PDA

View Full Version : Selling a classic car ? Is ebay safe?

DynoTom
08-31-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm going to be selling a classic car soon.

I have heard many scam stories about ebay and now I wonder if I should use ebay for my car?

The last big ticket item I sold on ebay a couple months ago went OK but, I did get some scammer trying to sell my item to the bidders I had.....

Would a private ebay auction be any safer?

I also seen craigslist but, I'm not sure how many people look for classic cars there and I know even less about their scam protection if any?

The reason I like ebay is that for the most part you know when you item will be sold, you don't have to sit around forever not knowing when it could sell?

RyanM
08-31-2006, 01:04 AM
Would a private ebay auction be any safer?

Doubt it. All private listings only hide the high bidder and previous bidders from being seen.

You can always try ebay and pull it if you dont like the results you are seeing.

Just say "seller reserves the right to refuse sale to any bidder for whatever reason, end the auction for whatever reason, etc"

twirkin50
08-31-2006, 06:08 AM
My buddy just sold his 1965 Mustang on ebay and got wayyyy more than he expected. Had no problems reaching the buyer and everything went very smooth. I sold my 2001 Cobra on ebay last week and also got way more than I figured I would get. Guy did his financing through ebay and showed up three days after the auction closed to pick up the car. I say give it a shot, you will probably get a better response on ebay than anywhere else.

68RR440
08-31-2006, 06:19 AM
As far as classic cars, nobody around here wants to spend any money, unless you have something real special that will attract out of state buyers, I'd say advertise elsewhere. I've had a fair amount of replies on the Road Runner through a recent craigslist ad, got a few guys coming out to take a look, Ebay was a dud for me, and a waste of money, all I got was a bunch of ridiculous trade offers. Last year I sold a 340 Cuda and a 65 fastback Mustang on Ebay, both buyers came up from Iowa, good money too, but the market has nosed dived, at least from what I see. Craigslist is the 7th most veiwed website on the internet, and its free, so I'd start there. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/parts53186/8a7d27b4.gif