PDA

View Full Version : Avalanch Coolant Problem

PHDcamaro
08-15-2006, 11:25 PM
a friend has an Avalanch..... this is the problem in her words

well ill put an ENTIRE THING of coolant in the reservoir, right. which is over the "fill to here" line to begin with. and then like 4 days later at the most, the damn thing is dinging to me about low coolant.

she says there is no leaking on the ground or burning on the block or manifolds

any thaughts

Waver
08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
internal headgasket leak? that is the only thing that I can think of...

GRAMPS SS
08-16-2006, 10:16 AM
my buddy whos a wrench for chev...says the are known for intake manifold gasket leaks...his 2000 taho had the same problem....he couln't figure it out and then they told him about the gaskets...so he changed them and all is good...you have to be carfull because on the back of the intake is a fitting..they like to break off when you pop the intake.....just a thought from someone who knows someone who had the same mistery problem....

Waver
08-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Did gm ever take care of the problem that they had with the dexcool where over time it would actually pit the intakes on them...When I worked for Richlonns Goodyear, we had a ton of gm trucks and 3.8 powered cars all come in with the same problem (the dexcool would clump up if it was low for a while)

PHDcamaro
08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
my buddy whos a wrench for chev...says the are known for intake manifold gasket leaks...his 2000 taho had the same problem....he couln't figure it out and then they told him about the gaskets...so he changed them and all is good...you have to be carfull because on the back of the intake is a fitting..they like to break off when you pop the intake.....just a thought from someone who knows someone who had the same mistery problem....

thats exactly what i was thinking

88Nightmare
08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
dexcool eats gaskets. gm refuses to identify the problem or do anything about it. its common to lose intake gaskets on dexcool coolant engines.

BadAzzGTA89
08-24-2006, 12:46 PM
dexcool eats gaskets. gm refuses to identify the problem or do anything about it. its common to lose intake gaskets on dexcool coolant engines.
Thus is true same thing for the 3800 engines not as commen as the V8 but still happens