I hope he will survive this ok.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/30253/

GTSLOW
08-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Lawsuit?

Sucks!!

nismodave
08-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I put in a better link describing it............How the hell did a deer jump out at before turn 6?

GTSLOW
08-03-2006, 11:51 PM
6 is by the bridge going up the hill right?

Been a while since I had the S10 out there. :durr

97z2801ss
08-03-2006, 11:54 PM
wow thats nuts

carkid0101
08-03-2006, 11:57 PM
thats horrible news

MurphysLaw88GT
08-03-2006, 11:57 PM
when the 99 cobras first came out, i was up with my uncle when he was racing. the guy in the spot next to us in the paddock trailered a new 99 cobra out BRAND NEW off the showroom. he totalled that car that day when he hit a rabbit or "rodent" of somekind. car was fvcked. he said "my wife will be pissed, as insurance wont cover this.. oh well".

nismodave
08-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Lets keep him in our Prayers. I hate this........

y2kws6
08-04-2006, 12:04 AM
There are deer, rabbits, turkeys and many other animals at RA. There is a contract that you sign to enter the track and part of that is the possibility of hitting an animal.

Dan

Guteman
08-04-2006, 12:13 AM
ow?

awsomeears
08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Hope he pulls threw.......

I'm sure the Deer around there are freaking out, so there just as scurred.

70challenger
08-04-2006, 12:25 AM
thats scary. when ur on the track, im sure thats the last thing ur looking for. hope hes alright though!

Guteman
08-04-2006, 12:29 AM
theres is video on streetfire.net with a race car sending a jack rabbit (i think) to jack rabbit heaven.. nothing was left of it

HITMAN
08-04-2006, 12:38 AM
"my wife will be pissed, as insurance wont cover this.. oh well".

And that, right there, is the reason my Cobra will never tour RA at speed. Insurance. I'm not rich enough to be able to absorb a $28,000 hit with nothing to show for it.:(
That's why God invented Honduhs. I will race my CRX there. If I wad it up, no big deal. Take off the salvageable parts and go buy another $1500 beater to put them on.:thumbsup

GTSLOW
08-04-2006, 01:55 AM
There are deer, rabbits, turkeys and many other animals at RA. There is a contract that you sign to enter the track and part of that is the possibility of hitting an animal.

Dan

Ah thanks for the clarification.

y2kws6
08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Ah thanks for the clarification.

Yeh they spelt "Opossum" as "Possum" on all their signs and info.:rolf

I have seen my fair share while being there. Those turkeys can jump really high.

Dan

wikked
08-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Imagine your a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little clearing with some dew on an oval cement road... you put your little deer lips to the cool clear water...when BAM a fückin Indycar t-bones you going 180mph. Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces, would you give a fück what kind of pants the son of a bìtch who ran you over was wearing?

PureSound15
08-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Those turkeys can jump really high.

Dan

Turkeys can fly:thumbsup

A 20 pound Tom will take a nasty chunk out of your bumper if you hit it going 55, a 12 gauge is a much easier way to take 'em out.

Back on topic... It says he was still full throttle into the tires:wow

Reverend Cooper
08-04-2006, 07:21 PM
yeah i heard about that this morning but they did not seem to make it sound so bad. after reading that it makes you wonder if he will live. this is why i hunt. hitting deer sucks. eating them is mighty tasty

eighty8fierogt
08-04-2006, 10:36 PM
hahaha thats hilarious, sucks he got hurt tho

HITMAN
08-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Imagine your a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little clearing with some dew on an oval cement road... you put your little deer lips to the cool clear water...when BAM a fückin Indycar t-bones you going 180mph. Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces, would you give a fück what kind of pants the son of a bìtch who ran you over was wearing?

:rolf
Nice paraphrasing of Marisa Tomei's little hunting diatribe in My Cousin Vinny. Good job! :thumbsup

Al
08-04-2006, 11:43 PM
I would have expected RA to have a VERY high fence around it to keep both animals and non-paying spectators out. I guess it doesn't.

I would not worry too much about a rabbit or turkey, but a deer! How does that happen?

nismodave
08-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Update.........:crying

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=227855&FS=F1

HITMAN
08-05-2006, 12:33 AM
On a serious note, this is very disheartening. It reminds me of the great driving god Ayrton Senna's demise...:(

I really hope he pulls through. What a sh*tty thing to happen to a great driver because they wont put up a fence tall enough to keep this kind of thing from happening. I hope the sanctioning bodies decide to boycott RA until this situation is rectified. Racing is a dangerous enough business without having to add errant wildlife into the mix... :mad:

MurphysLaw88GT
08-05-2006, 12:36 AM
sucks

nismodave
08-05-2006, 12:38 AM
On a serious note, this is very disheartening. It reminds me of the great driving god Ayrton Senna's demise...:(

I really hope he pulls through. What a sh*tty thing to happen to a great driver because they wont put up a fence tall enough to keep this kind of thing from happening. I hope the sanctioning bodies decide to boycott RA until this situation is rectified. Racing is a dangerous enough business without having to add errant wildlife into the mix... :mad:

I disagree........RA has been around for 51 years. And an accident of this magnitude is not common.

When you have any track in a rural area there is risks of wildlife getting in the track. I think this is a freak thing, and I highly doubt any series will Boycott RA.

If anything RA will perhaps hire sharpshooters to lower the local deer population around the track.

HITMAN
08-05-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't know...:confused

It seems to me that most people ignore stuff until it slaps them hard across the face. This might be just the sort of thing to cause an uproar and a call for drastic measures. Whatever it takes to lower the odds of something like this happening again...I'm for it.

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2006, 10:01 AM
you know tho dave. every time i have been at road america there has been some type of animal impact. at last years northwoods event at ra there was a guy that had a dear run into the side of his mustang. i think this has happened much more frequently then gets discussed. they do need to do something. or make sure that during tech. insp. all cars are equipt with a brushguard lol

Want_Notch
08-05-2006, 04:06 PM
I thought a fence of at least 6 feet surrounded the whole compound?

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2006, 04:15 PM
deer can jump that with out hardly even moving i have seen deer clear 10ft fences before with a slow trot

Want_Notch
08-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Time for a bigger fence i guess

how ya been Coop?

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2006, 04:24 PM
yeah i think in all reality they need a 12ft fence just to be safe,it will be less out of pocket then if they stop racing there due to the safety issues. doing great mikey, when will we get to see you and your car again,is the tranny fixed now ?

Heat Seeker WS6
08-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't know...:confused

It seems to me that most people ignore stuff until it slaps them hard across the face. This might be just the sort of thing to cause an uproar and a call for drastic measures. Whatever it takes to lower the odds of something like this happening again...I'm for it.

I've been going to that track and driving it for almost 10 years now and I know that entire place like the back of my hand I can tell you it would be darn near impossible to keep wildlife off the premesis and off that track.

Karps TA
08-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I'd hate to see larger fences around the track. What make RA so cool is how close you can get to the track.

Want_Notch
08-05-2006, 06:01 PM
It's getting fixed right now. I think it will be ready Tuesday

BigSnailBuick
08-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Wish I had money.. I would definatly throw dude a few bucks. Hope he recovers alright.:(

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2006, 07:03 PM
It's getting fixed right now. I think it will be ready Tuesday
good it willl be good to drive it again mikey....i hope the driver does make it tho it doesnt sound good

indyzmike
08-05-2006, 07:35 PM
I was at RA on Friday for a ChampCar fan appreciation day. It was free admission to watch the open testing from all around the track, open paddock, and a driver autograph session. The drivers were quite somber and the event was almost cancelled due to Thursday's accident.

Prayers to Shorty for a full recovery.

IndyZgirl and Nelson Phillipe
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f262/indyzmike/DSC00819.jpg

SSmike1
08-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I thought a fence of at least 6 feet surrounded the whole compound?

YES
there is an 8' tall fence, all the way around!

but, deer can not be TOLD what to do, and where to NOT go,
they are ANIMALS!

you can not Protect everyone in the WORLD, from every possible scenario!

SSmike1
08-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I've been going to that track and driving it for almost 10 years now and I know that entire place like the back of my hand I can tell you it would be darn near impossible to keep wildlife off the premesis and off that track.

Just like any other road!

john, you are correct.

nismodave
08-05-2006, 10:08 PM
YES
there is an 8' tall fence, all the way around!

but, deer can not be TOLD what to do, and where to NOT go,
they are ANIMALS!

you can not Protect everyone in the WORLD, from every possible scenario!

Exactly.

TransAm12sec
08-06-2006, 12:15 AM
When someone hit a deer years ago, they raised the fences. The problem is, when it snows in the winter, the deer can eaisly get over. When the snow melts, they can't get out.

At the building where the drivers sign in, there is a warning letting everyone know that this is a natural environment.

My boss taught me if the animal is smaller than you, hit it. When you're going at the limit, a sudden change in steering will send the car out of control. A rat usually isn't going to damage the car.

I haven't read the articles, but I hope the best for him.

HITMAN
08-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Darth Sidious:
"Wipe them out...all of them..."

:sniper

Al
08-06-2006, 01:50 AM
I am wondering if the deer got onto the track at turn 5 where there is NO fence to the paddok area, just a few tire walls.

y2kws6
08-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Most of the deer just trample(sp) the fences until it is down enough to jump over. They work on fixing those areas every year when we are there in April.

Dan

Heat Seeker WS6
08-06-2006, 08:40 AM
:banana1: They could just build a done over the facility and rename it the "Road America Done" and then we can run there deer & turkey free year'round.

Waver
08-06-2006, 09:27 AM
:banana1: They could just build a done over the facility and rename it the "Road America Done" and then we can run there deer & turkey free year'round.

That would be kind of cool, actually.....too bad it will never happen