PDA

View Full Version : What would you do...

T-Bag
08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
...if you started to lose motivation with your job on a daily basis?

I know i've posted threads before looking for a new job, but I'm really getting sick of this. Its getting to the point of me waking up every morning debating on whether I really want to go back to the rinse/repeat cycle that is my job.

I have a possibility of working for my dad, who just started up his own business after over 25 years in the telecommunications business. He does phone/paging system design and installs, something that allows you to work with your hands instead of dealing with the same **** on a daily basis.

The disadvantage of working for my dad is the lack of benefits...and no guaranteed amount of hours. However, I would get training in something more profitable to myself in the long run and wouldn't have to deal with the same people that piss me off on a daily basis. It would also allow me to land a job in the telecommunications field.

So what do you do? Leave your job with benefits/decent pay and guaranteed hours that you are starting to despise on a daily basis and have a severe lack of motivation,or do something new, lose benefits, and lose some money in the short term, but possibly gain more in the long term...that you won't hate (or at least...don't think so) ?

I'm leaning towards saying **** it and getting out of here, but would like to hear others opinions.

JohnnyT
08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
There is nothing worse than going to a job day after day that you hate. Afterall, you spend more time at work than just about anything else you do. If the job you are in is a dead-end and you have the opportunity to get into something else that will be better long term, I say take the chance and do it! The benefits are something you can work around. There are plenty of options for that. If you can afford to take a little cut in pay/hours now and that will allow you a more profitable future, it is kinda a no-brainer... Good luck.

pOrk
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Dude, I say go for it! Like Johnny said, there is NOTHING worse then hating your job.

I was with UPS for 3 1/2 years. I used to LOVE my job until recently, the union employees start getting shafted, non union employee's ( supervisors ) all got changed out, and things were getting more miserable every day.

I was informed of a great job oppertunity from a member here at BCM, and I start my new job on Aug 7th. I cant wait to for a change, its gonna be great!

77thor
08-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Screw it and get out

Bart H
08-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Leave the old and move on to the new.

Mssplayboybunie
08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Leave your job before it leaves you meaning if your not being enthused(sp) about getting up and going to work every day it will show in your performance and thats what happened to me I hated it so much they finally gave me some bs how the company was downsizing which cost me my job of a year 1/2, good luck to you though in whatever you choose to do.

jbiscuit
08-02-2006, 11:41 AM
take it and run!

Prince Valiant
08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Leave in a professional manner, and on good terms...and if the new job doesn't work out, maybe they'll hire you back if you needed it.

For some, it's just a change in attitude...I actually told the guy I recently interviewd that 1) I work to live, not live to work and 2) I don't really define myself by my job, I see my job for what it is, a means of support, and that I am really good at that means too.

Silver350
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Also remember your Dad is starting a buisness. I am sure if he offers you to work with him he is going to do the best to make sure that you have work and are taken care of. If that doesn't happens you can always find a job in Telecommunications else were. I work in Telecommunications and Computer support. I learned a lot working with phones doing installs and also programing phones in OTM for Nortel. The experiance you get could also help in getting into the field more perminate.

USMARINE1108
08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I say go for it. Not being happy on a daily basis is no way to live.

UnderPSI
08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Dude, I say go for it! Like Johnny said, there is NOTHING worse then hating your job.

I was with UPS for 3 1/2 years. I used to LOVE my job until recently, the union employees start getting shafted, non union employee's ( supervisors ) all got changed out, and things were getting more miserable every day.

I was informed of a great job oppertunity from a member here at BCM, and I start my new job on Aug 7th. I cant wait to for a change, its gonna be great!

You gonna work for Big Three? :D

pOrk
08-02-2006, 01:01 PM
You gonna work for Big Three? :D

:chair:

lol

DirtyMax
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Leave in a professional manner, and on good terms...and if the new job doesn't work out, maybe they'll hire you back if you needed it.

Great Advice. Tell them you have been asked to join the "family biz" and offer to stay a few more weeks until they can replace you (if your dad's timeline can/will allow that). If you don't burn any bridges, they would likely take you back anytime.

Flight_740
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Just remember, working for dad can be a Bltch. I should know. Trust me. We butt heads all the time.

whistlin six
08-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I went through the same deal Twisted, I was miserable every day.
Finally I lost all ambition and quit my career of over 20 years (fixing cars)
and started my own business doing handyman work on peoples houses.
Now I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner, it's been great working for myself instead of some idiot boss.

For the most part change is always good, you'll never know if you don't try
but most of all life is too short to be miserable every day so go for it.

T-Bag
08-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the advice guys

I will be speaking with my dad tonight or tomorrow on how everything is going to work, and hopefully be on my way out of here in a couple weeks.

Nix
08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I guess Im not the only one who HATES my job, but at this point in time Im stuck hwere Iam and there is really nothing that I can do about it at this point in time, which is the worst part mite I add.:crying

Berettaspeed
08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
i hate going to work, but once im there im okay. and its better on payday. overall i like what i do. all i can say it keep you job until something can replace it with what you want. and don't settle for less.

Poncho
08-03-2006, 09:53 PM
take the job, but make sure you have something to fall back on, just in case.

whenever I lose my motivation, I go down to my garage, open the door and sit behind the wheel of my GTO and just close my eyes.

i actually did that today, and I'll be honest as frustrated as I am w/ everything, like how I can work 55 hours a week, 6 days a week and it's not enough, that today, i teared up a moment from frustration.

so anyway. weigh your options, and make sure all your loose ends are taken care of.

Guteman
08-04-2006, 12:22 AM
id quit