PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of "Salvaged Titles"

Flicktitty
08-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey All,
I was looking a few differant sites and i came across a pretty good deal on a 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 but it has a Salvaged Title. This is what the guy had to say about it.

The car has a rebuilt title b/c the car was hit in the front and needed the fender/bumper/headlight replaced.

I have heard alot of Car's equiped with Front Mount intercoolers being Totalled out pretty easy. So i figured it wouldn't be a half bad idea. But i wanted some peoples opinions first. I looked and 03 SRT-4's Are still going for between $14,000 - $16,000. And this one is ONLY $8,500 and it only has 31,000K Miles and it is pretty modded. the best the car ran was a 12.9 Just wanted some thoughts as to what peoples perspective on "Salavaged Title" cars are.

Oh, And if i got this i doubt i would be trying to sell it anytime soon i would be holding on to it for quite a while.

Well thanks in Advance - Nick

DCDZ28
08-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Typically you would want to stay far far away from a car with a salvage/rebuilt title.
Trying to sell it later on could potentally be extremely difficult and you may not get much for it.

Find out as much as you can about the car and the damage that was repaired. You would not want to buy it and then find that there was more severe damage than the seller let on about.

If you plan to keep it for a long time,are not worried about the resale value and the price is very good than it might be worth it.

Be VERY careful though!

Moparjim
08-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Nothing wrong with it, and actually great deals can be had there is not necessarily anything wrong with a salvage titled car. A lot of times insurance companies "total" out cars that really aren't that bad at all. It is becoming even more common with the high cost to repair newer cars. I wouldn't mind buying a salvage titled car if:

1) The price is right - sounds like it is. The resale is typically low just due to the stigma of a "wrecked" car. Doesn't matter as much if you get the car cheap to begin with.

2) You want the car to keep for awhile - again sounds like it is. If your in it to get a car you want and don't intend to resell it, then its not so big a deal that the title in your file cabinet says "salvage" on it.

3) The repairs were done properly, or you plan to do them yourself. Check it out as thoroughly as possible, make sure everything was done right, no corners were cut. Best is if it's not repaired IMO, then you know exactly what your looking at and you can make sure the stuff is done right since you will be the one doing the work or having it done.

theavenger333
08-25-2006, 10:53 PM
a hybrid of what both have said above, imo, it depends on what you want the car for. you can end up with a really find beater or just driving car for a great deal from a salvage title. that or if its something you want to mod the heck out of, i don't think its a big deal, if its been done properly. if its properly certified and such i wouldn't care. on the flip flop though, if you want to mod the vehicle, you might find problems with fit and finish and such. no matter what, if there was anything bent, broken, etc, 99% of the time, SOMETHING doesn't quite fit right. my GTP had the front end fixed, one of the radiator supports was slightly off, it can't really be fixed without cutting and welding it. just be careful

Flicktitty
08-25-2006, 11:09 PM
If i go down and look i was thinking it would be smart to ask if we could take the car to a Body shop to see what they think of the car and how it was repaired. Do you think that is an ashole thing to do. personally i think it's just covering myself. As far as you asking if i'd mod it i'd most likly mod it here and there. And i would be keeping the car for quite a while A couple of years. thanks for the input so far.

Brandon W.
08-25-2006, 11:35 PM
If i go down and look i was thinking it would be smart to ask if we could take the car to a Body shop to see what they think of the car and how it was repaired. Do you think that is an ashole thing to do. personally i think it's just covering myself. As far as you asking if i'd mod it i'd most likly mod it here and there. And i would be keeping the car for quite a while A couple of years. thanks for the input so far.

i would atleast go look at it..if you ask him to bring it to a body shop and he says no, ask him why? are you trying to hide something?? if somebody were to ask me to do that i would.unless i had something to hide. i would jump on it IMO

johnny--2k
08-26-2006, 09:18 AM
i would look into it, but in most cases it's for some BS crap....my buddies car got stolen and recovered and it has a salvage title on it.

68RR440
08-26-2006, 09:22 AM
My mom's car had a salvage/rebuilt title from a pretty minor deer accident, it hurts when its time to re-sell, but if your keeping it for a while, I'd say go for it.
I really like the taking it to a body shop idea, if he says no, walk away.

88Nightmare
08-26-2006, 09:24 AM
try to see some receipts of the damage that was repaired, it will indicate what was done. Also, go talk to the body shop that did the repairs and see if they have any comments about how extensive the damage is. I know a guy who owns a body shop and he has seen some interesting cases. Some minor, but still branded the car as a salvage. others, including brand new mustang gt's being driven through corn fields...... just kinda weird.

Lash
08-26-2006, 10:02 AM
It really all depends on how well it was rebuilt. You dont want something that was hacked back together just to make some money. Insurance companies are evil and will try anything to make money. Even if a car can never be made as safe as it was before an accident (some damage can ruin a car no matter how well you fix it)...they will still try to get it fixed. My Dad sees it all the time.

You need somebody who knows what they are looking at to go with you to take a good look at it.

twirkin50
08-26-2006, 10:13 AM
I have owned one car with a salvaged title and will never do it again regardless of the deal. As long as you don't plan on getting rid of it your fine. When I tried to sell mine it took forever and I took a beating on the price because no one wanted to deal with the fact that it had a salvaged title. Same deal too, just had a hit in the front bumper and fender, but the airbags went off.

MurphysLaw88GT
08-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey All,
I was looking a few differant sites and i came across a pretty good deal on a 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 but it has a Salvaged Title. This is what the guy had to say about it.

I have heard alot of Car's equiped with Front Mount intercoolers being Totalled out pretty easy. So i figured it wouldn't be a half bad idea. But i wanted some peoples opinions first. I looked and 03 SRT-4's Are still going for between $14,000 - $16,000. And this one is ONLY $8,500 and it only has 31,000K Miles and it is pretty modded. the best the car ran was a 12.9 Just wanted some thoughts as to what peoples perspective on "Salavaged Title" cars are.

Oh, And if i got this i doubt i would be trying to sell it anytime soon i would be holding on to it for quite a while.

Well thanks in Advance - Nick
werent you just insulting someone for driving a neon in another thread:rolf

formul8
08-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Can't insult any Neon that runs in the 12's....

I would buy a car with a salvage title on two conditions:

-It is from the owner that had the accident

-They have full documentation AND photos of the damage.

That way, I have documentation for when I SELL the car later on to back up.

Waver
08-26-2006, 11:55 AM
The whole stigma behind salvaged cars is the myth that a car never drives the same after it is hit.....honestly that is a crock of shit. If it is repaired right then you should have no problems with it....buy it, and if it is a big shit pile, part it out. get your money back...

Flicktitty
08-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks guy's for all the help! just waiting for the guy to get back to me!
MurphysLaw88GT - Yeah, but this one is alot cheaper then what he paid ;) and it's faster! Oh, and there's nothing bad with getting 25+MPG while going 12's-13's

Poncho
08-26-2006, 12:54 PM
if it's in good shape, I'd go for it, thats a hell of alot of car for $8500, assuming all has been properly repaired.

GHOSST
08-26-2006, 01:16 PM
I personally bought a salvaged 97' Z28, I checked the car out before I drove it, and it drove straight as an arrow when I did. Insurance companies stamp salvage on any little thing, especially if the cars a theft recovery, with minimal damage. Its all about what you know, and if your a good judge of character about something really messed up, or truly damaged, you'll know to leave it alone. One thing that I do stand by tho, is selling it later on... good luck with having salvage on the title..

Lash
08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
The whole stigma behind salvaged cars is the myth that a car never drives the same after it is hit.....honestly that is a crock of shit.

Yeah? You should see some of the crap insurance companies drag into the shop my Dad works for trying to get it "rebuilt" to try and sell.
You'd be amazed.

Not all salvaged cars are bad.....but you really have to be carefull. Some people are really good at hiding things....especially if you have no idea what to look for. Some things are just too good to be true. :)

Flicktitty
08-26-2006, 01:32 PM
....especially if you have no idea what to look for. Some things are just too good to be true. :) That's what i'm afraid of... :( oh well time will tell. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO CHIMED IN ON HERE! :thumbsup

Crawlin
08-26-2006, 02:13 PM
isn't there a difference between Salvage & Rebuilt titles?

A salvage is one that has been branded as not worth fixing to the insurance companies. BUT then the rebuilt title is one that has been put back together and has been inspected by the state as passing their criteria for road worthiness.

is there such a thing in WI? if so, i'd be careful which one it is branded as

USMARINE1108
08-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I think the biggest thing I'd look at would be if the frame was twisted. Then, if it's a good shop that fixed it the right way and cosmeticly it looks good, I'd pick it up for the right price.

Flicktitty
08-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Well the car is in the Chicagoland area... so i'm not sure how it would be titling the car up here. but i'm gonna look up a couple shops where is lives and have them look at the car when i go down to look at it.

nismodave
08-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Salvaged= Problems.

Period.

Flicktitty
08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

everyone who has helped me out in this thread will get a +1 once i can share more rep! :rolf :thumbsup

97z2801ss
08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
i agree with jimbo use your best judgement.
drive the car look it over
it mayb a good deal it may not

Big Boost
08-26-2006, 04:49 PM
I purchased a salvaged title car back in '97. It was a white Sentra SE-R. It was salvage titled in Minnesota. It was repaired in Wisconsin. I had to have it inspected to clear the salvage title. Guess what? I had it cleared by having a reputable body shop repair it and I received a CLEAR WISCONSIN TITLE!!!!!! This is a little known factoid. I agree that most salvage titled cars should be avoided, however you can find a needle in the haystack once in awhile.

GHOSST
08-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Well, my title actually had on it "Rebuilt Salvage, WI DOT Passed", printed on the title with everything else...

isn't there a difference between Salvage & Rebuilt titles?

A salvage is one that has been branded as not worth fixing to the insurance companies. BUT then the rebuilt title is one that has been put back together and has been inspected by the state as passing their criteria for road worthiness.

is there such a thing in WI? if so, i'd be careful which one it is branded as