PDA

View Full Version : Can we make somethings manditory?

Firefighter Z
08-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Can we make it manditory to have Where You Live and other Info manditory

I'm tired at looking at these noob's that don't have any information...:confused I'm starting to get a bald spot from scratching my head :rolf

Wanna be apart of something? Fill in the boxes it doesn't hurt.:thumbsup

88Nightmare
08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
I like this idea

77thor
08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I like this idea

+2

Heat Seeker WS6
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I'd rather that my location not be public. I can be asked if somebody wants to know where I live.

Firefighter Z
08-01-2006, 11:54 AM
We all know where you live John, it's at Culvers. LOL!!!

animal
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah good idea :goof

STKMACH
08-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I live there too, Got to get my mail today.....

RanJer
08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I'd rather that my location not be public. I can be asked if somebody wants to know where I live.

I don't think he's looking for an address... Just moreso the city. It'll help pinpoint the Chicago guys too!

wikked
08-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Annnd what's going to stop someone from lying? :goof

Some newb could register with "Zion, IL" and live in West Allis.

Good idea, but probably wouldn't work too well.

Holeshot
08-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Annnd what's going to stop someone from lying? :goof

Some newb could register with "Zion, IL" and live in West Allis.

Good idea, but probably wouldn't work too well.
Won't an IP trace confirm that though?

animal
08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Won't an IP trace confirm that though?

Not without being a total pain in someone's ass. The IP geolocation stuff is screwed and unreliable. Even my company located only in this area has an IP geolocation on the east coast, presumably based on our ISP. You can trace IP's back to their primary routers and attempt to figure out where they're at, but it's tough to do automatically, and it'd require our already busy admins to do more work just to police where someone says they're from... as if it even matters one bit.

This is really a lost cause.

Lash
08-01-2006, 06:56 PM
muhahahaha!!!

GTSLOW
08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I like this idea

+3

But like mentioned who knows if they will fill in the box correctly

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Not without being a total pain in someone's ass. The IP geolocation stuff is screwed and unreliable. Even my company located only in this area has an IP geolocation on the east coast, presumably based on our ISP. You can trace IP's back to their primary routers and attempt to figure out where they're at, but it's tough to do automatically, and it'd require our already busy admins to do more work just to police where someone says they're from... as if it even matters one bit.

This is really a lost cause.

Just to add... I'm mobile all day and I can find an unsecured network in any neighborhood in any town in southeastern Wisconsin and get a connection...

What do these things have to do with anything? You gonna go beat someone up for leaving you bad rep points??? Sheesh...

"I live in Wheelieville" :goof

MurphysLaw88GT
08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
how do you secure a network, i belive neighbors are currently going to town on our dsl, and i am retarted. how can i tell

animal
08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
how do you secure a network, i belive neighbors are currently going to town on our dsl, and i am retarted. how can i tell

If your wireless router ONLY has WEP encryption, there's really nothing you can do to stop someone who really wants in on your wireless network, it's only a matter of time before they can crack 128bit WEP.

For much better security, you want to get a router and wireless card that supports WPA security protocols, which is essentially WEP that changes a lot more often.. even then WPA is still possible to be cracked, though it'd take way way more than simply someone wanting free internet off you. I did have a friend that cracked a neighborhood WEP router, then re-broadcasted it as a wide open network for the neighborhood to use :goof

The only completely secure network is the non existant one, followed by a closed wired one. For you, enable whatever security you can, and it will likely deter 90% of the people that would spend the time to steal your internet.

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Login to the router via a web browser and change the settings. Enable encryption settings, do not broadcast your SSID and you can also limit the computers in the house by establishing what IP's are allowed to use the wireless connection.

Better watch it, because a LOT of routers are left unsecure. You can pull up in front of a house, login to the router and change the password!

Depending on what brand of router you have, you can login to by opening your browser and typing
http://192.168.1.1 (typical for Linksys products)
or
http://192.168.0.1 (typical for Netgear products)

then you will be asked for the user and password.
The defaults (if you have not changed them) are usually "admin" and "admin" or on Netgear "admin" and "password" (yes password is the password!)
CHANGE THE USER AND PASSWORD!!!

Don't leave your network wide open like that...

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:07 PM
The only completely secure network is the non existant one, followed by a closed wired one. For you, enable whatever security you can, and it will likely deter 90% of the people that would spend the time to steal your internet.

Yup. It's better to at least try to keep out the "regulars". Obviously you can't keep out everyone... :devil

animal
08-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Just to add... I'm mobile all day and I can find an unsecured network in any neighborhood in any town in southeastern Wisconsin and get a connection...

... as we used to call it "war driving", and there's at LEAST 6 unsecured networks available on every street corner on the east side of milwaukee. Some of those included banks and businesses! Scary thought, hopefully they cleaned that up.

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Oh yea, forgot! Don't allow remote management of your router. Make it so only a wired machine can change the settings... ;) (Assuming you have a hard-wired machine in the home)

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:11 PM
... as we used to call it "war driving", and there's at LEAST 6 unsecured networks available on every street corner on the east side of milwaukee. Some of those included banks and businesses! Scary thought, hopefully they cleaned that up.

Dave... I find them EVERYWHERE man. I mean EVERYWHERE! I get all over the place for my work and even though I have my own wireless broadband, if I forget and leave my internal card enabled, it finds unsecured networks all over..

animal
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
do not broadcast your SSID and you can also limit the computers in the house by establishing what IP's are allowed to use the wireless connection.

IP and MAc address filtering, and SSID masking are only secure until another computer is talking to the router though... once it does you can pull that info out like anything else. Then again you're also talking about people that could break those measures would be able to break wep anyways.

I love the false sense of security people get lured into with new words like "integrated firewall". It's actually somewhat amusing. :thumbsup

Yooformula
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Anyway to tell is someone is jacking your wireless?

Yooformula
08-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Well jsut found out I dont remember my password....

animal
08-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Dave... I find them EVERYWHERE man. I mean EVERYWHERE! I get all over the place for my work and even though I have my own wireless broadband, if I forget and leave my internal card enabled, it finds unsecured networks all over..

yeah, I'd imagine it's even more rampant now. We were doing this before most routers even had 128bit WEP... let alone someone that understood how to configure them in the home. It was more to see how many open shares were out there and get some good mp3's :D

I was surprised though, one of my friends in an apartment in racine, I went there with my wep crackin tools and couldn't find a wireless network for anything in the whole complex.

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:18 PM

Sure... view the active connections in the router's control panel...

animal
08-01-2006, 10:19 PM

Carefully review your wireless router logs... they'll be located in the router config program somewhere. Just make sure that the only entries in there are MAC addresses for your computers. You can retrieve your mac addresses by going to Start > Run then type: cmd <enter> Then type: ipconfig /all<enter> and read the "physical addresses" of the wireless cards. Crossreference that to the router logs. If there's any in there that aren't yours they may be external people. That will give you people that don't understand anything in depth.

Anyone whose any good can mask that from you anyway, so the only way to catch everyone is to sniff your router WAN port, log it all, and make sure the only outgoing traffic is stuff that you generated.

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
IP and MAc address filtering, and SSID masking are only secure until another computer is talking to the router though... once it does you can pull that info out like anything else. Then again you're also talking about people that could break those measures would be able to break wep anyways.

I love the false sense of security people get lured into with new words like "integrated firewall". It's actually somewhat amusing. :thumbsup
I think we can agree that these things are like padlocks and door locks.

They keep honest people out... ;)

animal
08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Sure... view the active connections in the router's control panel...

Or that is the short way :D

animal
08-01-2006, 10:21 PM
I think we can agree that these things are like padlocks and door locks.

They keep honest people out... ;)

Well, true. So are you "dishonest" if you do it merely to say you did, but do nothing within that network and back out as soon as you do? :devil

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Or that is the short way :D

:goof

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Well, true. So are you "dishonest" if you do it merely to say you did, but do nothing within that network and back out as soon as you do? :devil

Well now I plead the 5th... :banana1:

animal
08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, we're 1337 h4x0rz :goof

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah, we're 1337 h4x0rz :goof

Your expertise far exceeds mine sir. :thumbsup

animal
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Your expertise far exceeds mine sir. :thumbsup

Funny, I usually feel humbled in your presence greg :)

Greg@GLD
08-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Funny, I usually feel humbled in your presence greg :)

But... why?

Your green weiner is longer than mine is! :goof :rolf

animal
08-01-2006, 10:39 PM
But... why?

Your green weiner is longer than mine is! :goof :rolf

LOL, I finally got that. :thumbsup

Teufelhunden
08-04-2006, 04:41 PM
You are both ub3r h4x0rz /1337