PDA

View Full Version : PC Productivity

murdoc158
08-24-2006, 10:48 PM
So I went to a free seminar tonight. Has anyone else attended one of these before? I've been thinking about a career change and the radio ads caught my attention. Apparently you can get trained in IT in 6 months, they will help you land your first job, and you can expect to make $40k-$58k your first year. The only real drawback is the class costs $24k, but does include all your books, labs, etc. so there are no other costs to dish out. Apparently vocational schools like MATC, WCTC charge $36k-$48k without books. They claim that the classes are all hands on, so you get "real world" experience, versus some other schools that might be all lectures or bookwork. Any thoughts? Anyone here in the IT field? What kind of education do you have? What kind of work are you doing? Hows your salary? Link to website: http://www.pcproductivityschools.com/

hrsp
08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
did ya get free pizza?

pOrk
08-24-2006, 10:54 PM
SCAM

If you look into what the classes actually cost at MATC / WCTC, you'll find that it is MUCH cheaper then a program like that claims.

Slow Joe
08-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I looked into it and ended up going with WCTC... Just my .02 --
WCTC = Associates Degree + MS Certification (if you go for it)
PC Productivity = Microsoft Certification

PureSound15
08-24-2006, 11:50 PM
My buddy just one the XBOX 360 at one, and you get free dinner!

Did you get a free XboX 360 or Pizza for making this post?

SlowStee
08-25-2006, 12:03 AM
So I went to a free seminar tonight. Has anyone else attended one of these before? I've been thinking about a career change and the radio ads caught my attention. Apparently you can get trained in IT in 6 months, they will help you land your first job, and you can expect to make $40k-$58k your first year. The only real drawback is the class costs $24k, but does include all your books, labs, etc. so there are no other costs to dish out. Apparently vocational schools like MATC, WCTC charge $36k-$48k without books. They claim that the classes are all hands on, so you get "real world" experience, versus some other schools that might be all lectures or bookwork. Any thoughts? Anyone here in the IT field? What kind of education do you have? What kind of work are you doing? Hows your salary? Link to website: http://www.pcproductivityschools.com/
I sure as **** wouldnt

animal
08-25-2006, 12:23 AM
thoughts? Anyone here in the IT field? What kind of education do you have? What kind of work are you doing? Hows your salary?

It's all BS. Everyone thinks it's that easy to get in to because of places like this. What they're not telling you is that the IT sector is completely flooded with people that have gone to these places and are led to believe they know all this stuff about IT, and anything related. In all reality, they've been taught a curriculum, and maybe coached into gaining a few certifications (which really prove nothing as far as ability is concerned). Being a seasoned IT professional as I am, I've followed people like this around fixing the problems they create. The last IT job we posted we had well over 350 resumes, 80-90% of which had less than 1 year of tech training and 0 experience in the IT field. These are the people you'll be competing against for these "40-50k" jobs (which to start are very rare for no experience). You can likely get in on a helpdesk job or something like that pulling in 25-30k with some serious work, but don't expect the salaries they claim you'll get right out of 6 months of school.

As far as me, I spent less than 24k getting a BS in computer science. It's a much better "foot in the door" and allows me to get an interview where I can then blow away the other candidates.

Don't get me wrong, the field is great, but starting out with 0 experience and a 6 month tech degree isn't going to get you where they'd have you believe it will. IT jobs have slimmed down since the late 90's, and to get a good one you really do need to know your stuff, and prove you know it once you land the job, as opposed to spouting off the textbook stuff they teach in those classes. It's no different than anything else, education is foot in the door, and experience talks. Start in the entry level and work your way up.

titan dohc v8
08-25-2006, 05:31 AM
i went when i was 17, i was really into computers and how they worked so i went (mainly to try to the xbox they were givin away, pizza 2) bout 1 month later my interest went to cars so i went to WCTC for the automotive program and got a job at a dealer

:sniper PC productivity

murdoc158
08-25-2006, 06:32 AM
First..yes we got free pizza Marty's FTW!!!

Second, you win an XBOX if you sign up for another private meeting with them. Since everyone ends up signing up, your chances are slim.

Third, they keep pushing that the IT field has huge openings. I've heard from a few people now (on other boards) that the IT field is getting flooded and not worth getting into at this time. I enjoy working on and with computers, so I thought I would see what it's about. I will check up with WCTC and MATC and their prices if I pursue this further.

Cryptic
08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
goto MATC and take the same courses...

Silver350
08-25-2006, 07:11 AM
I always hate hearing those commercials because I know it is a bunch of bs. everyone mentions something to me that maybe they should do that I told them dont waste your time and money on a microsoft cirtificate because in a couple years when something new comes out and you dont have a job you will have to get something else. Plus the market for IT isnt as good as what it use to be when I started in it 8 years ago.

BadAzzGTA89
08-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Well you can waste your money there or save money and go to MATC:thumbsup

Goat Roper
08-25-2006, 08:36 AM
I have my MCSA, MCSE and MCDBA, all self trained. Classes will def help if you are not computer inclined though I would suppose.

I agree, go the MATC route, that is an incredibly expensive setup at PCP.

Nothing makes up for experience, remember that. I know people who can rattle off things they learned in school but you ask them to pull the IPs off a UNIX box and they look at you like you just asked them something in a foreign language.

Don't expect decent money right out of school unless you go in as a contractor.

Take your time, learn it right. 6 months is not long enough to learn it right.

03CVLX
08-25-2006, 08:36 AM
My brother is going to Techskills also out in Brookfield. Same thing as PC Productivity but its way cheaper. He is paying around $9,000 for the same certifications.

wikked
08-25-2006, 09:43 AM
mmm.. I'd go just for Marty's :drool:

Josepy
08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
i had looked into it also last year. I already have 8 years of IT under my belt but with no schooling. its a rip off. i knew more than the guys teaching it. Im just going to buy the books and take the tests on my own.

murdoc158
08-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Guys, thanks for all of your input. I've been talking to a few other people as well and they are saying the same things. PC Productivity is OUT. If I decide to further myself I will look into MATC or even Techskills. I've always had an interest in computers so I figured it couldn't hurt to see what it's about. It's a shame the market for IT professionals has bottomed out. As far as the market changing in a few years and not having a job, this sounds like alot of other jobs out there. You need to keep yourself up-to-date with your field and keep taking those classes. This can be said for computers, health care, and the automotove field as well. Good luck to us all! :alcoholic

Lash
08-25-2006, 04:14 PM
$40k-$58k your first year

:rolf

I love laughing at the commercials they run on the radio...

"thats a lot of cheese people" :rolf

H8RADE
08-25-2006, 04:21 PM
It's all BS. Everyone thinks it's that easy to get in to because of places like this. What they're not telling you is that the IT sector is completely flooded with people that have gone to these places and are led to believe they know all this stuff about IT, and anything related. In all reality, they've been taught a curriculum, and maybe coached into gaining a few certifications (which really prove nothing as far as ability is concerned). Being a seasoned IT professional as I am, I've followed people like this around fixing the problems they create. The last IT job we posted we had well over 350 resumes, 80-90% of which had less than 1 year of tech training and 0 experience in the IT field. These are the people you'll be competing against for these "40-50k" jobs (which to start are very rare for no experience). You can likely get in on a helpdesk job or something like that pulling in 25-30k with some serious work, but don't expect the salaries they claim you'll get right out of 6 months of school.

As far as me, I spent less than 24k getting a BS in computer science. It's a much better "foot in the door" and allows me to get an interview where I can then blow away the other candidates.

Don't get me wrong, the field is great, but starting out with 0 experience and a 6 month tech degree isn't going to get you where they'd have you believe it will. IT jobs have slimmed down since the late 90's, and to get a good one you really do need to know your stuff, and prove you know it once you land the job, as opposed to spouting off the textbook stuff they teach in those classes. It's no different than anything else, education is foot in the door, and experience talks. Start in the entry level and work your way up.

x eleventy billion.
I left IT recruiting for engineering.
A few certifications and 7 years later, I can't wait to get out.
Fun while it lasted, but the market is flooded, and I have friends with 6-8 years experience who are glad to have a contract that pays $25/hour.
Yes...it's that bad.
I will train you for 1/4 of the PCP price, and gurantee you an MCSE certification.
If you can learn the alphabet backwards, you can learn how to retain (regurgitate) enough information to pass a Microsoft exam.
Once you get the basics, its all gravy.
If you want to do something, do something different.
The world is moving towards custom everything...
If you find a way to make a shoelace different than anyone else, there is a market, because it's different.
Mark Cuban is investing in heated toilets that wash yer dingleberries out.
It's a brave new world.
IT and Networking is the HVAC of a new millennium.
Sally Struthers will be hawking MCSEs by 2010, for 1 hour a night in the comfort of your own mobility scooter.
IT is mind numbing BS and you will hate everyone you will work with...unless you are a dork already, in which case you will have a peer group.
My $.02.

srt4eh
08-25-2006, 05:42 PM
PCP sucks....