PDA

View Full Version : Engine Dyno or Chassis Dyno or No Dyno?

DynoTom
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
What's your thoughts?

What method do you guys like?

I went with a "engine dyno" for my 520 N/A BBF but, to tell you the truth if I was doing a "less modified" engine I would probably not have it dynod at all?

I have heard that a "engine dyno" really can find issues with a engine that could be hard to find and fix once it's in the car?

I know Bobbie used a "engine dyno" and Boss used a "chassis dyno" for their Mustangs and they both are Monster engines so, is there really a "better" dyno test between the two?

DoubleAron
08-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Engine dyno if possible is the best for many reasons, leaks to repair if needed, converter selection made easier the first time with the dyno graph, alot of times automatics and converters do all kinds of crazy things on a chassis dyno. With a stick car I would have no problem using a chassis dyno. Carb cars are easy on a engine dyno but the engine dyno might not be set-up for your type EFI system. Sometimes when you engine dyno a motor it reacts different once in the car with a real life load is placed upon it. Lots of different pros and cons but if at all possible I would use a engine dyno.

DoubleAron
08-20-2006, 11:00 PM
I went with a "engine dyno" for my 520 N/A BBF

Well?

juicedimpss
08-20-2006, 11:03 PM
IMO a dyno is a great tool for getting in the ballpark with the tuneup,but neither one will load the engine the same way the car will on the track. I say get a close baseline and tune in the "real world" from there,you cant race dyno sheets and its all a matter of the WHOLE PACKAGE for a combo to really run the number.

HRSEPLA
08-21-2006, 08:57 AM
What heee saiiiiiid ^

MurphysLaw88GT
08-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Ifi had the $$$$, spend it on an engine dyno. as mentioned earlier,it is nice to find leaks and sort out misc problems BEFORE dropping it in.

Goat Roper
08-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Where can one find an engine dyno around Milwaukee?

DynoTom
08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Well?

I'm making a movie clip of the dyno pulls.

I will email a link to the guys that want to see it.....

520 cubes, 415 CFM A-460 HEADS, 13.5 to 1 COMPRESSION, .725 lift .275 @ 0.50 roller,1150 BRE Dom on a DYNO = a good movie teaser!:shades

juicedimpss
08-21-2006, 11:02 AM
520 cubes, 415 CFM A-460 HEADS, 13.5 to 1 COMPRESSION, .725 lift .275 @ 0.50 roller,1150 BRE Dom on a DYNO = a good movie teaser!:shades
sounds like 800+ hp n/a to me.

Syclone0044
08-21-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm with FST347NA. Engine dyno is better but a b!tch to setup for a fuel injected car. Chassis dyno is easier but a b!tch on a car with automatic transmission and high stall torque converter.

FourEyedFord
08-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I vote engine dyno also because it will load a motor far more than any chassis dyno or track will. So if you have an issue, that is most likely where you will find it. It also makes converter selection a lot easier for an automatic car.
I agree 100% also that dynos should really only be used for a tuning tool, not just for getting a number. After getting a baseline, tuning the motor in the car at the track, in its home lol, is going to be the best way to go.
After all, whats the more important number anyway ET or HP?
"Don't claim the power if you can't mile per hour!!!"- HRSEPLA :D

DoubleAron
08-21-2006, 09:17 PM
On that same note what wins races ET or MPH?:D

Al
08-21-2006, 09:44 PM
What the hell does this thing know about racing?
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/e_t__the_extra_terrestrial/henry_thomas/et.jpg

The drag strip is about getting from point A to point B in the shortest time possible. I have not heard of races where the guy going the fastest at point B is called the winner.

An engine dyno would allow you to really fine-tune your engine while putting no strain on your vehicle. If something does go wrong, it will be much easier to address than if you had to take your engine apart while it was still in your car.

juicedimpss
08-22-2006, 08:09 AM
survey says.........................

et wins.mph is just another way to tune,and it will show power increases (or decreases)when tuning.personally i dont care what my mph is,as long as it doesnt suddenly drop offf for no reason.

FourEyedFord
08-22-2006, 09:29 AM

D@mn, MPH doesn't?!?!?! :shades

juicedimpss
08-22-2006, 09:42 AM
et(along with r/t) gets to the other end first.
you can have a car running 12.0 @112 and one running 12.50 @122,assuming the cars leave together the slow mph car wins.the 12.50 car was spinning the tires,and mph indicates what et he has power to run(in the 10's).

DoubleAron
08-22-2006, 10:54 AM

No but if it did I bet you'll be the champ.:D J/K man hope everything comes together for this weekend.:shades

HRSEPLA
08-22-2006, 03:45 PM
OMG Nerds- "Dont claim the power if you cant Mile per hour" is just an old expression for the dyno queens. ahhhhhhhhhhh lol

Syclone0044
08-22-2006, 08:35 PM
I voted "Both chassis and engine dyno" but in my opinion, MPH indicates which vehicle will accelerate harder and has more power in general. I know MPH doesnt win races but I'm more into hard acceleration than I am into drag racing.