PDA

View Full Version : any cheap mig welders around?

rally_scort
08-26-2006, 10:02 PM
im looking for a cheap mig welder just to do some simple exhaust welding and maybe some small sheetmetal work...anybody have any small cheap but working wire feed welders laying around???

Moparjim
08-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Did that one I had not work???

68RR440
08-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Jim, didn't 496WS6 buy yours?

Moparjim
08-27-2006, 02:30 AM
Maybe I am confused! I thought it was RallyScort!

rally_scort
08-27-2006, 07:35 AM
no jim, 496ws6 bought it....we got it to run wire but it wont weld just get...im guessin its the wire...it looked pretty corroded.Id like to get one for myself anyways so i know its avaliable all the time.

junk mx6 no rly
08-27-2006, 12:07 PM
no jim, 496ws6 bought it....we got it to run wire but it wont weld just get...im guessin its the wire...it looked pretty corroded.Id like to get one for myself anyways so i know its avaliable all the time.

oh im avaliable for the right price...lol yeah im ****en bored.:rolf

Moparjim
08-27-2006, 01:17 PM
That wire has been in there over 15 years probably, not sure if it gets "bad" or not but yeah you may want to try new wire. If it doesn't work for some reason just bring it back I will toss it in the lake and refund your cash if you want. I totally stand behind my junk for sale lol!

junk mx6 no rly
08-27-2006, 06:02 PM
i was wondering if it needs to have gas just to weld ?

Moparjim
08-27-2006, 06:04 PM
No idea, I think it should at least arc/melt wire without the gas, even if it doesn't weld very well without the gas.

Check the ground wire, etc it should at least melt the wire when fed.

Lash
08-27-2006, 06:10 PM
It should at least weld crappy without gas if it needs it. It'll be really pitted.

If you get flux core wire you dont need gas.

You also have to make sure the feeder is set up right. If it's been sitting around for a long time it may also need a new cables (ground and wire feed cable). Sometimes the get kinked and dont allow the wire to feed.

Corvette Jabo
08-27-2006, 08:30 PM
If the wire is oily, it is fux core and does not need gas and it will list it on the spool (I think flux core is kind of dull). If it need argon gas it will weld poopy without the gas. Also each wire needs a specific tip (where the wire comes out). Also the polarity of the + and - hook up change between flux core and the wire that needs the Argon gas. Shoot a pic of the wire and the tip of the gun and I will let you know.

Lash
08-27-2006, 09:24 PM
^ true

For gas use... the electrode will be DCEP (direct current reverse polarity... electrode positive)

For flux core it will be - electrode negative

Electrode negative can be used for gas if you only need really SHALLOW penetration.

The wire spool and the tip also have the sizes on them (ex. .030 or .035) The tip needs to correspond with the wire size.

Also...the drive roll tension needs to be set properly in the feeder otherwise it will not weld properly.

Corvette Jabo
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
^ true

For gas use... the electrode will be DCEP (direct current reverse polarity... electrode positive)

For flux core it will be - electrode negative

Electrode negative can be used for gas if you only need really SHALLOW penetration.

The wire spool and the tip also have the sizes on them (ex. .030 or .035) The tip needs to correspond with the wire size.

Also...the drive roll tension needs to be set properly in the feeder otherwise it will not weld properly.

Yea......what he said!!!!

Jabo:rolleyes: