PDA

View Full Version : Why saltwater fishing is the sh*t!

turbogarrett
08-02-2006, 07:33 PM
You never know what you're gonna tie into:thumbsup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5aeYJVV1LI

Prince Valiant
08-02-2006, 07:54 PM
that's what I've been saying...

turbogarrett
08-02-2006, 08:04 PM
After going on my first offshore trip a couple years ago, freshwater fishing has been a lot less exciting:D

Prince Valiant
08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I grew up in FL, and my parents used to have a 21 foot boat...we used to be out there 3 days a week. When Andy and I headed down we picked up some fish, but nothing exciting. This was up in jacksonville, and we'd fish the st. johns for jack crevalle and bluefish mostly. Weekends we'd head off-shore for amberjacks, kingfish, grouper, snapper's, and the occassional sail-fish or shark.

I've also spent some time on the flats and have caught the "flat's slam", IE, Permit, Redfish, snook...boy, let me tell you, nothing fights like a "lunker" snook (~33lbs), especially if you're using light tackle. Have caught a 60lb tarpon as well.

Another favorite is baracuda's...love catching them on the reef as that's when they are most unpredictable. Caught one that measured 52 inches and would clear 20 ft in the air on jumps...fortunately it didn't make for the boat on any jumps.

That was also the day that I hooked into a 9ft tiger shark...suddenly the fishing had died down and nothing was biting. Was about to pull the bait back -up, and got a big bite. After an hour or so with a moderately heavy rod got the shark within sight of the boat...I'll never forget the eyes on that thing. It then took off for mexico, shattering the rod with it :(

Nah, 4lb bass don't do much for me anymore either :)

SlowStee
08-02-2006, 11:55 PM
thats awesome!!!

makes me wanna go swimming in the ocean :eek:

MurphysLaw88GT
08-03-2006, 12:33 PM
king kong....or sharks for that matter, aint got $HIT ON ME!!

petej
08-03-2006, 12:44 PM
we go down to the keys once a year and used to stay with an old salt friend of ours who used to run charters, i could sit and listen to him tell stories all day, fishing down there will make you throw your bass and walleye takle away when you get home, my favorite catches over the years were 2 nurse sharks, and lots of barraccuta, my little brother also reeled up a sting-ray one day, i de-hooked it and tried throwing it back, upon doing so it tagged me in the hand...basically the worse pain i have ever felt lasted for a few hours

GTSLOW
08-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Nice video.

Was waiting for someone to fall in.

BigSnailBuick
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Haha that was great :rolf

fireguyrick
08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Eh, not exciting enough for me. I prefer to be IN the water when there are sharks around. Saltwater fishing IS better then inland though. Last time I went I got the WORST sunburn in my life. It was overcast, and I did not throw any sunblock on. Had it in the boat, and by the time I saw my skin turning red I said F it, cannot get much worse then this....BOY was I wrong.

Rick

turbogarrett
08-03-2006, 04:40 PM
I just got home monday from a trip on my buddies boat which is docked in Morehead City, NC. We fished all day saturday, spent the night in Cape Hatteras and fished our way back sunday. Unfortunately, we missed the blue marlin bite by a day or 2. We raised plenty of white marlin, sailfish and wahoo, but never got one to the boat:( At least we got a few dolphin......
My next quest for a blue marlin will be in Antigua next month, I'm booking a charter on my honeymoon and taking the wife big game fishing:D

Prince Valiant
08-03-2006, 05:06 PM
At least we got a few dolphin......FLIPPER?!? :wow
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/flipper.jpg
:goof

dolphin, AKA durado, or mahi-mahi for those not in the know...they look like this. All my midwestern friends shriek when I say "dolphin" :rolf

http://www.sfmexico.com/images/dorado.jpg

fireguyrick
08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
I love refering to true Dolphin as Dolphin. For Flipper, I refer to them as Purpose.

Rick

0TransAm0
08-03-2006, 08:27 PM
wow thats kinda cool i guess i wouldn't think a shark would do that.... then again i guess easy prey.

Prince Valiant
08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I love refering to true Dolphin as Dolphin. For Flipper, I refer to them as Purpose.

Rick
It is purpose that created us...Purpose that connects us...Purpose that pulls us... That guides us...That drives us...It is purpose that defines us...Purpose that binds us...

We are here because of you, Mr Anderson. We're here to take from you what you tried to take from us.-Agent Smith, Matrix Reloaded

fireguyrick
08-03-2006, 09:20 PM
It is purpose that created us...Purpose that connects us...Purpose that pulls us... That guides us...That drives us...It is purpose that defines us...Purpose that binds us...

We are here because of you, Mr Anderson. We're here to take from you what you tried to take from us.

Check your Rep.

Rick