PDA

View Full Version : Might be done for the year....What should I do?

nismodave
08-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, the head got pulled on the NISSAN yesterday and there is no damage to the Piston. The broken Valve Spring kept the valve in place enough not to hit the top of the piston.

Here is my problem.....In order to build the head right........

Springs with retainers- 220
Stainless Steel Valves-240
New Valve Seals-60
New Timing Chain Cover/Oil Pump- 230
Timing Chain-80
Custom Valve guides-???

Labor for head- 300-400

Labor to pull motor, and Reinstall Motor ( I will help, its a freinds shop) -??? Few Hundred or so.

So it will be around $1500 to have a pretty much bulletproof head. But I just got back to work full time and the $$$ has been pretty lean all year.

Do I spend the cash now and get it all done to drive it for Maybe a Month?

Or do I just pull the motor and do it slowly as I work more, and get it done over the winter?

I have the $$$ to do it, but I dont want to pull all of that cash out of my account right now.

juicedimpss
08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
fix it,you can dump more in a few months.

03CVLX
08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, If you have something to drive, Work on it slowly over winter. It will be easier on the pocketbook if nothing else

juicedimpss
08-25-2006, 04:51 PM
another thought,is evenn worth doin the bigger motor? maybe more turbo and more cyl head work will make close to the same power???
I have seen a few cases of small motors doing the same and more than their larger equals,although i know nothing about nissan....other than they get good fuel mileage.

Myles
08-25-2006, 04:53 PM
get that pile done. Worry about bigger and better next time you hurt it bad.

Brian98GTP
08-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Dave,
I would just take the 'Safe' route, and take your time with the rebuild.
I'm not sure how much work you guys have, or how busy you're going to be, but if I were just starting with a new company through our Union, (did you start at a different company??) I'd take my sweet ass time spending money on a hobby such as this. :)
With Christmas only a few months away, I'd keep my bank accounts on the 'not so lean' side. :)
There will always be next year, and you can always add more during the winter while everything is apart.

...thats my opinion anyways. Good luck with the new company!! (unless you're still with the same one, LOL)

BAD LS1
08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Were these double springs?

nismodave
Yea.......Im also goin to Vegas for SEMA on NOV 1st. So I will need the cash.

nismodave
Were these double springs?

Nope.......I didnt know they were crappy aftermarket spring till after they were put in. :mad:

H8RADE
08-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Can you pull that plug and still roll race?
You and 496WS6...5 cylinders...52 psi...from 88 mph...
First one to 1.21 gigawatts wins...
Midnight at the old clock tower...
:thumbsup

Lash
08-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Dave,
I would just take the 'Safe' route, and take your time with the rebuild.
I'm not sure how much work you guys have, or how busy you're going to be, but if I were just starting with a new company through our Union, (did you start at a different company??) I'd take my sweet ass time spending money on a hobby such as this. :)
With Christmas only a few months away, I'd keep my bank accounts on the 'not so lean' side. :)
There will always be next year, and you can always add more during the winter while everything is apart.

...thats my opinion anyways. Good luck with the new company!! (unless you're still with the same one, LOL)

x2

You never know how long work is going to last during the winter months...which really isnt that far away.

sloLs1
08-25-2006, 06:34 PM
well how strong is your bottom end??? if you put a really nice and expensive head on it, then blow a connecting rod in half and send a pistion into your newly worked head, i think you'll be pretty mad! but if I was in your position i would most likely just wait and build it over winter... the more time you put into it now the better you'll feel when its done!

Crawlin
08-25-2006, 06:37 PM
roll the cash out in vegas in hopes you make more of it.

if not, you have all winter to save again :)

but honestly, i like taking the long approach to saving and not worrying about it, but then again, my shit has been off the road for a year. at the same time though, you'll have to get a jump on it early enough to beat everyone else for the machine shop wait time.

Slow Joe
08-25-2006, 06:44 PM
You never know how long work is going to last during the winter months...which really isnt that far away.

Quoted for truth. This is something I wish I would of known better my first year selling cars... That was sure a long 4 months with almost no money...

I'd save it for next year if I were you Dave. Just look at it this way there's only a good solid month, maybe month and a half of driving left. And it'd be pulled apart for some of that time anwyays, take your time, make sure everything's alright and do it the right way the first time, why have your car down twice for the same problem and spend the extra money on it buying parts.

Btw, you can borrow my engine stand, just tell me when. You know where I live... :durr

carkid0101
08-25-2006, 06:53 PM
i dont care what anyone says,

Fall = Best car Month

Fix it so you can have fun in the most comfortable time of year!!!!!!!!!!

H8RADE
08-25-2006, 08:01 PM
i dont care what anyone says,

Fall = Best car Month

News Flash...
Fall has been promoted to 'season' beginning on or around the biblical times.
Don't forget to tip your waitresses...you've been great...
:thumbsup

Flicktitty
08-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Go big or go home! ;) i personally would just keep it off the road till spring! and build the motor.. but then again..it would be nice to have it for another month or two. At the end of the day it is all up to you. WHAT DO YOU WANT? Do you want to drive it the way it was or come out next spring in a Totally differant 240? it's your call. i say wait and bring it out next spring!

DCDZ28
08-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Bummer Dave! :(

I personally would save teh cash and take my time to fix it over winter.

Good Luck!

HITMAN
08-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Hmmm, LS1 swap anyone??? http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_tongue.gif

nismodave
08-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Well, the motor is coming out next week.

I really do not think I will want to spend the big $$$ for sleeving the motor. I would most certainly have to send it somewhere accross the country to do it. I have been reading about guys sending their motors to local shops (in other citys) and having them messed up bad.

I know there are some great machine shops here, but none of them have experience with the SR20det.

I took a closer look at the head gasket, and it was certainly leaking in 2 different places for sure. No woner I kept losing coolant.

I knew I would be replacing it anyway. Im going with a different HG than Greddy. Iv had a valve spring and a HG go bad from those cockholes.:flipoff2:

So I will need another $200 on top of my previous parts list.:alcoholic

nismodave
08-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the input fellas!!!!!!

I think Ive made a Decision.

Flicktitty
08-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the input fellas!!!!!!

I think Ive made a Decision.
which is?

Cjburn
08-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I have always prefered JWT valve train stuff. Had S4's and springs, and you don't hear too much about failures

Flicktitty
08-26-2006, 03:44 PM
^^^ I've heard some bad things about JWT not so much there valve train but other things.

H8RADE
08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
It wouldn't quite be BCM if you posted a poll and didn't do EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what the voting indicates.
Don't be scared to be stupid...
http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/crashphotos/files/post-31301-1146887263241741920.jpg

Flicktitty
08-26-2006, 04:17 PM
^^^ HOLY SHIT!!! ^^^
You got any more pics of that??

Big Boost
08-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Dave, how soon we forget about one of the best resources for DET info right here in Milwaukee!!

First of all, as far as trusting a place to build the shortblock, look no further than Waukesha Engine and Machine on Arcardian. I had a shortblock machined there with top notch parts from JE/Swaintech coated pistons and Cunningham H beam rods. I sold the engine to a guy in NY and he still beats the piss out of it 5 years later!! No hiccups at all with the JWT program and he uses their S4 cams, titanium retainers and springs. He revs it to 8500 all day. They also built another block for a buddy with a 200SX. He should be running shortly. PM me, I should have you covered. As a matter of fact, I have a bare RWD DET block waiting to get some lovin'.

nismodave
08-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Dave, how soon we forget about one of the best resources for DET info right here in Milwaukee!!

First of all, as far as trusting a place to build the shortblock, look no further than Waukesha Engine and Machine on Arcardian. I had a shortblock machined there with top notch parts from JE/Swaintech coated pistons and Cunningham H beam rods. I sold the engine to a guy in NY and he still beats the piss out of it 5 years later!! No hiccups at all with the JWT program and he uses their S4 cams, titanium retainers and springs. He revs it to 8500 all day. They also built another block for a buddy with a 200SX. He should be running shortly. PM me, I should have you covered. As a matter of fact, I have a bare RWD DET block waiting to get some lovin'.

I will PM ya tommorw to discuss. Thanks.:thumbsup

junk mx6 no rly
08-26-2006, 07:02 PM

hmm they do good work there then huh?hmm might have to visit them i live like 5mins away.

H8RADE
08-26-2006, 07:16 PM
hmm they do good work there then huh?hmm might have to visit them i live like 5mins away.

Maybe they have a welder and some all-thread so you can waste a Mach1.
:rolf

Holeshot
08-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Dave If I can help you with parts Let me know.

Flicktitty
08-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Dave If I can help you with parts Let me know.
:thumbsup same goes for me Dave! you got my number :thumbsup