PDA

View Full Version : New Wrx Tr

mike90lx
08-22-2006, 06:26 PM
What are some of the first mods you guys would do?
I own a supercharged mustang so this import stuff is kinda new.
Are there any local shops?
How much boost can I add with the stock set up?
Which is the best catback for the money?

Thanks, Mike

RedGSX
08-22-2006, 07:25 PM
A huge site for the WRX's is http://www.nasioc.com .

first mods I did on my STi where, intake, exhaust, downpipe, some sort of ECU reflash to increase fuel and boost, I specifically used the COBB Accessport Tuner.

local shops:
P&L Motorsports in chitown. http://www.pandlmotorsports.com
GRD Performance also in chitown. www.grdperformance.com
not sure if Bee will work on a suby, but it's worth a shot.

not sure on the max boost, but the cobb stage 2 reflash puts you up to 17.5 which is targeted for daily driving. Just don't get a manual boost controller and go to town that would be bad!

As for cat-back, it's just like and other car. It's all on how you want it to sound. I personally like APS, no drone and subtle. http://www.airpowersystems.com.au

mike90lx
08-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Hey thanks for the info I appreciate it.

fireguyrick
08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Tires. The re92's that the WRX come with are TERRIABLE.

How far do you want to go with mods? What are your plans for this car (street, AutoX, Drag, road, rally)?

If you can tell me what you are looking to do with it, I can give you some detailed advice.

Rick

mike90lx
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
auto-x mostly probably stock class till the end of the year
then I would like around 300whp and really focus on the handling

fireguyrick
08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok, I am not totally familiar with what limits are placed on cars for individual classes in AutoX. However, I would suggest the following mods if you AutoX.

I would REALLY change the tires, like I said, they SUCK. In my honest opinion coilovers are overkill for 99% of people. A set of springs and Koni's are usually MORE then enough. Springs I would personally go with either Crucial Racing or STi pink springs. Get an ailignment. Some solid rear endlinks and a swaybar are a decent mod, helps to get rid of the understeer in the car. Some new break pads and SS brake lines would not be a bad idea either.

Powerwise, I would for sure use a Cobb AccessPort. It is the most versatile tool out there, PLUS you have the ability to use several diifferent maps, and switch them yourself. Even a stock car will benefit from ECU tuning, and with the AP you can get it preloaded with a stock map and a map for when you have a catless exhaust. It also allows you to upgrade to a ProTuner, and get custom tuned when you get more mods.

There are a pretty fair amount of resources in the web community, I would look around and try to decide what works best for you.

Rick

stock?
08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
for the stock class you can only do a cat-back and tires and brakes, oh ya a k&n in the stock box. other mods will bump you to a different class

sloLs1
08-23-2006, 12:10 AM
.....Are there any local shops?.......

i can help you with anything you need.... let me know if you'd like some help!

whitehatch
08-23-2006, 02:23 AM
bee did my trans work for me so he will work on subarus.

flackjacket
08-23-2006, 08:34 AM
My roommate has an 06 TR. His first mods were tranny mount, and Cobb Stage 2. It is a night and day difference. I think the stage 2 bumps the boost to 18 depending on the map you load into the ecm. Exhaust sounds nice also.

jbiscuit
08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
turboback exhaust for sure. The car REALLY comes alive with a turboback. Then do the COBB accessport. Best bang for your buck. You don't even need to do an intake. The stock air box is fine on these cars until you start getting more serious about horsepower.

Avoid the mods you don't need, like a blow off valve. I agree also that the car could use some suspension upgrades. Consider the Helix coilovers. The Megan Racing ones get great reviews also.

Good luck in your modding!

1loudrex
08-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Well i dont know if they still have a cat in the uppipe in the 06's but that was my first mod that i did. I love it alot better response now. But for you i would get rid of all the cats, some nice coilovers, and some new tires as said above.

For auto-x which i am doing you want the best coilovers possible, dont do some cheap springs and struts. Thats my personal opinion.

But in the end it is your choice as to what mods you decide to do. For autox its not power that you need it is handling and im assuming that you and everyone here knows that.

fireguyrick
08-23-2006, 11:21 AM
For auto-x which i am doing you want the best coilovers possible, dont do some cheap springs and struts. Thats my personal opinion.

I do not disagree that coilovers are better then springs and struts, but most people will never have the ability to drive the car to the limits of a decent spring/strut setup. That is why I said they are overkill for 99% of the people. So really I should have said the first mod should be the driver, take some driving courses like Skip Barber.

An uppipe is a good mod, however, since 04 on it is pretty much mandatory to have engine managment with a change in the uppipe. This has to do with how Subaru's ECU handles Closed/Open loop fueling and a few other parameters.

Rick

1loudrex
08-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I do not disagree that coilovers are better then springs and struts, but most people will never have the ability to drive the car to the limits of a decent spring/strut setup. That is why I said they are overkill for 99% of the people. So really I should have said the first mod should be the driver, take some driving courses like Skip Barber.

An uppipe is a good mod, however, since 04 on it is pretty much mandatory to have engine managment with a change in the uppipe. This has to do with how Subaru's ECU handles Closed/Open loop fueling and a few other parameters.

Rick

ahhhhh didnt know that in the new suby's. I just got mine in and I LOVE it.

TurboAWD2.0
08-23-2006, 05:18 PM
In my opinion, the best first mod is the rear swaybar/endlinks combo. Add in new tires if you have the budget. After that, coilovers or a combination of springs and struts is your best bet. I went with KYB AGX 4-way adjustable struts and Ground Control coilover springs.

Judging by your first post, however, you're not as interested in the handling as you are in the power. I'd get rid of the cats, and get engine management. For what it's worth, my 2002 WRX is catless but with the stock catback (and no other power mods). I ran a 14.1 @ 93 my first (and only) time at GLD. The new WRXs are quicker than that... ;)

TURTLE
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
one more thing that you can do in the stock class is adjustable shock with the stock springs...

but since you're already set on going coilovers, it's kinda useless to look into them...

and the other sad thing is if you do anything that affects boost(chip, intercooler, boost controller, BOV, boost pipes) it puts you into street mod(with motor swaps, big turbo cars, etc.)

so if you're prepared to run with the big boys, then go for it! we need more cars in street mod, the class has been getting dry lately.

stock?
08-24-2006, 01:14 AM
one more thing that you can do in the stock class is adjustable shock with the stock springs...

but since you're already set on going coilovers, it's kinda useless to look into them...

and the other sad thing is if you do anything that affects boost(chip, intercooler, boost controller, BOV, boost pipes) it puts you into street mod(with motor swaps, big turbo cars, etc.)

so if you're prepared to run with the big boys, then go for it! we need more cars in street mod, the class has been getting dry lately.

i am mikes bro and i remember you from wai the first event i was in the acr.

i pretty much agree on keeping the stock air box just drop in a k&n, get a good set of tires and the programmer. maybe the cat back but only if its not to damn loud, quiet is the key to a good a@@ whoop'n it will leave them wondering:devil

Flicktitty
08-24-2006, 03:10 AM
what is the differance from a TR to just a regular WRX?

jbiscuit
08-24-2006, 07:45 AM
the TR is a strippo version. black plastic side mirrors, no wing on the back etc...GREAT set up to mod

UnderPSI
08-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I like the no wing idea.........

jbiscuit
08-24-2006, 08:25 AM
they are awesome cars for the money. Subaru hit the nail on the head with the TR. Make it ready for mods...there is a bad@ss white one rolling around the west allis area on Volks, blacked out headlights, exhaust, tinted windows etc. I gave him a rev on National ave the other night to see what the car had in it...he took the bait and played a little but wouldn't get in it once I did :) Anyone here?

Bart H
08-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Ok since you have a 06 the best auto-x class is D stock. Otherwise due to the fact that the 06 comes with a 2.5 your other options would be STU (Street Touring Ultra we all run street tires per class rules) aganist STI's and EVO's, or SM (Street Modified you should run race rubber) which is an anything goes class if you want to mod up. If you come down Saturday and run the TR sign up in the A (AWD) class with a DS index and you should be pretty competitive.

Bart

stock?
08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
oh he will be there both days that should be a good break in for the motor and drive gear.
i hope he does good but he does have the all season tires so who knows

mike90lxII
08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I had to do a new logon because I think they banned my other one, won't work anymore.

Bart H
08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
yes i saw that

1loudrex
08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Bart Im running a 02 wrx without my catback on. Just stock open dp. Would I be running in DS?

Bart H
08-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Is the rest of is stock? If you have a stock car with no exhaust you should be is A with a DS index. I would stick an exhaust on if I was you though.

1loudrex
08-24-2006, 06:04 PM
yea i would plan on it if i were racing. Im waiting for all the rest of the parts to come

Bart H
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Ahh, what parts?

1loudrex
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
lets see. I have a Perrin uppipe already on, waiting for my coilovers, blitz catback, perrin downpipe, and my Work Emotion CR's to come.