PDA

View Full Version : buying/selling cars info

rally_scort
08-20-2006, 11:36 AM
does anybody know if there is a limit on how many cars you can buy/sell each year without having a dealers liscense? ive been told 3 is the max but id like to know for sure and if there are any options i have.ive already sold 2 cars this year and im plannin on selling my two cars i have now so is there a way to get around it and sell both cars?

Yooformula
08-20-2006, 11:44 AM
dont title them if you are only keeping them for a short time. if you have to title 1 or 2, use your wife or significant other.

rally_scort
08-20-2006, 11:47 AM
ive had the cars for a few months a piece and there both titled in my name.i was wondering if i could write one off as a gift or something to get past selling em?

88Nightmare
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I believe you can title up to 5 cars per calendar year in your name. It has nothing to do with how many cars you sell per year. Its how many you put into your name every year.

theavenger333
08-20-2006, 12:34 PM
^^^^ correct, its 5. like yoo said, just don't title them. as long as you have liscense plates that belong to you, slap them on the car, and carry the title with you. just don't date it. you get pulled over, show them the title, say you just got it, and the plates haven't transfered yet.

rally_scort
08-20-2006, 12:52 PM
so i can title 5 cars a year? if so thats fine because ill be getting a car for winter and ill just have to keep it till next year.

68RR440
08-20-2006, 03:08 PM
as long as you have liscense plates that belong to you, slap them on the car, and carry the title with you. just don't date it. you get pulled over, show them the title, say you just got it, and the plates haven't transfered yet.

I got a few tickets that way, improper evidence of registration is an almost $400 ticket alone. The police have called the seller to inform them they must date the title when they sign it, which leads to more trouble. Thats a real bad idea.

Just sell your cars dude, its not like someone is sitting there counting how many cars you've sold already this year, if they did, I'd be buried under the jail by now.

88Nightmare
08-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I got a few tickets that way, improper evidence of registration is an almost $400 ticket alone. The police have called the seller to inform them they must date the title when they sign it, which leads to more trouble. Thats a real bad idea.

Just sell your cars dude, its not like someone is sitting there counting how many cars you've sold already this year, if they did, I'd be buried under the jail by now.

true dat. you can sell all the cars you want to your hearts desire. The limitation and what is being monitored by the man is how many cars you title every year, and again, that limit is 5. Now say you bought a car, and are going to sell it shortly, and you never title it.... this is jumping titles and can eventually come back to haunt you, but the chances of that in my personal experiences are slim to non. Usually happens is you can be caught if someone that doesnt like you rats you out. Typical penalties I would assume are fines. The government needs more money :alcoholic

Reverend Cooper
08-20-2006, 06:25 PM

ver very true....do not do that you will get in trouble with the cops for sure. just dcorrect. there is no law that says you cant title and sell it with your moms,dads,wifes,sisters or whomever as long as they consent

Moparjim
08-20-2006, 07:59 PM
You can sell as many as you like, at least I have never hit a limit and I have bought and sold more cars than anyone I know. At one time I had 13 cars! In fact I WANTED a dealer's license since they really don't cost too much and then you can get dealer's plates and get into the auto auction, but I couldn't get one if I wanted to - there's a bunch fo hard to meet requirements the main one is you need an indoor showroom space.

theavenger333
08-20-2006, 08:06 PM

i dated the title as the cop walked up......... worked fine