PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to join the army....

srt4eh
08-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Thats all I want to do...but things have to be difficult. I was honorably discharged on medical from the Marine Corps in February of 2003. I am healed and want to go back but not to the Corps. I'm looking at the army. They said I need a letter from my doctor saying I'm ok. Easy right? No. I went to my doctor today.....he wants me to go for an echocardiogram before he makes his decision (otherwise I'm fine). Unfortunately - I don't have insurance and can't afford the echo......grr. (In case you care....I was told that at the hospital it will cost me OVER $1,000.) I didn't realize it would be so difficult and costly to do my part for our country. I guess I'll find a way to get that money since this is what I really want to do. :mad:

Sorry if I wasted anyones time....I just needed to vent a little :(

hrsp
08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
wont the army pay for it..since you want to join and you need the doc to sign off for you? either way goodluck...

srt4eh
08-17-2006, 05:36 PM
i doubt it....but I'll ask tomorrow.

Crawlin
08-17-2006, 05:38 PM
definitely ask, i'm sure if there is some enlistment bonus, why can't you put it towards that?

otherwise...

www.blackwaterusa.com

:)

Yooformula
08-17-2006, 05:42 PM
What were you discharged for? Was it that serious? Maybe you can arrange for payments for the echo...

CruxGNZ
08-17-2006, 05:57 PM
I had an echocardiogram done a few years ago in a doctors office. He brought the equipment in just for me. My insurance wouldn't pay for it either, so I had to pay out of my own pocket, which wasn't anywhere near $1,000. What's funny, is as soon as I got the okay from the Doc that my ticker was just fine, my insurnace would then pay for everything else BUT the echo. I hate health insurance companys with a passion.

If stuff doesn't pan out for you, drop me a PM and I'll give you the doctors name and location.

Reverend Cooper
08-17-2006, 06:45 PM
talk to them the physical envolved with joining is huge, if they want you they will do it. tell your recruiter if he wants to make his quota he better figure it out. goodluck and thank you for your services...from a vetran

TransAm12sec
08-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Well in the end, won't you get alot more money from the Army?

hrsp
08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
btw..what does the "test" look for?

srt4eh
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
What were you discharged for? Was it that serious? Maybe you can arrange for payments for the echo...

i had fractures in both my fibulas......I also didn't have a waiver for the indent in my chest (pectus excavatum).

mrz28M6
08-17-2006, 09:11 PM
The MEPS doctors are horrible about crap like that.

fireguyrick
08-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Be careful with the Army though. I have a friend that was discharged from the Corps for "asthma". He disputed it, and got cleared as never having asthma. He attempted to rejoin the Corps, however, he needed an RE Code waiver, which the Squids denied. Then joined the Army. They happily gave him a waiver. Went to BCT, and was promptly discharged AGAIN. Why? The clinic said his military records from the Corps claimed he had asthma. Asthma is a automatic DQ, and that the waiver he HAD from the Army (which sited his DC from the Corps for asthma) meant nothing. Just make sure that ALL of your paperwork is inorder.

Personally, I would NEVER join the Army. For me it is the Corps ALL the way, but that is just me. Good luck on dealing with the MEPS and playing the waiver waiting game.

Rick

GTSLOW
08-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I would see if you can get the army to pay for the test. We are hurting for people so bad right now it's crazy! You should see some of the "Soldiers" well thats what they call them I guess, running around nowadays.

If you're serious about enlisting LMK I can give ya a few pointers and some things you wanna fight for when enlisting. $$$$

HITMAN
08-17-2006, 10:15 PM
definitely ask, i'm sure if there is some enlistment bonus, why can't you put it towards that?

otherwise...

www.blackwaterusa.com

:)

Glenn Beck was talking to a guy from Blackwater last week. Apparently those guys are pretty bad-ass and I think they get paid pretty well. Certainly better than what the US Armed Forces pay.

cheap80Z28
08-17-2006, 11:03 PM
you know now that you are a vet, why not trying to get in at the VA. get it for free, explain what you need and maybe they will get you in faster.

steve

Crawlin
08-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Glenn Beck was talking to a guy from Blackwater last week. Apparently those guys are pretty bad-ass and I think they get paid pretty well. Certainly better than what the US Armed Forces pay.

damn straight! i think it would be pretty badass to be something like these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ZHtAlcHlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQUuFo40Toc&mode=related&search=

Bart H
08-18-2006, 11:35 AM
get a new doctor have him give you a physical and be on your merry way

fireguyrick
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Thing with Blackwater USA is that you are required to have at least 4 years military service or something like 10 years of LEO work (like 2 or more years have to be with a SWAT team). I looked into not to long ago, just for sits and giggles.

Rick

srt4eh
08-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Be careful with the Army though. I have a friend that was discharged from the Corps for "asthma". He disputed it, and got cleared as never having asthma. He attempted to rejoin the Corps, however, he needed an RE Code waiver, which the Squids denied. Then joined the Army. They happily gave him a waiver. Went to BCT, and was promptly discharged AGAIN. Why? The clinic said his military records from the Corps claimed he had asthma. Asthma is a automatic DQ, and that the waiver he HAD from the Army (which sited his DC from the Corps for asthma) meant nothing. Just make sure that ALL of your paperwork is inorder.

Personally, I would NEVER join the Army. For me it is the Corps ALL the way, but that is just me. Good luck on dealing with the MEPS and playing the waiver waiting game.

Rick

i'd love to go back to the corps.....but they won't take me back....don't laugh but the band was my MOS and I can't get back into that either.

srt4eh
08-18-2006, 12:55 PM
you know now that you are a vet, why not trying to get in at the VA. get it for free, explain what you need and maybe they will get you in faster.

steve

i was denied VA benefits due to me not being in the service long enough. I get VA mailings all the time though....go figure.

GTSLOW
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
damn straight! i think it would be pretty badass to be something like these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ZHtAlcHlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQUuFo40Toc&mode=related&search=

Those guys were working with the Army in those videos.