PDA

View Full Version : Cool early photography and a question

CruxGNZ
09-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Check it out. Kind of neat to learn about. The Wonderful World of Early Photography. (http://www.neatorama.com/2006/08/29/the-wonderful-world-of-early-photography/)

I was always intrigued by the early photography of the Western times. I liked the detail, the depth and almost 3D feel to those pictures. How would I go about capturing a photo like that? What would I need?

jamest
09-03-2006, 04:29 PM
That article had different types of photography each with it's own requirements for equipment and supplies. What interested you the most from that article?

In general I would say you need to setup a darkroom to truely get the technique that was shown in those examples. You will need an enlarger, trays, running water, safe lights (red photo lights) chemicals and a lot of patience. To set up a darkroom isn't difficult it just can be expensive. You don't need that much space to set one up either. In college I would set it up in my bathroom if I needed to get something done really quick. Not the best idea but it got the job done.

I would be willing to help in providing information and resources if you truely want to get into alternative processes or traditional black and white photography. Just let me know. Also I would suggest finding a history of photography book to give you a better idea of what may or may not interest you.

Within that article it mentions the most expensive photograph by Edward Steichen. What it doesn't say is that he was born here in Milwaukee. Impress or bore your friends with that tidbit of history.:goof

Poncho
09-04-2006, 03:31 AM
that stuff is so amazingly cool.. thanks for the link. I learned something new. it's always so amazing to learn about the past and how things from the past like that lead to what we have now. instant digital photography.

GRAMPS SS
09-04-2006, 11:01 AM
weren't the negs on glass back then as well......and since glass, that helped give it the 3D look........

jamest
09-04-2006, 05:33 PM
You are correct that during a period of time glass plates were used as negatives. However glass was not what presented a 3d type of image. For the most part it was the printing and types of bases (gum base, gelatin base etc.) that was used on the photo papers. Tin was also used as a base to print images which provided a very unique 3d look. Therefore the 3d look that is referred to has more to do with the printing and the chemicals used on the paper than the actual negative.

CruxGNZ
09-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Therefore the 3d look that is referred to has more to do with the printing and the chemicals used on the paper than the actual negative.
Thanks for your informative replies. Can a photo with the 3D "look" still be replicated today?

Yooformula
09-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Cool stuff! I read the entire site about Eugene Sandow, very interesting.

jamest
09-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your informative replies. Can a photo with the 3D "look" still be replicated today?
Absolutely. However the photo will have to involve more than just technical but also composition, lighting, exposure etc. If you ever have a chance look at Ansel Adams work. He was a master black and white printer. A lot of his techinques and styles are still applied today with photography. With his work you will notice more of a 3d feel to it due to his excellence in printing along with other photographic techniques.

Poncho
09-05-2006, 04:52 PM
congrats james, you're the first new member in ages to start out w/ green rep.

jamest
09-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks I really didn't know about that rep stuff till you mentioned it and I clicked on the scale icon. Thanks to the guys who have left the positive comments. :)