PDA

View Full Version : Getting it to run good

MurphysLaw88GT
08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
i gotta put cap/rotor/points/condenser on it. also check for vaccum leaks. did plugs/wires. also mite need a coil. i pulled the coilwire off of the coil, and WATER leaked out of the coil. runs but wont idle. an hear a faint *pop*..*pop* in the xhaust when running, sounding like a misfire. well anyways....i got the car runnning, and whaddya know, m radiator sprung a teeny spring in one of the cores....i gotta re-core it. at least it is a 26 inch radiator, so it is worth re-coring. but all in all, started rite away after sitting for 13 years:banana1:

Korndogg
08-03-2006, 07:04 PM
congrats !!!!!

MurphysLaw88GT
08-03-2006, 07:37 PM
thanks. i will be doing 1 weeler peelers to remove surplus tread from the original meats soon enuf. gotta see what kind of K-JONES she has.

Korndogg
08-03-2006, 07:45 PM
haha good luck with that

Prince Valiant
08-03-2006, 09:26 PM
If you suspect a miss, just get it to idle (might have to ramp up the idle speed) and pull the wires, one by one...replacing after you've noted how the car runs after each ones has been pulled (if it runs worse and rougher, that cylinder WAS working...if there is no change, that cylinder WASN'T working).

You may find one or more cylinder's missing.

Now, that doesn't mean those ones ARE NOT getting spark though...take a light tester or a timming light to confirm if that's the case...

I'm betting that there IS a spark at those cylinders.

Next thing, pull the valve cover and not the rockers and pushrods...there may be a bent pushrod or a broken rocker.

If that's not the case, then suspect a bent/broken valve...try doing a leakdown test by borrowing a tester from someone...it's not common, but an exhaust valve could be burned out, especially since that thing probably has been going for years w/o leaded gas.

If leakdown testing is fine, then it's certainly a fuel problem...which, it probably is most likely anyways, like it's running WAY to lean :goof

MurphysLaw88GT
08-08-2006, 05:24 PM
put on points, cap,rotor, new coil (the kind that DOESENT have water in it!!!). runs way better now. especially after timing it. it was at like 2 degrees ATDC. now at 10 degreesATDC. Prince Valiant, what is the best ignition timing (base) for the 318.

rocket350olds
08-08-2006, 11:22 PM
i had the same type of problen with my car after i put a new cam in it, and it turned out to be too rich, because there was a lot of unburned gas going into the exaust and the exaust was hot enough to cause that type of a detonation. the timing should be at maybe 12 degrees BTDC

Prince Valiant
08-14-2006, 12:42 PM
put on points, cap,rotor, new coil (the kind that DOESENT have water in it!!!). runs way better now. especially after timing it. it was at like 2 degrees ATDC. now at 10 degreesATDC. Prince Valiant, what is the best ignition timing (base) for the 318.
10-12 initial with 34-36 total advance is generally considered best...I'd try to have the timing in around at least 3200rpm on a stock application, 3000 might be best.