PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Carlos Lee

Silver350
07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
For any brewers fans

El Cabio went bye bye

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060728&content_id=1579449&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

DirtyMax
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
They might as well have kept him and just let him leave at the end of the season.

The Brewers got mediocre players for him AND gave up a likely replacement in power outfielder Nelson Cruz. :fire

They are only 6 games out of the wild card but this trade pretty much tells me thay are throwing it in this year... :chair:

Silver350
07-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I pretty much got that also.

Also it kind of sounds like lee will still be a free agent after this season. Fricken retarded.

Thank you Doug Melvin for killing the brewers possible chance of being a .500 team for two years in a row.

wikked
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
OMFG CRUZ TOO!!! WTFFFFF :chair:

They got F'd in the A on this one... holy shìt.

Let's see, going by Yahoo fantasy rankings:
Carlos Lee - 11
Nelson Cruz - 1066 (not available - in Minors)

Francisco Cordero - 184 (horrible for pitchers)
Kevin Mench - 274 (horrible as well, outfielders dime a dozen)
Laynce Nix - 1059 (not available - in Minors)
Julian Cordero - no MLB experience.

Although you can't predict the future, Nelson Cruz is predicted to be really damn good, better than the junk we got in return.

MAYBE it might have been a good trade if we just sent Cruz for all 4.

Yea, it's true we could just buy back Lee at the end of the year... but if that was the case we would have just kept him.
Now we're going to be way over the 50m (60m in 2007, but too late by then) cap the Brewers have... fleh.

Can't wait to see the attendance drop from this jerkass move.

DirtyMax
07-28-2006, 12:45 PM
ugh... can't wait to see the attendance drop from this jerkass move.

Oh, and it totally will too. Unless they have something else up their sleeve over the weekend. Let's hope so. :mad:

Silver350
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I just turned down going to the game from a co worker.

Also the only person that might get a chance to play is Francisco Cordero. You think Mench is going to play outfield. He will probally be bench for the year and It will probally be Hart, Clark and Jenkins in the outfield. With Gross and Gwen as alternates. Way to trade someone that is useful to the club for completly useless players.

Melvin just did a trade like little kids trade baseball cards.

Hey Billy I will give you four of my baseball cards for your one card of carlos lee, You would be getting a great deal because that card is probally not worth that much.

Billy Ok (billy goes home and shows his mom his four new baseball cards that doesnt mean anything to her)

Karps TA
07-28-2006, 01:17 PM
My guess is something else must be in the works. Hopefully trading Jenkins for a 5th racing sausage or something.

But if this is all that happens, well then it's a terrible trade.

I don't understand the giving up Cruz, however it makes me wonder if he was so good why they brought up Gwynn instead of him.

We will see, still 2-3 days to make moves. Melvin has done a very good job with trades so far.

I am glad they didn't overpay Lee though. If he turned down 12 mil a year, then he wasn't worth keeping.

DirtyMax
07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
a 5th racing sausage or something.

The fifth sausage actually makes its debut this weekend so that trade is out.

Maybe they can trade Jenks for a few cheerleaders... :goof

Silver350
07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
My guess is something else must be in the works. Hopefully trading Jenkins for a 5th racing sausage or something.

:rolf :rolf :thumbsup

Reason why Melvin didnt want to pay 12 million more for Lee is because that is 12 million less that would be going into his pocket.

Karps TA
07-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Take a look at FA who sign big money deals after they are 30 and tell me how many turn out to be worth it. It's very rare and it's usually the player that ends up killing and organization. I really like Lee as a player, but he's not a $15 mil guy. You can't just overpay someone like that. You're better off locking up young players like Prince, and Weeks and Hart who have plenty of good years ahead of them.

Silver350
07-28-2006, 01:55 PM
But why get ride of someone in the middle of the season. I though Dougy thing was to get in a play off spot. If they didnt think he was worth that money then they should of just let him go at the end of his year when his contract was up.

Karps TA
07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Cause they are out of it. You don't lose 2 of 3 at home to the Pirates and think you have a chance. Had they maybe not completely dumped right after the all-star break they would have kept him. But they are losing games with him.

What good does keeping him do? Then come the offseason he leaves and you get zero for him. Maybe theres a chance one of these players turns out. Capuano was suppossed to be a stiff before he came here, and he turned out alright.

Besides if they really want him back they can resign him in the offseason.

PB86MCSS
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Karp sums it up very well. Although by losing Lee as a free agent they would get 2 very high draft picks(now the Rangers stand to, if they lose him), whichever team signs him's 1st round pick(as long as it isn't a top 10 pick, IIRC, otherwise their 2nd round pick) and a supplemental pick (right after the 1st round). Might not sound great but its better than nothing. The rumor is they offered 4years for 48 million and he turned it down, so I'd agree not to go any higher and get what you can for him. Derrick Lee is about the same age with slightly better numbers and much better defensively and got 12 per year. We don't know what other teams were offering but you have to trust Melvin's track record so far with the team, give him the benefit of the doubt.

I also think Cruz isn't projected as well as some people think, hes been a very good minor leaguer but has bounced around, never really made it yet...might be a reason. Supposedly he has a long swing and K's way too much...and if you strikeout alot in the minors, you aren't going to improve it at the next level. Mench is a decent starter, hes no Lee but not a slouch either. Cordero was very good in a setup role and will help right away. Nix was a good prospect but never developed, maybe he gets a chance here but with so many OF's ready it does appear they are going to make another move or two, Clark, Jenkins or even Mench could get dealt before the deadline for more pitching, IMO. The team isn't bad and as good as Lee was, they will be just fine without him I think. This off-season shore up the bullpen, let Davis go and put Jackson in the rotation. Gwynn Jr. in CF, Hart and Jenkins/Mench on the corners. Overall this trade maybe has them lose 2-3 more games than they normally would of this year, IMO. Not the end of the world, bottom line they need the pitching to improve to get to the next level as well as some of the young talent to step it up consistantly, which they probably will but its a process(Fielder, Weeks, Hall).

wikked
07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
At least Weeks isn't booting the ball every other play lately :goof

Shrek might be decent if he can get back into the 7hr's in 7 straight games tear he had earlier in the year, but yea, where are they gonna play him...

theavenger333
07-28-2006, 04:00 PM
they offered lee a 4 year, 48 million dollar deal. he liked the money but wanted the years. i agree, WAY too little in return, Fcordero hasn't been throwing strikes, hence his lost Closer role. Mench gives us essentially 2 geoff jenkins' power outfielders who ARENT hitting for power, and are incredibly streaky. Nix is a throw in for AAA. however, this Julian Cordero is a FIREBALLER. great prospect, but still its not overall worth Lee imo.

hrsp
07-28-2006, 04:24 PM
another grim day for the brewers...

Cryptic
07-28-2006, 08:12 PM
By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

neeto, I graduated with him, he went to Eisenhower 96'

hrsp
07-28-2006, 08:54 PM
neeto, I graduated with him, he went to Eisenhower 96'
thats cool sh7t

Knyghtmare
07-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Why are the Brewers so god damn self destructive? Its like they dont want to win. Reminds me of "Major League" where they want them to lose. I hate baseball.

PB86MCSS
07-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Its part of the game, you can't keep everyone especially if they are going to be overpaid. Its business and also building a winning team consistantly. X amount of dollars can only go so far and in Milwaukee's market, you can't overspend like the Yankees. Just have to be more creative/smart than they are.

hrsp
07-28-2006, 09:05 PM
^ yup

Daytonapacecar959
07-28-2006, 09:16 PM
The Brewers also just traded for Phillies 3rd baseman David Bell,they didn't say who they traded away.

Karps TA
07-28-2006, 09:20 PM
a minor league pitcher.

Listening to Baseball tonite on ESPN, they like the Lee trade. They seem to think Mynch will fit in great here. Lee wanted 5 years 75 mil. That's way too much for him.

Every other team was just offering minor league prospects. So that being said I'm warming up to the trade alot.

I'm just dissapointed Jenkins is till here.

theavenger333
07-28-2006, 09:22 PM
if they traded for bell, and took on Mench and Nix, Jenkins is going to be moved. so will Koskie. clearing payroll, next season Attanasio will bump the payroll 10mil. good free agent crop this off season. alas, we think of "next year" HOWEVER, i think we'll be suprised with what this team might do even without Lee the rest of this season....

Goat Roper
07-28-2006, 09:55 PM
If we can keep pitchers healthy, we will be fine.