PDA

View Full Version : Association tests online...try one

Baddriver01
08-14-2006, 08:27 PM
This is a link to a series of interesting tests online. Thy basically test your initial impressions of people. There is a racism test, age test, fat test, weapons tests, religion tests, even arab tests. This is a professional study done by Harvard and others. I use it in my Critical Thinking PHL251 class.

One thing to remember is the results are your first and initial impressions. We have the ability to analyze and filter out our biases and prejudices. The tests in no way is meant to tell you you're a racist, sexist...just your initial impressions of people and words. Enjoy

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

Teufelhunden
08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Yay, I'm not an a$$hole.
"Your data suggest little or no association between European American and African American with Harmless Objects and Weapons."

Baddriver01
08-14-2006, 10:41 PM
You were never an a$$hole :thumbsup . I actually weakly associated white-weapon, but I think it was more of a language issue (they both start with "W" so it was easy to remember) than a racial/violence issue. Thanks for trying it out.

hrsp
08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
my head hurts now...

Poncho
08-14-2006, 11:42 PM
absolutely stupid and false.

basis totally off.

it gets you used to associating words w/ a shade.

then flips it. then you start ******* up.

you could do the same with red and blue

your favorite color could be red, but the test could show that its results say red.

i'm actually kinda mad because the race one for example gets you used to a dark color w/ a set of words, and light with another.

That test is racist.

Baddriver01
08-15-2006, 08:38 AM
The reason the tests change the association of words and color is to test the difference in your reaction time, it is the part of the test that makes it unbiased. If they only showed a black guy and guns together it would be racist. The test switches it up to determine a baseline reaction and as a negative hypothesis to the test. If you go too slow, the test does not record your results and makes you try it again.

GRAMPS SS
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
suggest a strong preference to straight people campared to gay people.....

well dah.........................could of told that with out the test

deciuss
08-15-2006, 09:54 AM
There was an association test that we learned about in my social psychology class, if I remember correctly it was a word association with words like love, gun ect and you had to click if it was a negative word or a positive word and it would show a picture or a black person or a white person at the same time. The result of it was that white people scored higher with pairing positive words with white people and negative with black people. For affluent black people (doctors teachers ect) they paired more positive words with white people and for middleclass and lower they scored higher for more positive words towards black people then white people.

What was most interesting was that we watched a video on the results from 60 mints or one of thows shows and it showed the peoples reaction to the results. The white people where all astonished as to how that could be saying that they had no bad feelings towards black people and that the test was bias against black people. While the black people that showed a preference to black people where all like heck ya that’s right. I just found the reactions the most interesting

Baddriver01
08-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I think these are the same tests. It was aired on NOVA (10/36) a few times. It is interesting to see people's reactions to the results, even their own results can be surprising.

Sometimes our surface thoughts and subconscious thoughts are the same, but other times it seems like we train ourselves to ignore those first impressions and give people a second chance.

You said you had this in a sociology class? Cool. :thumbsup

deciuss
08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
its been a few months so it could be but i thought that it was a different website that we where given.

84hurst
08-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Very interesting web site! :thumbsup Most of the facts I already knew, but definately makes you think!