Night Time
3. Water

Everyone should try and get new pics for this and submit them to my email address by oct.14th at midnight.

camaross4027@gmail.com

Cryptic
09-02-2006, 11:30 PM
ohh I'm in on this one :banana1: I got some ready for these already

Could I ask for some rule clarifications on:

Are Photoshop'd images allowed?
Full frame images only (not cropped)?

My thoughts were that everything should come from the camera.

Cleveland Dave
09-03-2006, 10:57 AM
what about like basic stuff?

white balance
contrast / brightness
saturation
USM
resize

i dont know im up for any input.

Silver350
09-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I think this is a good idea to do another shoot. I should have a lot more time coming up. August was a pretty crappy month for me. I didn't have that much time or ambishion to take photos. I think If we do another one for next month someone else should run the contest aka recieve the pictures and host them. That way one person isnt doing it all the time or is dealing with the hassle of getting people to submit their photos.

Also we should set a particular size requirement on the photo's I dont know how my photos looked to you but on my 19" monitor they were f*cking huge, When john posted them on the site.

Maybe change the contest from being three subjects to 1 or two. That way we would have something different for next month.

Those are my suggestions.

Cleveland Dave
09-03-2006, 01:58 PM
im sure we wont run out of ideas...theres weekly ones on fredmiranda.com so we could get some ideas from there.

ill volunteer to use my email acct and hosting this time.

and how about 800x800 max

Cryptic
09-03-2006, 04:44 PM
There was a picture in the last contest that was +15 red and -14 green. Not everyone has access to those tools, plus it's not the real scene that was captured.

Slight corrections I think is ok.

0TransAm0
09-03-2006, 06:09 PM
^^^ really SLIGHT corrections maybe hell i would have it just do what the camera can and your SKILL not putting it on the pc and makeing a bunch of changes.. just my .02

johnny--2k
09-04-2006, 04:17 PM
im sure we wont run out of ideas...theres weekly ones on fredmiranda.com so we could get some ideas from there.

ill volunteer to use my email acct and hosting this time.

and how about 800x800 max

I think 900x600 is a bit more proportional to say a 3x5 or 4x6. I haven't seen a perfectly square picture in a while.

Cleveland Dave
09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
im not saying it has to be 800x800 just keep it under that.

johnny--2k
09-04-2006, 06:50 PM
thats cool. I start classes, but if I have time, I'll submit some.

jbiscuit
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
There was a picture in the last contest that was +15 red and -14 green. Not everyone has access to those tools, plus it's not the real scene that was captured.

Slight corrections I think is ok.

I know you are commenting on my architectural shot and I would like to point out yet again that you have NO idea what you are talking about. That shot was taken with a custom white balance and shot during the setting sun to achieve the red hues. The only post processing that was done was a saturation bump (for the web) and some unsharp mask. You are so quick to lash out on me time and time again yet I think its hilarious that you are off base with your comments. Grow up.

Oh and nice bridge tower photo for your architectural submission.

J

946speedz
09-10-2006, 04:54 PM
where the pics at guys?

Cryptic
09-11-2006, 02:14 PM
I know you are commenting on my architectural shot and I would like to point out yet again that you have NO idea what you are talking about. That shot was taken with a custom white balance and shot during the setting sun to achieve the red hues. The only post processing that was done was a saturation bump (for the web) and some unsharp mask. You are so quick to lash out on me time and time again yet I think its hilarious that you are off base with your comments. Grow up.

Oh and nice bridge tower photo for your architectural submission.

J

It wasn't intended to be a shot at you. I just opened up the EXIF data and saw Adobe Photoshop CS2 (Macintosh)... So if you actually did those values from that camera and not adjusted in post from a RAW file, props to you!

Not everyone knows how too or has the software to do it. No one said before whether it was fair or not in the last competition, so no blood no foul.

As far as I am concerned... I'm not in a pissing match with you. You more than likely are a better photographer than I. You dedicate alot of time to it. I like every shot you share. I've asked you to even post them in the BCM gallery.

Anyways, looking forward to round 2. I think I got good ones for ya.

Ohh and you should remember that photo,... you where there
FTW: a photo of Yellow Wagon taking a photo
http://www.crypticvault.com/albums/bcm_photo_contest/IMG_2227.sized.jpg

jbiscuit
09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
It wasn't intended to be a shot at you. I just opened up the EXIF data and saw Adobe Photoshop CS2 (Macintosh)... So if you actually did those values from that camera and not adjusted in post from a RAW file, props to you!

Not everyone knows how too or has the software to do it. No one said before whether it was fair or not in the last competition, so no blood no foul.

As far as I am concerned... I'm not in a pissing match with you. You more than likely are a better photographer than I. You dedicate alot of time to it. I like every shot you share. I've asked you to even post them in the BCM gallery.

Anyways, looking forward to round 2. I think I got good ones for ya.

I'm not in a pissing match either. I just HATE when I read things about people stating a photo was manipulated in PS when the only thing PS was used for was the save the color and sharpness when downsampled for the internet. It sucks. I got lucky on my architectural shot anyways...I was messing around with doing custom white balances and was trying to get the most reds I could since that is what I wanted for the shot....I have 20 shots from that same spot/angle to achieve those results.

Also, I highly doubt I will be participating in round 2. I just don't have the time right now. I will try though.

Cleveland Dave
09-21-2006, 12:30 AM
bump....coming up in just over a week.

Cleveland Dave
09-24-2006, 11:12 AM
so is anybody going to submit pics this month...do we need an extension? i still havent taken my pics yet...lol

pOrk
09-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm gonna try to submit a few, but I keep forgetting the categorys. I wrote them down this time through, so I will try and get some shot today :-)

SMS 1
09-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Just for the record though guys almost everyone got some kind of editing program with thier cameras. Hell just about anything Cryptic, Yellow Wagon, or my self would do to an image could probably be done with PS Elements which is practically a give away freeware program.

Now I am not defending what I like to call "Image Artists" but some level of post processing is key to truly stunning finished works (somehow I feel like someone will flame me for that one and I'll have to further explain it later :( ). However you miss the exposure by a mile, or bif the composition something feirce, or totally miss the focus NO amuont of post is going to miraculously turn it into a great photo.

Just my .02$, as you notice I have not participated in any of these contests ;)

There have been some great shots posted here though and looking forward to browsing more when I get time:popcorn

jbiscuit
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
as you notice I have not participated in any of these contests ;)

be glad you didn't participate....its more headache than its worth :rolf Coming on to defend the bashing that people do is not my idea of a fun photo contest.:goof :chair:

SMS 1
09-27-2006, 10:18 AM
be glad you didn't participate....its more headache than its worth :rolf Coming on to defend the bashing that people do is not my idea of a fun photo contest.:goof :chair:

Ya thats just one of the reasons ;)

BTW, cool archi shot in the last one :thumbsup

Cleveland Dave
09-28-2006, 12:14 AM
how about it not be a contest and just something to take pics of? i like to see everyones stuff...and its not like anybody really cares who the winner is

Cleveland Dave
09-28-2006, 05:20 AM
and i need to extend the due date just a bit...oct.15th

Silver350
09-28-2006, 07:10 AM
I dont know if I will get my photos done. My school work is taking up way too much time then I thought it would so I dont know if I will be able to par-take in this one.

jbiscuit
09-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Ya thats just one of the reasons ;)

BTW, cool archi shot in the last one :thumbsup

THANKS!:thumbsup

Cryptic
09-28-2006, 02:27 PM

would you get off your cloud already...

jbiscuit
09-28-2006, 02:41 PM
it was a joke, calm down.

Cleveland Dave
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
anybody submitting pics?

Silver350
10-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Im not. I didnt get around to it never even got the chance to get the camera out

GRAMPS SS
10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
i would love too ...but for me to shoot ,then process the film, proof it and have it put on disc...would be too much then it would be worth...i don't shoot digital, so it would be time comsuming and a headach for me.....maybe down the road i'll do one

pOrk
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
^ If you want to submit any, your more then welcome to stop over and use my scanner ;-)

Cryptic
10-09-2006, 09:55 PM
I just sent mine to ya Dave.

Cleveland Dave
10-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Im not. I didnt get around to it never even got the chance to get the camera out

i dont have all mine yet either but im gonna try and get them done by this weekend.

Cryptic
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
ohh thats fair... you get to see them before you take yours.. booooo :goof

Cleveland Dave
10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
haha its not like anyone will vote for mine anyway i know the competition im going against before hand anyway...i think next time ill just x the contest part of it and just have themes of the month or something like that.

Cryptic
10-10-2006, 03:43 PM
yeah... I enjoy seeing what people come up with too :thumbsup

Cryptic
10-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Come on... let's see some pics! Hurry up guys :goof

Cleveland Dave
10-11-2006, 10:07 AM
i have two submissions so far...

Cleveland Dave
10-15-2006, 11:22 PM
last chance?

Cryptic
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
i have two submissions so far...

weak sauce.

Cleveland Dave
10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
yeah im disapointed as well. i like to see everyones pics. ill post up the pics tonight...im going to sleep now ive already stayed up too long.

Cryptic
10-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Anyone else submit some pics to Dave? come on, plenty of you guys have cameras.

PureSound15
10-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I have a few I don't think are terrible, especially considering I have a canon A-250 and have no idea how to edit them. :headbang

Cryptic
10-18-2006, 08:32 AM
all mine are "as shot"

Cleveland Dave
10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
sorry for the delay ill get them up in the next 30 minutes.