PDA

View Full Version : stupid people

ruhlahan
08-07-2006, 12:47 AM
rant-

ok, so I was having a conversation with a girl that went and saw the new ferril movie, the story of ricky bobby... or whatever...

and we got on the topic of racing, where she said that nascar is boring, which I agree.. but then she said, it doesn't take any talent. so I guess driving 200 mph bumper to bumper is easy? then why are there so many fender benders?

ok, on to drag racing, where she says, thats easy too.. all you gotta do is punch the gas and go..... I"m sitting here in awe, cause she's a self proclaimed racer or whatever, and has gone drag racing (which I'm sure is only done on the hwy)

but she likes auto x.. so its time to get under her skin a little bit "thats easy, you just punch it and go around cones.." that gets her a little upset, cause I guess thats the only kind of racing that takes any sort of talent...

why do people have mentality like that? so drag racing is in a straight line, if your car goes straight, which many of us know that doesnt always happen, espeically if you have some power. but not realize that conisistancy isn't always easy, and trying to cut a good light, plus 100 other things. thats why there are pros, and people like us (besides greg, he's in the pro category)

/rant

Yooformula
08-07-2006, 12:54 AM
I think it all involves skill and its just preference more than anything. It is just as hard to keep your car at redline while digging through twisties as it is to mentally time a light and manage perfect precise shifts while trying to maintain optimum power all withint 1/10th of a second. But alas ignorance is bliss I guess for some people.

Bart H
08-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Ahh you guys don't understand where she is coming from.

In drag racing everything is based to a certian extent on whp, tires and suspension setup but mostly whp. In Nascar every car is a cookie cutter car with very little difference but based on drafting, suspension and whoever has the biggest set of nutz. In autocross a low whp car can beat out high whp cars due to that they can manuver through the course faster, in other words it's not all about whp the driver comes more into play along with car setup.

I myself would rather watch a Lemans race or a Speed Gt race than Nascar.

H8RADE
08-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Wow.
Great thread.
Gurls R Dum.
Thanks for the update, John Stossel.
:thumbsup

ruhlahan
08-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Ahh you guys don't understand where she is coming from.

In drag racing everything is based to a certian extent on whp, tires and suspension setup but mostly whp.
not if you're bracket racing, where its about consistancy

having a preference is fine, Im the same way, i think nascar is pretty boring. but to put down every other type of racing? thats just ignorance

"why give a word to the wise, when its the ignorant ones that need it"

Slow Joe
08-07-2006, 12:05 PM
"why give a word to the wise, when its the ignorant ones that need it"

Because the wise will listen where the ignorant will just ignore it... Then that would be similar to talking to someone like Britney Spears... or a Wall... Same difference...

88Nightmare
08-07-2006, 12:59 PM
I personally like nascar. one false move and your whole race day is over. nascar is all about consistency as well. come to think about it, any style of racing has to do with consistency :D

Berettaspeed
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
all racing takes skill. to me nasecar is boring, but to the guys racing im sure its fun. drag racing you need to launch, shift, and keep you car straight. anyone can be consitantly bad. and the thing is too many people own autos and don't think about a manual. not that its hard for a manual if you drive one, but to people who drive autos, think manual is soo much work. throw that in.

auto X/road racing is tough too, becuase if you floor it, you just spin your tires and lose time. knowing the best time to hit your brakes, how fast to turn, fastest exit around a number of turns, and saving your tires. oh yeah not to mention avoiding other cars.

hell demo derbys take a great amount of skill or even rally racing

watching cars going around many turns is more fun to watch. drag racing gets boring to watch, nascar. i think rally racing is the best to watch. now those guys have skillz